IGNORED

I've started building my own collection tracking site

Gloves

On 2/6/2023 at 10:38 AM, Gloves said:

I added a stats page using Highcharts. Nothing crazy, just felt like adding something a bit visual.

https://glovesoff.games/stats/

Neat!

Love the visual stats. 

Out of pure curiosity, what's the difference between "Beaten" and "Completed"? I mean... I guess completed is for games that have a 100% completion deal with side quests or stuff like that? 

And any plans to have a link to each game from each category? So if I want to see what NES games you can beat I can just click it and go "okay..... if Gloves can beat it, I can beat it.". Hahaha, jokes. But would be neat to know which games go in what category.

Neat all around.... just random questions I think of. 

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Neat!

Love the visual stats. 

Out of pure curiosity, what's the difference between "Beaten" and "Completed"? I mean... I guess completed is for games that have a 100% completion deal with side quests or stuff like that? 

And any plans to have a link to each game from each category? So if I want to see what NES games you can beat I can just click it and go "okay..... if Gloves can beat it, I can beat it.". Hahaha, jokes. But would be neat to know which games go in what category.

Neat all around.... just random questions I think of. 

If you go to the Games page, you can filter by Status (untouched/unfinished/beaten/completed). 

A lot of games I've listed completion requirements for. Typically I consider a game beaten if I've gotten to "the end". If an ending doesn't exist then I'll come up with some measurement by which to call it beaten (such as getting a high score). As for completed, same deal but more like "seen everything". If there are trophies or achievements then it's simply "get all those", otherwise it might be beating the game on the hardest difficulty, or beating it with no deaths, stuff like that. 

Most of the games I have listed as completed I'll have written down what the requirements are for doing so on that game, so if you go to the Games page and filter to completed, you can see some examples. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gloves said:

If you go to the Games page, you can filter by Status (untouched/unfinished/beaten/completed). 

A lot of games I've listed completion requirements for. Typically I consider a game beaten if I've gotten to "the end". If an ending doesn't exist then I'll come up with some measurement by which to call it beaten (such as getting a high score). As for completed, same deal but more like "seen everything". If there are trophies or achievements then it's simply "get all those", otherwise it might be beating the game on the hardest difficulty, or beating it with no deaths, stuff like that. 

Most of the games I have listed as completed I'll have written down what the requirements are for doing so on that game, so if you go to the Games page and filter to completed, you can see some examples. 

Noice!!

Yup.... I can see it now. Requirements for completion. I like that. Very clear and precise. 

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted

Relatively big update today, I've set up a data pull from the IGDB video game database which adds some details to the games on my tracker.

In all this has added and auto-filled the following information for most of the games on my tool:

• Release Date (for the platform the game is listed)
  • Companies involved (devs, publishers, etc.)
  • Genres
  • Themes
  • Summary
  • Storyline

I kept the naming conventions that IGDB uses as they're apt and why not. It's filled out a lot of details across the board, and might help me in the future if I'm looking for some inspiration for what to play next.

Pretty happy with the update; this was a bulk update to the existing content/games on the site. I'll be making a copy of the code I made to do the job and translating it into a repeatable Lambda function to run via Webhook any time I add a new game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Relatively big update today, I've set up a data pull from the IGDB video game database which adds some details to the games on my tracker.

In all this has added and auto-filled the following information for most of the games on my tool:

• Release Date (for the platform the game is listed)
  • Companies involved (devs, publishers, etc.)
  • Genres
  • Themes
  • Summary
  • Storyline

I kept the naming conventions that IGDB uses as they're apt and why not. It's filled out a lot of details across the board, and might help me in the future if I'm looking for some inspiration for what to play next.

Pretty happy with the update; this was a bulk update to the existing content/games on the site. I'll be making a copy of the code I made to do the job and translating it into a repeatable Lambda function to run via Webhook any time I add a new game.

HTTPS function URL with CORS?

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Lambda function webhook, was curious on the implementation

The backend is Contentful, so I'd just hook in through that, there's a pretty decent system in place to hook em up easily. I add a new game in the CMS -> It reaches out to IGDB to get more data on the game to fill in the blanks.

9 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The backend is Contentful, so I'd just hook in through that, there's a pretty decent system in place to hook em up easily. I add a new game in the CMS -> It reaches out to IGDB to get more data on the game to fill in the blanks.

Ah ok. Working on behalf of the government always has me thinking of how to do things natively lol