IGNORED

What is the most objectively universally objectionable game?

GPX

On 10/23/2021 at 7:32 AM, Tanooki said:

And before that AVGN idiot it was the perpetual largely anti-Nintendo bullshit mill that was Exaggeration Gaming Monthly which taught an entire generation and more not to trust the media before the online stuff got patently bought off and stupid.  Lies as rumors, lies about what a game did or didn't do, if they preferred the competitor or hated a specific company (third party, etc.)  EGM was like gospel for shitting on stuff back in the 80s and 90s before online took off and people just ran with it, because if it was printed it was true.  Same dumb mentality for dinging Friday the 13th, the dim bulbs just switched from printed crap to video crap on youtube.

I think the AVGN is somewhat misunderstood as a genuine reviewer as opposed to him being a parody of a reviewer, focusing mainly on the shitty aspects of the games that he touches. He needs to find things to get him angry about to live up to his title.

You got to take his reviews with a grain of salt, as I reckon half of the games he reviews aren’t necessarily all that bad (for the 80s). Still, he is an absolute comic genius!

• Like 2

AVGN's whole schtick is making a big deal out of things that aren't that big a deal. If it's a 4/10 or 3/10 game, he reacts to it like its a 1/10. It's a character trait to exaggerate. He can't help if people form their actual opinions on the games from his videos without actually playing them.

As far as the Friday the 13th issue, everyone is saying it's not that bad. But the expectation is that it should be a very good game. Which is worse, Raid 2020 being shitty or Friday the 13th being shitty? Friday the 13th. Because you REALLY want that to be a good game. It's a BIGGER disappointment because you expect more from a franchise (at that time anyway. We all know most movie games are shit nowadays). 

Anyway, there's no actual good answer to this question. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

wut

EGM was gold in the late 90s.  By far the most reliable reviews.

Agree to disagree, at least as far as Nintendo reviews go.  I saw some true and epic lying fucking whoppers from them that made me cancel the sub, yet those desperate twats you know what they did?  Mailed me free ones even after the fact for a year or two, stopped for a year, and then continued for some year/years after which was just strange.

A few stand out to me as epic levels of bullshit, but one that really did it was when they claimed that when Mortal Kombat came out that the Nintendo version of the console game looked worse, sounded worse, has less this and that over the Genesis it was equally parts laughable and infuriating (other than the stupid no blood Nintendo rule.)  Laughable they'd print it, and infuriating so many stupid kids believed every drop of that lie as fact.  EGM acted like a trusted source supposedly leaving the false stories, guesses and opinions with the Q-mans area which hardly was the case.  A few years later made an acquiantance with a former Philips employee, the story he told me what EGM did to them over the CDi and review materials was utterly disgusting and I'd have canceled again had they not been mailing the things free.  But that is just a simple story of utter blackmail and consequences there.

The truth of it was with EGM, they were a so called gold standard, and a gold standard, but which depended on what system they were a fan of.  If they preferred you the coverage was utterly amazing, if not, well...you'd find more truth in a story written by The Onion.

4 hours ago, GPX said:

I think the AVGN is somewhat misunderstood as a genuine reviewer as opposed to him being a parody of a reviewer, focusing mainly on the shitty aspects of the games that he touches. He needs to find things to get him angry about to live up to his title.

You got to take his reviews with a grain of salt, as I reckon half of the games he reviews aren’t necessarily all that bad (for the 80s). Still, he is an absolute comic genius!

Personally I get that, I really do, but my utter disgust and being tired with it for years now, is that there are just so many dumb people out there who don't get that simple concept.  Sadly seems there are far more stupid people than ones who get it which makes it worse.  Things he dumps on, even with decent games because he needs to nerd rage over some aspect has condemned quite a few fine games to the dust bin of being crap because he said so, or someone said so because they got it from a source (him) not saying as much.  In his case of being a comic genius, I'd say sure, but largely too smart for the room. 🙂

Editorials Team · Posted
23 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Agree to disagree, at least as far as Nintendo reviews go.  I saw some true and epic lying fucking whoppers from them that made me cancel the sub, yet those desperate twats you know what they did?  Mailed me free ones even after the fact for a year or two, stopped for a year, and then continued for some year/years after which was just strange.

