IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm delighted the game doesn't let you down. Maybe you'll trust my video game opinions in the future 🙄

I'm not sure what you're referring to.  I know I like some games that you seem to hate (The Messenger and maybe something else) but I'm also the sort that likes nearly all (generally acclaimed) games.  I'm the most agreeable person on the planet in that regard 😄

Beat Contra the other night. Contra is one of those games that has a reputation of being "NES hard" that I don't quite understand. I'm not saying it's easy, but there are plenty of NES games that I've never come close to beating, no matter how hard I try, yet it usually takes no more than a couple tries for me to complete Contra on one credit. I feel like I could realistically no-death run it if I really tried.

It controls great, the difficulty is pretty fair, none of the bosses are really overwhelming, and as long as you hold on to the spread, you're mostly unstoppable.

Anyway, it's a great game and I love it. One of my all-time favorites.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cj_robot said:

Beat Contra the other night. Contra is one of those games that has a reputation of being "NES hard" that I don't quite understand. I'm not saying it's easy, but there are plenty of NES games that I've never come close to beating, no matter how hard I try, yet it usually takes no more than a couple tries for me to complete Contra on one credit. I feel like I could realistically no-death run it if I really tried.

Yes, the constant placement of NES Contra on the top of all those clickbait'y "hardest games of all times" is a farce, and pretty solid evidence of the self-reinforcing second hand opinions going on on the internet nowadays. People will put on the game once, die a few times on the first stage and think "oh yeah, the internet was right, this game is impossibly hard", and then never try to overcome the challenge.

The thing is, it's pretty much impossible to reasonably judge the difficulty of a game if you haven't actually overcome that difficulty. Two tough games will easily seem equally tough when you are only scratching the surface, but one of them might take a year to win at, while the other could be down in a day.

Like you said, it's still a challenging game, but once you get a hang of it, most of it does become fairly easy. And even if you don't no-death it, the game gives you ton of extra lives over the cause of just one playthrough, so there is a lot of of leeway for mistakes. I still think my first victory in the game felt incredibly satisfying though, as only few games do it these days.

Playing Sonic and Sega All stars Racing for Wii. I'm not super impressed with it, though I wasn't sure what to expect from the beginning. It seems the only way to win is to hold on to a drift for as long as possible. I'm trying not to to just compare it to mario kart, buts it's impossible not to. The stages are nice bright and colorful, but it's hard to tell where the boundaries are and I haven't figured how to pull up a map like in MK to gague where the next turn I can start a drift will be.

The game punishes you for crashing. Unless you have a nice and smooth run, prepare to find yourself in the back of the pack.

My initial judgement says it is a bit better as a pure racer, the controls and turning are nice and smooth, and items don't effect the outcome quite as much. But that's not why we play kart racers. We don't look for an accurate racing experience. I'll have to unlock a few levels and characters to give a better assessment of how I feel.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

You see the same thing with the SNES library, where certain beloved games dominate the "hardest games" lists.

Of course most of those people haven't tried to beat Jim Power, Time Slip, Dungeon Master, or Call Ripken Jr. Baseball.  Not that many people are dumb enough to spend an eternity digging into the library to find out.

Then again, I'm not sure people want to read about those games in those lists either.

• Like 1

Finally got a winning run through Enter the Gungeon. I know I suck. I have seen dragons as bosses a few times, but a dragon with two uzi's is hilarious. 

Also, found a copy of Hollow Knight for $30. Gotta say I am pretty impressed. I cringe a little every time I hear metroidvania, but I gotta say after putting in some work on Blasphemous and Hollow Knight there really is potential there (Axiom Verge was meh). Looking at my shelf and I might need to play  Ritual of the Night, Bunny Must Die, and Headlander.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cj_robot said:

It controls great, the difficulty is pretty fair, none of the bosses are really overwhelming, and as long as you hold on to the spread, you're mostly unstoppable.

Anyway, it's a great game and I love it. One of my all-time favorites.

The thing that some of these folks don't understand/appreciate about games of the NES era is that they were often designed around "repeated play to achieve mastery". Games of the era often felt "difficult" until the player spends some time learning the rhythm of the controls, memorizing enemy patterns, etc. Contra was just one of those kinds of games. Because of limited lives, aggressive enemies and one-hit deaths, someone who sits down with it for the first time will be overwhelmed and say "Yep. This game is stupid hard. The end." But even spending just a little time with the game will quickly dissolve a lot of that tension...and that operates as a means to make the player feel a sense of progress.

Comparing Contra to Duck Tales is a perfect example in my case. These days, most of the time I can no-death Contra, as long as I can hold onto the spread gun. But it's also a game I've owned and regularly played since 1989. I've more-or-less memorized the enemy spawns and behaviors and the best strategy for each of the bosses. Duck Tales is a different story. It's a game I didn't own, although I had played it for a few minutes here or there back in my youth. I'm willing to bet that most fans of the game would consider it laughably easy (at least, that's what I seem to hear on the internet). I, however, am currently in the "practice" phase of learning the game. I don't have the stage layouts and enemy spawns memorized. I don't know all the little tricks about the quirky hit boxes. So, while I can see that the game will get considerably easier as I gain experience with it, at my current state of play, I find the game sometimes obnoxiously "difficult".

