IGNORED

Game Debate #62: Resident Evil 2

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Resident Evil 2 (1998)

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.
  2. 2. Resident Evil 2 (2019)

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

I gave the original a 9, while I gave the remake an 8.

Both are spooky scary, but not not as scary as the time @Tanooki found out that my current feelings about the SNES were not that great! And what makes that worse is that none of you told me that he can turn his head 180 degrees and make his eyes glow red! 😭

But in all cases, the original is what got me into the survival horror genre. But a part of me had to dock it a point just because the PS3 reboot of Siren had a PS Home space that became what I want in that type of genre. And while the remake was great, the demo version was not that fun to play.

• Agree 1

I wasn't really into the first game when it came out (probably another case of "I'm too cool to like this popular, mainstream game"), but I played RE2 when it came out on the Dreamcast. I loved it and it totally made me a fan of the franchise. 

Haven't yet played the remake, but it's on my list.

I guess I'm harsh, gave it a 7 😄 (Original version)

I've never been a fan of the ever changing weird camera angles that shift the control, but more so the absurdly poor tank control the game suffers from.  When you couple it with the really poor decision to have save ribbons it adds to the misery.  I never quite got why they don't give you enough ammo in the game either, causes some issues that mount.  The story, atmosphere, areas, those things, they're excellent and carry my interest more than the game should otherwise with the issues.  It's good, very good for an acquired taste of sorts.

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've never been a fan of the ever changing weird camera angles that shift the control, but more so the absurdly poor tank control the game suffers from. 

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying, but the tank controls are in the game specifically so that the control doesn't change from one camera angle to another.  If you take the tank controls away it makes it difficult to control the character as they move from one camera angle to another.  Without tank controls, you could change directions while moving from one camera angle to another.  Try playing Syberia on the original Xbox and you will see why tank controls are needed in a game like this.  

When you couple it with the really poor decision to have save ribbons it adds to the misery. 

That's the point.

I never quite got why they don't give you enough ammo in the game either, causes some issues that mount.  

Which part of "Survival Horror" are you not getting? 😉

Also, if you play on easy, there is more than enough ammo in the game to kill just about everything (from the Police station onwards).  You only have to conserve ammo on the higher difficulty levels.  

Edited by TDIRunner

@TDIRunner I'm aware of the thought process behind it, just don't agree with it, never have as it's just maddening moving so terribly when something is running at you to chew your face off.  I'm glad they wised up in remasters of the games (not the current HD ones) some years back and removed that junk, franchise was far better for having good natural feeling control.

And well the point was stupid, unless you want to only cater to people who have hours to sit down and play, but otherwise, it's cheatcode (gameshark) city if you want a chance to even play it fairly and finish it.  I never even 20 years ago could find tha tmuch time to sit there for hours going in blind (new) at one of them and think that was at all slightly reasonable.

And I get survival horror, there's many ways to do it.  Shit control and camera coupled with very limited ammo and health are poor substitutes for doing something truly unsettling.  Dead Space did it almost too well, control, ammo, gear, health is never compromised, even at higher levels.  They create the crap your pants moments pretty consistently ramping it up as the stages and areas tick by because of just how the madness and morphing of the platform from human to...WTF increases at less and less subtle levels.  I think we finally moved away from perhaps period limited garbage setups to create fear, to actually creating some really messed up stuff to appropriately scare the player thankfully.