A few stand out to me as epic levels of bullshit, but one that really did it was when they claimed that when Mortal Kombat came out that the Nintendo version of the console game looked worse, sounded worse, has less this and that over the Genesis it was equally parts laughable and infuriating (other than the stupid no blood Nintendo rule.)  Laughable they'd print it, and infuriating so many stupid kids believed every drop of that lie as fact.  EGM acted like a trusted source supposedly leaving the false stories, guesses and opinions with the Q-mans area which hardly was the case.  A few years later made an acquiantance with a former Philips employee, the story he told me what EGM did to them over the CDi and review materials was utterly disgusting and I'd have canceled again had they not been mailing the things free.  But that is just a simple story of utter blackmail and consequences there.

The truth of it was with EGM, they were a so called gold standard, and a gold standard, but which depended on what system they were a fan of.  If they preferred you the coverage was utterly amazing, if not, well...you'd find more truth in a story written by The Onion.

I mean, Mortal Kombat on SNES is a pretty shitty game...  Can't speak for the Genesis version.  And I can't see indicting an entire magazine over one difference of opinion either.  Not everyone will agree on every game.

40 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I mean, Mortal Kombat on SNES is a pretty shitty game...  Can't speak for the Genesis version.  And I can't see indicting an entire magazine over one difference of opinion either.  Not everyone will agree on every game.

Yeah and I agree on that, but it's not one game, it's just one memorable example of a lot of stuff.   And I don't know if I'd go as far as shitty, maybe out of spite because of it being Immortal Combat (with extra sweat!) but like or hate it, the colors, visuals overall, audio on the SNES were superior across the board on this game.  We had both copies of it in the house as my brother got suckered in by Sega before the SNES appeared so it really wasn't hard to side by side compare. 🙂

On 10/21/2021 at 8:55 PM, mbd39 said:

If we count unlicensed then Action 52 is the objective worst hands down.

I've never played Ghostbusters on the NES, but that staircase section doesn't look fun at all.

I played Ghostbusters on Atari. The Atari version just has a final battle with Stay Puff. So you don’t have to deal with that stair case section. 

Edited by themisfit138

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

True, but then you have to deal with it being on the 2600 😛  Play the SMS version instead.

Eh, aside from the caveman era graphics, it's not too different from the computer versions. The SMS version is probably the best port of that game, though (although its staircase level is merely tolerable, compared to the abomination that is the NES one.)

There's also apparently a "remastered" NES hack that improves the staircase by using the d-pad.

26 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Eh, aside from the caveman era graphics, it's not too different from the computer versions. The SMS version is probably the best port of that game, though (although its staircase level is merely tolerable, compared to the abomination that is the NES one.)

There's also apparently a "remastered" NES hack that improves the staircase by using the d-pad.

Yeah, but that hack also changes some of the basics of gameplay.  It's not bad, but the core mechanics changed in a way that I find detrimental to the game as a whole.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, but that hack also changes some of the basics of gameplay.  It's not bad, but the core mechanics changed in a way that I find detrimental to the game as a whole.

Oh, do you mean the lack of independent control on the Ghostbusters during the ghost trapping sequences?

22 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Oh, do you mean the lack of independent control on the Ghostbusters during the ghost trapping sequences?

I didn't notice that.  Naw, I was referring more to not having starting money and having to fuck around for a while to even be able to bust ghosts in the first place.

Oh, yeah, that's lame.

The original game, when you were busting random ghosts at a location, allowed you to switch back and forth between the two Ghostbusters. The hack has them move together, but inverse (either closer or further apart.)

How do you improve on a game in one aspect and yet decide to fuck around with the parts that aren't broken?

40 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Oh, yeah, that's lame.

The original game, when you were busting random ghosts at a location, allowed you to switch back and forth between the two Ghostbusters. The hack has them move together, but inverse (either closer or further apart.)