Does that mean I would feel justified in calling Duck Tales "Top 10 hardest NES games EVAR!"? Of course not. As others have said, I think a lot of these folks jump the gun and assume that if you can't breeze through these older, more simplistic games after spending 30 minutes with them, they must be "sooper hardd corezzz".

Also to tie into what Reed mentioned, there's a certain "marquee value" to putting these more well-known titles in the lists. The Mutant Virus is ten times more difficult than Contra but nobody cares to hear about The Mutant Virus.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Californication said:

Finally got a winning run through Enter the Gungeon. I know I suck. I have seen dragons as bosses a few times, but a dragon with two uzi's is hilarious. 

Also, found a copy of Hollow Knight for $30. Gotta say I am pretty impressed. I cringe a little every time I hear metroidvania, but I gotta say after putting in some work on Blasphemous and Hollow Knight there really is potential there (Axiom Verge was meh). Looking at my shelf and I might need to play  Ritual of the Night, Bunny Must Die, and Headlander.

I felt the same way about Axion Verge (way overrated), but I also cannot get into Hollow Knight. I've given it about 4 or 5 hours, but I just was not having fun with it. I'm going to try and finish it this year. Something about the gameplay just doesn't do it for me.

Also, I'd recommend skipping Headlander if you've got other things on your list. It's basically the definition of mediocre. Not bad, but I would have rather had those hours back to put into something else.

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You see the same thing with the SNES library, where certain beloved games dominate the "hardest games" lists.

Of course most of those people haven't tried to beat Jim Power, Time Slip, Dungeon Master, or Call Ripken Jr. Baseball.  Not that many people are dumb enough to spend an eternity digging into the library to find out.

Then again, I'm not sure people want to read about those games in those lists either.

Yeah, sure, Jim Power is a frustrating game, but then again it's also an incredibly bad game. Maybe if you sit down and learn to conquer it, it'll actually be easier than Contra, but who'd ever bother?

I think it's fair to only really factor in games that are actually enjoyable and fair in the manner they are challenging, if nothing else for a more interesting list. But you still have like the entire spectrum of arcade games for starters. 🙂 

43 minutes ago, Californication said:

@DoctorEncorewhat bothered you about Hollow Knight? 

I never could quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the character movement or the progression system, but it always felt more frustrating than fun to me. Backtracking is way too prevalent and the way the map system is purposely opaque and almost punitive seems unnecessary. I think the goal was to emphasize the atmosphere and make it more about discovery, but it comes at the expense of streamlined gameplay.

Given the universal acclaim the game has received, I wholeheartedly accept that this is a good game and I'm in the minority. But I'm at a place in my life where I have very little patience for developers choosing style over playability. As a disclaimer, I'm a big fan of Metroidvanias and absolutely adored the Ori games which have amazing movement tech and mostly minimize backtracking. Axiom Verge and Hollow Knight just didn't give me the same joy.

• Like 1

Started playing Gal*Gun 2 on Switch and it turns out I’m much more of a weeb perv than I anticipated. 

I’ll play it to finish it but I don’t see myself playing to completion or trying to see every ending. It’s just a lighthearted arcade shooter with a very easy dating sim built-in. And panties.

• Like 1

I've been game hopping lately, but I seem to be stuck on replaying Zone of Enders for the first time in a long while. I forgot how much I love this game but greatly dislike it's control scheme. Mostly the fact the the O and X are function switched compared for a larger amount of the ps2 titles. That being said, it's such a beautiful game and feels so good even several years later. I've been told that Zone of Enders 2 is also great so I'll likely throw that one in next.

20 minutes ago, hardstyletoaster said:

I've been game hopping lately, but I seem to be stuck on replaying Zone of Enders for the first time in a long while. I forgot how much I love this game but greatly dislike it's control scheme. Mostly the fact the the O and X are function switched compared for a larger amount of the ps2 titles. That being said, it's such a beautiful game and feels so good even several years later. I've been told that Zone of Enders 2 is also great so I'll likely throw that one in next.

Love ZOE! I never finished it, but that was NOT due to disliking it. I bought the PS3 HD collection a couple years ago and need to get back to it. I also heard the same thing about the second one, so my goal is to play them back to back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ausden said:

Love ZOE! I never finished it, but that was NOT due to disliking it. I bought the PS3 HD collection a couple years ago and need to get back to it. I also heard the same thing about the second one, so my goal is to play them back to back.

Join me in playing them friend! We can play them and then discuss them like some kind of game club or something! I think I beat the first one once and remember the ending being a bit sad but I'm replaying and I'll see what happens.