IGNORED

What is the most objectively universally objectionable game?

GPX

I would like to pose a question: what game has been played by the masses that is the most disliked? Another way of looking at it, what game has the most number of dislikes by gamers in the world?

——————

I’ll start with a game that was one of my pet hates in the 16-bit era, Fantasia for the Megadrive/Genesis. Most Sega lovers would have loved Castle of Illusion, so would have been itching to try Fantasia. Also the kids and parents would have gone bonkers over most Disney games back then. Such lovely graphics matched by nonsensical hit detection and zero replayability..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My first thought would be Postal or something similar (wasn't there a Columbine-based game?) but I've never played it.

My second thought might be the 2010 reboot of Splatterhouse.  Though I love the originals, the reboot looked pretty sloppy and played about the same.  I can't imagine most people expected to see Rick jam his muscular arm up a giant monster's sphincter then rip its guts out through its anus.  I mean, that's almost as ugly as playing Genesis Fantasia lol

House of the Dead Overkill had a pretty objectionable ending too, though I wouldn't apply that adjective to the rest of the game.

Edited by glazball
  • Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

Going by this list, I don't know very many that would stick up for M.U.S.C.L.E.

For NES games in general that would have been played by a number of kids, I think the X-Men game would be up there. I don't know what the sales were, but I rarely see anyone defend it. I'm not sure as many kids played something like Where's Waldo or Dragon's Lair, or most of the unlicensed stuff that's poorly regarded.

For SNES, was Shaq-Fu or Pit Fighter widely played?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

Going by this list, I don't know very many that would stick up for M.U.S.C.L.E.

For NES games in general that would have been played by a number of kids, I think the X-Men game would be up there. I don't know what the sales were, but I rarely see anyone defend it. I'm not sure as many kids played something like Where's Waldo or Dragon's Lair, or most of the unlicensed stuff that's poorly regarded.

For SNES, was Shaq-Fu or Pit Fighter widely played?

MUSCLE seems like it would be much more fun as a two player game.

14 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

*insert game covered by the AVGN*

I would except I've been told that disliking a game that was reviewed by AVGN is wrong because my opinion must have been based on the AVGN video, which is really odd considering that my opinion was formed 15 years before AVGN existed.  

TLDR.  It's just easier to pick a different game.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

Yeah, I’d go with Superman 64. People know about it, it’s an official console release, it’s really bad, and its awfulness is interesting enough to be worth examining whereas Big Rigs is basically just a non-functional meme game.

This was a game we rented as kids. Normally we would play rentals endlessly for the 3-4 days that we had them.

Superman 64, we gave maybe 2 hours  and decided we’d return the game early 

To be the most disliked, I figure the game must be newer and also popular. As much as I want to hate on older bad games, the player base for new games is much larger, and 4/5 of the list of games with the most sales were released after the year 2000.

In recent memory, Cyberpunk 2077 and Star Wars Battlefront come to mind. For the former, four different class action lawsuits were brought against CD Project Red due to the poor launch of the game, and were later combined into a mega lawsuit. For the latter, one infamous official comment from the EACommunityTeam account in the Star Wars Battlefront subreddit racked up -668,000 votes, which made it the most downvoted comment in Reddit history.

If I were to speculate, I bet the title would have to go to something huge but divisive, like a long-running MMO or online game (Minecraft, Candy Crush, WoW, Among Us), a big gacha game (Fate Grand Order, Granblue Fantasy, Genshin Impact), or a game with a really big competitive scene (PUBG, Fortnite, CrossFire). Most of those games have player bases or downloads in the tens to hundreds of millions, and if even a fraction of people end up hating those games, it makes for a massive number of dislikes. And for every player of those games, I'm sure several others have heard of those games and have their own opinions on why they are or aren't playing it.

Edit: Also, Fate GO, Fortnite, and many other of these large games that use predatory tactics to squeeze money out of its often underage player base can go straight to hell. Superman 64 cost kids $5 at Blockbuster. Not an average of $291 and certainly not $70,000. It's also not uncommon for kids to be bullied by their peers because they use default skins in Fortnite or other large games. I feel sorry for kids these days.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, GPX said:

I’ll start with a game that was one of my pet hates in the 16-bit era, Fantasia for the Megadrive/Genesis. Most Sega lovers would have loved Castle of Illusion, so would have been itching to try Fantasia. Also the kids and parents would have gone bonkers over most Disney games back then. Such lovely graphics matched by nonsensical hit detection and zero replayability..

Lol you hit the nail on the head in your first post.

On my game rating tracker, Fantasia is one of only two games I've given less than 3/10. The other is Spice World for PS1. but I'm pretty sure there's a ton of games like the latter - Fantasia is unique in its terrible.

Most other games I strongly dislike still have some sort of appeal to them that I can at least recognize even if I don't like it.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, G-type said:

E.T. is far from the worst game on the Atari. Try playing Firefly, Shark Attack, or Sorcerer, and then come talk to me

Indeed. I actually don't think E.T. is a bad game at all when judged against its contemporaries. That said, it has long been the scapegoat blamed by many for the infamous Video Game Crash of '83, so it is probably a contender for "most disliked game ever", whether it deserves that reputation or not.

Daikatana might be another game worthy of all the ire it receives.

And I'll echo Shaq Fu as a title that's up there in the rankings. Even at the time of its release, it was positively ripped apart by anyone and everyone that played it. It deserves its awful reputation as it is every bit as bad as everyone says.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

*insert game covered by the AVGN*

Castlevania II has the most views. Officially the most hated game of all time!

I'll say I think ET is not great! It's like the opposite of Little Samson. I think LS gets some undue hate for being a default beloved NES game and ET has its jankiness over-defended for being the default worst game ever. Since Atari fans generally don't hate ET, maybe it's not actually the most universally disliked game. Even N64 fans who have actually played it know Superman sucks. I might go Superman?

I would rule out so bad its good stuff like Action 52 or Plumbers Don't Wear Ties since people play those for enjoyment. Just like The Room is one of the "worst movies ever", but everyone watches it because it's so enjoyable. A paradox!

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

How crazy is it that on Wikipedia's list of games notable for negative reception there are only 5 games from the 80s. Out of the horseshit released in the 80s, Friday the 13th is on that list?? Really???

kM7WCVU.png

Opening paragraph under reception on Wikipedia:

Friday the 13th was released in North America exclusively in February 1989, as part of LJN's focus on creating video games based on licenses. It is considered by some as one of the worst games of all time.

REALLY? Lmao who are these "some" who consider it one of the worst games OF ALL TIME? There's a lot of subjectivity involved obviously but like... the game is NOT bad at all. It functions well, controls well, has unique mechanics, is difficult to beat, I could go on.

Further:

In 1997 Electronic Gaming Monthly ranked it the eighth worst console video game of all time.

Then they must not play a whole lotta games. There were 700 games on the NES and Friday isn't even close to being the 8th worst NES game, let alone the 8th worst game OF ALL TIME (at the time, even).

Seems nothing's changed in that regard, reviewers for these magazines et al are pretty shite.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

How crazy is it that on Wikipedia's list of games notable for negative reception there are only 5 games from the 80s. Out of the horseshit released in the 80s, Friday the 13th is on that list?? Really???

kM7WCVU.png

Shows how influential AVGN is. People just regurgitate the opinions of a fictional Youtube character.

• Agree 1