IGNORED

Movie Debate #78: Batman

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

Rewatched Batman Returns recently, and was kind of surprised how great (and straight up funny) it is. The first of the Burton movies still has great moments, but is less comedic, and overall not that interesting outside of Jack Nicholson's fantastic performance.

7/10

Homebrew Team · Posted

I have been hearing a lot lately that Batman Returns is the better of the movies.  I need to give it another chance as I probably have not seen it since it was released.

For Batman, I really enjoy it.  I do think a part of that is nostalgia though. I am between 7/10 and 8/10.  

23 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

I have been hearing a lot lately that Batman Returns is the better of the movies.  I need to give it another chance as I probably have not seen it since it was released.

For Batman, I really enjoy it.  I do think a part of that is nostalgia though. I am between 7/10 and 8/10.  

I gave Batman Returns another chance a few years ago, and I just don't feel it's a very good movie.  It's easy to make fun of Forever and B&R, but I think some people don't want to say bad things about Returns since it's directly related to Batman.  It was really difficult for me to sit through the entire thing.    

Batman isn't perfect, but it still holds up well today.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching Batman as we speak because it's been a while. 

I think the movie would be better if one of the thugs punched Keaton in the face each time he holds his cape open and slowly floats into a room.

So I'm not sure about this one. The writing never builds up the suspense, action is meh, and the scenes where batman floats in and poses are weird, but besides that it's okay. 

Michael Keaton doesn't really stand out as bad or good, Jack Nicholson and Kim Basinger do a good job and really carry the movie. I think the movie has a nice comic book vibe. I like the Jack Nicholaus joker, he is creepy and mean. It's kind of interesting that every other joker is youngish and this joker is a bit older, I think that is part of what makes him feel more dangerous. 

I'm not sure maybe a 7. There is good stuff here though. I mean that is why Batman Begins came in and took the same poisoning the city premise and Batman dealing the death of his parents and just built it out. 

Edited by Californication

9/10

I always loved this movie. Young people won't understand, but this was a time when comic book movies were 99% of the time low-budget garbage. And then Batman comes along with actual legit actors, a legit director, a decent budget, an awesome score and incredible set design. A true classic.

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted
On 7/11/2021 at 4:01 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I actually like Batman the Movie better, but this is still a great movie. 8/10.

Ftfy

On 7/11/2021 at 7:37 PM, TDIRunner said:

Despite growing up with this movie, I still prefer the Adam West movie and series.  With that said, it's the best Batman film that West wasn't involved with.  7 for me.  

Ftfy

Look, all I'm saying is that any film that can get away with the line "this town needs an enema" deserves nothing less than an 8. I gave it a 9. My Dad took my brother and I to see it. He had no clue how violent it would be and just told us "don't tell your mother I took you to that." Haha, I loved my Dad.

Any yet, we still somehow ended up with the VHS because everyone in the 90s had Batman on VHS.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Saw Batman in the theater several times.  Had the toys.  Had the poster.  Had the soundtrack.  Had the VHS.  Had the comics.  Ate the cereal.  Easy 9.  

2nd best Batman overall and 3rd best Joker. 

Adam West>Michael Keaton>Will Arnett>Kevin Conroy>Ben Affleck>Christian Bale>Val Kilmer>George Clooney (gotta love the Bat nipples tho.)

Caesar Romero>Mark Hammill>Jack Nicholson>Zack Galifianakis>Jared Leto>Joaquin Phoenix>Heath Ledger

I love the way Joker goes and visits Vikie Vale at her apartment, but he just leaves after. He didn't kidnap her, he didn't physically harm her, he just stopped in to say hello. I really like that. It implies that he thinks his show of affection is working or will work in the future. It just puts a good emphasis on the fact that he is either crazy, overly confident or both.