IGNORED

Music Debate #119: AC/DC

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

9, doesn’t make it to one of my top favorites but I  always listen when they come up. One of the best in history, probably top 10. Been around for just shy of 50yrs now and still going strong, which is always amazing. 

Edit: There should be a few more examples of Bon Scott era songs

Edit2: dont forget Axl Rose sang for them for a little while!

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 1

There was a point in my life when I realized that, in the long run, a band has two options when it comes to their music/style: do the same or do something new. In both cases they will be criticized.

I no longer consider this a parameter to like/dislike. Yeah AC/DC sounds the same, it's called "music style".

If you see me rockin with my headphones on it's very likely it's AC/DC, can't stand still (😉) when I'm listening to them.

• Like 2

I get their songs are "classics" to some extent, but I have absolutely no love for this brand of 80s (and late 70s I guess) rock music.
There's a glaring dissonance between how "cool" and "raw" that it sees itself, and the chirpy catchy hooks it is based on which sounds more like children's sing-along tunes, and it's completely impossible for me to ignore.

At the end of the day, it's decent pop music I guess. And yeah, probably better than most pop music released today, yadda yadda yadda. If we pretend I ever listened to radio and they come out, I'd definitely turn the station, but I don't think they deserve a 3/10. But based on the descriptions of each score I can't realistically go higher than 4/10.

2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Let me introduce you to Led Zeppelin.

It's not even the bands... it's the same couple of songs from each band that drives me wild. Zeppelin, AC/DC, Eagles, Pink Floyd, Queen, Stones etc. etc. they play the same 3 or 4 songs ALL THE TIME. Thunderstruck, Highway to Hell and Back in Black probably get 95% of the ACDC playtime around here.

AC/DC brought us out of the cheap Stern doldrums and into the modern pinball era with complex rules, cool toys, and the introduction of premium models targeted at enthusiasts. An all time classic pinball machine IMO 9/10. 

The music? I dunno, I mostly just play Hells Bells since it’s a solid tournament strategy. It’s aight. 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

AC/DC brought us out of the cheap Stern doldrums and into the modern pinball era with complex rules, cool toys, and the introduction of premium models targeted at enthusiasts

Damn boy, did you sleep on Simpsons Pinball Party, Lord of the Rings, Ripley's Believe it or Not, and Spider-Man?? 😮 

Probably an un Australian opinion but I can’t stand AC/DC. I voted 3/10 but really for me it is probably the 0 option haha.

I appreciate what they have done for rock music and also Australian music in general. It’s pretty cool to think that one of the most popular rock bands of all time came from your country, especially considering the small population size.

But I just cannot stand Angus’s voice and I don’t find their songs interesting or pleasant to listen to.

Also, if you guys think you over hear them on the radio, you have no idea what it is like here. You could easily hear the hits all in one day going through all the radio stations here. Then go to a pub and hear it some more. 

One cool little thing though, my Aunty is in the video for ‘It’s a long way to the top’ playing the bagpipes in the group.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Damn boy, did you sleep on Simpsons Pinball Party, Lord of the Rings, Ripley's Believe it or Not, and Spider-Man?? 😮 

Was AC/DC the first game that came with LEDs? Maybe that's why it felt like such a leap into the future too! My favorite games of the era are probably Iron Man and Wheel of Fortune, the latter because it's almost comedically challenging for a modern game. The 2000s is definitely my least favorite era of pinball though.