How do you improve on a game in one aspect and yet decide to fuck around with the parts that aren't broken?

It may have been a necessary change in order to facilitate the stairwell changes.  Remember, it's a hack and not a remake.  Changing parts of the code can in fact fuck with parts unrelated to the changes.

On 10/23/2021 at 10:24 PM, ThePhleo said:

Is Cheetahmen II still "so bad it's good" or has its cultural significance passed?

It's got slight fame, a review by basically every youtube game reviewer of 2008 - 2013, and it actually sucks!

Cheetahmen… cultural significance…

I hear the Cheetahmen song on retro gamer Youtube enough that there’s definitely one part of that game people like. It’s a bop. 

58 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Cheetahmen… cultural significance…

I hear the Cheetahmen song on retro gamer Youtube enough that there’s definitely one part of that game people like. It’s a bop. 

Yeah, significant.

AVGN Review, Memes made for YEARS, Music remixes across the world especially in Japan, even featured in a top Nico nico douga dog..whatever remix

its big for what it is.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:18 PM, Tulpa said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

Going by this list, I don't know very many that would stick up for M.U.S.C.L.E.

I stick up for M.U.S.C.L.E. I played the hell out of it on the multicarts and I still think it's the best wrestlin' game on the NES.

16 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I stick up for M.U.S.C.L.E. I played the hell out of it on the multicarts and I still think it's the best wrestlin' game on the NES.

While I don't agree, I do feel it doesn't deserve the hate either.  But I also feel your like towards a hated on wrestling game when it comes to Tag Team Wrestling as that's a solid little arcade port people kind of spit on too.

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

While I don't agree, I do feel it doesn't deserve the hate either.  But I also feel your like towards a hated on wrestling game when it comes to Tag Team Wrestling as that's a solid little arcade port people kind of spit on too.

The characters move smoothly around the ring, the controls are responsive and it's cool to pull your power moves, even if some are on another level of cheap bullshit. A little variety in the move sets would have helped this game maybe.

I'm with you on Tag Team Wrestling big time. It's an acquired taste, sure I thought it was weird at first having to select my moves from a menu, but it works. I definitely like it more than the WWF/WCW games on NES

• Agree 1

My answer to the topic is: No Man's Sky. It's the biggest hype/flop I can think of. 

I think one game that has been played, not by the most people but by a high % of console owners then that wasn't good is Urban Champion. A few quick rounds on a multicart is okay, but as a standalone game it's not even worth a rental.

On 10/23/2021 at 1:43 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

wut

EGM was gold in the late 90s.  By far the most reliable reviews.

I think the Game Players Magazine, under Imagine Publishing, had the best reviews. They gave Earthbound a 69% score, which accurate and on-point for a thematic crude joke. Nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

My answer to the topic is: No Man's Sky. It's the biggest hype/flop I can think of. 

I think one game that has been played, not by the most people but by a high % of console owners then that wasn't good is Urban Champion. A few quick rounds on a multicart is okay, but as a standalone game it's not even worth a rental.

No Man's Sky was decent after a few patches though.  I wouldn't call it great, but it's way ahead of where it started.

As for Urban Champion, yeah, I dig the game, but not THAT much.  I would've hated it as a rental because I'd be done after like an hour at most.  It was fun to play on my buddy's multicart though.

6 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I think the Game Players Magazine, under Imagine Publishing, had the best reviews. They gave Earthbound a 69% score, which accurate and on-point for a thematic crude joke. Nice.

3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

No Man's Sky was decent after a few patches though.  I wouldn't call it great, but it's way ahead of where it started.

As for Urban Champion, yeah, I dig the game, but not THAT much.  I would've hated it as a rental because I'd be done after like an hour at most.  It was fun to play on my buddy's multicart though.

No Man's Sky sucked so hard at launch. Definitely one of my biggest day one purchase regrets, right up there with Road Rash 3D for PlayStation. Still, neither of those games is even in the top 100 worst games ever made.