IGNORED

I've started building my own collection tracking site

Gloves

3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

If your already hosting at AWS just put it behind an Application Load Balancer and when you select the 443 listener you can pick a cert right from ACM. ALB will handle the SSL termination for you. Since pretty much 100% of your users would come from the states and Canada, CDN would probably be a waste of money. Unless you plan to have a junk load of video. AMI your front end assuming EC2, stick in an auto scaling group and call it a day. 

The Cloudfront service in AWS is free and required for using ACM. Unless you blow my mind here, I don't think you can apply ACM directly to a load balancer without Cloudfront.

41 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

The Cloudfront service in AWS is free and required for using ACM. Unless you blow my mind here, I don't think you can apply ACM directly to a load balancer without Cloudfront.

You can I do it a lot for different projects. It’s gotta be an ALB specifically and when you add a listener for 443 you have to put an ACM cert on it. I think you can also do this on classic load balancer but alb supports WAF and your definitely going to want that in front of your public endpoint. 

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/elasticloadbalancing/latest/application/listener-update-certificates.html

ACM doesn’t need Cloudfront and vice versa although like most AWS services they do offer interoperability. Cloud front certainly recommends ACM because of this. You can use third party certs with Cloudfront. There is a free tier for Cloudfront, but keep in mind it expires after 12 months. Your on demand pricing for that changes to .085 per GB to the internet for the first 10TB - they also charge for transfer out to origin and all HTTP methods

pm me if you wanna do a screen share, we can have the load balancing done in 10 minutes or so, as long as you have your VPC and subnetting in order. 

Edited by a3quit4s

Administrator · Posted
29 minutes ago, drxandy said:

I felt inspired and used tanooki's free host to crack out this turd

http://drxandy.epizy.com/

Gonna have to play around a bit more hehe

Lol. It's... A start? 

I've added a "WTB/WTS" feature so I can add games I'm looking for, and games I'm selling. 

If you go to the All Games page you can filter by "Selling" to see what I currently have on offer! 

https://glovesoffgames.com/games

• Like 1

It only took like 15 mins to get that far putting WordPress on there.. now to figure out my login.

Actually gonna try Joomla. I haven't made a website in practically 20yrs but I bet I could knock out a retro notepad html job if I wanted to spend some time hehe

Nice on for sale/trade/want list, that's a great idea for easy linking.

Edited by drxandy
  • Thanks 1

I like using http://www.vgcollect.com. It already has a huge database and you can add games that are not already in it, it has separate collection, wishlist, selling, backlog and currently playing pages. I can write in notes and other details like when purchased, cost, and a checklist for cart, box manual, and other inserts each each title, and I like the interface. Once you do add your lists on there, you can export it into Excel. It also has a decent mobile version.

Here's a sample page (not mine): https://www.vgcollect.com/scott

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Trifecta said:

I like using http://www.vgcollect.com. It already has a huge database and you can add games that are not already in it, it has separate collection, wishlist, selling, backlog and currently playing pages. I can write in notes and other details like when purchased, cost, and a checklist for cart, box manual, and other inserts each each title, and I like the interface. Once you do add your lists on there, you can export it into Excel. It also has a decent mobile version.

Yep I also use vgcollect. Best collection tracker I’ve found and it does just about everything you need.

Every now and then I export my collection to csv just in case something happens to the site.

Administrator · Posted

Making websites is sometimes for me just as fun as playing games, so I've continued working on my primary planned feature set.

Today I added a "Glog" cuz I like silly wordplay - a "Game Log". Like... a blog. For my games... You get it.

One of the main reasons I actually started this project in the first place was that I didn't feel that the Backloggery was putting playing games absolutely first. It focuses on clearing out the backlog, as the name implies. But what about when you're done, all cleared up, nothing left unbeaten? Heck, even before that, sometimes you sit back and play an ol' classic you've seen the ending of a million times. 

I wanted to allow myself full freedom to take as many notes and to write as much as I wanted about each game. Sometimes I'll do challenges (e.g. beating A Link to the Past with as little gear as possible) and the like and I want to document these things as best I can. I think the WHOLE journey is important, and on Backloggery I was limited to basically a Tweet's worth of characters to explain my entire history with a game. Nope, not enough.

There's a general Glog landing page which will list the latest posts in order, and I've also added a list to each game of all posts pertaining to that game. So far there's just a single post tied to Dino Crisis, but I think as I continue playing games and writing about it, it'll grow to be quite robust indeed!

I'm super excited to have added this feature since it was really one of the core improvements I wanted to see come to life, and well, there it is!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gloves said:

Sometimes I'll do challenges (e.g. beating A Link to the Past with as little gear as possible) and the like and I want to document these things as best I can.

I did a whole minimalist playthrough of LttP back on the NA tinychat, it was lots of fun. I even waited to get the lantern until I needed it for the 2nd dungeon. I remember magic management being difficult with no 1/2 meter and no bottles.. Trinexx was an interesting fight.

23 hours ago, Trifecta said:

This one is great, not just NA focused. I have had a hard time since my collection is all over EU, NA, and japan. The apps that I have tried all kind of suck. Browsing function would be better like when I was searching for Mega Man, it showed many digital releases that would have been great to have a filter. Could be that it offers more functions in PC then phone where I was testing it out

Administrator · Posted

I've added a few more features to my tracker. Since I have games able to be set to "WTS", as well as for additional archiving purposes, I have added a photo gallery as an option for games. You can see this in action on Contra III which I added today: https://glovesoffgames.com/games/super-nintendo/contra-iii-the-alien-wars

I've also added a "Requirements for Completion" field which will outline for each game what I need to do in order to consider the game "Completed", an upgrade from the more obvious "Beaten" (see the end credits, generally).

All of the features that I've added will only show up for games I've added them on, so it's not all cluttered. For instance, on Contra I've not written any blog entries, so that section doesn't appear at all on that page. Entries will naturally and progressively grow the more I play them add photos, etc.! 🙂

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, inasuma said:

I’ve long considered doing this, and booming up a blog that I can author in markdown. Using Notion (tables on tables) only gets you so far yknow?

really cool to see someone doing this. My only suggestion is to remove the text shadows. 🙂

Yeah the text shadows might go. They were fun to start but it's definitely a kinda old school gaudy look. Thanks for the feedback! 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Are you sharing this on GitHub so people can pull down?

Yeah if you'd like to do so you're welcome to! Here's the repo: https://github.com/DouglasKGlover/gloves-off-games

I've not worked on the ReadMe yet so there's crucial details to getting up and running technically missing, but you could probably figure it out. The CMS I'm using is Contentful, though technically any GraphQL capable headless CMS should work just fine as long as you have a schema in-line with the data pulled (see the /graphql/ folder).

The framework in use is Nuxt, an open source Vue framework, set to SSG mode for static hosting on Netlify (or similar - Heroku, etc.).

If you wanna try to make your own copy and run it, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. Also open to feedback and criticism on the code if you have any.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
Administrator · Posted

UPDATE! 😮

I've been fiddling around a bit with IGDB, and have implemented a few minor details from it. Every game on my site should now automagically pull in data from their games database and show some details, giving it a bit more flavor for anyone looking at the site who's... not me... for some reason.

This was partially because I wanted to test their API, and partially because I wanted to create a demo application using Netlify Functions to show to my devs at work.

Beyond that, now that I have it properly filtering to the appropriate game and pulling in data on the client side, it's actually pretty easy to add more data should I choose to do so. For now each game is just pulling in the Summary and Cover Art to show on their individual pages, but I could always add more info like Aggregated Ratings, Release Date, etc..

Here's a game with a decent bit of info to look at: Gloves Off Games

It's a bit less empty looking now!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...