IGNORED

Silverspoon Fridays #6: The Office or Parks and Rec?

The Office or Parks and Rec?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. The Office or Parks and Rec?

• The Office
    • Parks and Rec

Situation: Youre stranded in a log cabin far from anyone with no lines of communication available.  You have electricity, a tv, and a streaming service only offering one show to pass the weekend before Monday hits and you can go back to civilization.  Which show do you choose to spend your next two days binging?

I have given Parks and Rec a few chances, but have never sat thru an entire episode because its just not good.

The Office on the other hand, my wife and I have watched thru the entire series from beginning to end 4 times, and I still stop on it from time to time on the shitty off-shoot channels like COZI because it never gets old.

Editorials Team · Posted

Parks and Rec.

Does The Office have Jeremy Jam and Jean Ralphio Saperstein?  Or Adam Scott and Rob Lowe?  Or Larry/Jerry/Gary/Terry?  Or frickin' Tom and Andy?  Or Ron?  Or the Tammys?

The Office is great, but beyond Michael and Dwight the characters are much less interesting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Moderator · Posted

I know it’s the hipster thing to say Parks and Rec, but The Office is perfect. Michael Scott alone beats the rest of the cast from Parks and Rec. Add in some of the best background characters in history like Creed (highest laugh to scene ratio in history of TV), Jan, Toby, and Ryan and it’s one of the best TV comedies of all time. 

Super interested in the feedback here.  I binged Office in 2019/2020 timeframe and absolutely loved every minute of it.  My friends were adamant "if you liked Office then P&R is a must watch!!!!".

I watched the first episode of P&R and it felt like nothing but a distasteful Office ripoff (especially the whole look into the camera reaction bits).  Did not make it to a 2nd episode.  Friends claim I failed myself by attempting to watch them back to back.  Is that really fair you guys think?

15 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Super interested in the feedback here.  I binged Office in 2019/2020 timeframe and absolutely loved every minute of it.  My friends were adamant "if you liked Office then P&R is a must watch!!!!".

I watched the first episode of P&R and it felt like nothing but a distasteful Office ripoff (especially the whole look into the camera reaction bits).  Did not make it to a 2nd episode.  Friends claim I failed myself by attempting to watch them back to back.  Is that really fair you guys think?

It's is a general consensus that season one is the worst of all the seasons. Leslie Knope is not Michael Scott and it took a little time for the writers to differentiate and iron out her character. I'd start with season two and only come back to season one later if you really like the show.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aguy said:

It's is a general consensus that season one is the worst of all the seasons. Leslie Knope is not Michael Scott and it took a little time for the writers to differentiate and iron out her character. I'd start with season two and only come back to season one later if you really like the show.

Oh boy messing with my OCD about watching shows and playing games in chronological order :).  Appreciate the feedback will consider for sure

Editorials Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Yeah, like @Aguy said, in the beginning they made Leslie a Michael clone, and had some boring Jim clone playing the straight man.

They quickly wisened up and made Leslie her own fully realized character, wrote out the pointless dude, and replaced him with Robe Lowe and Adam Scott.  An exponential upgrade.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Both are great. That poor last couple seasons of the Office though. The red-headed lady in the later seasons of Office made me want to stick a pencil in my eye. And I don't know why they tried to turn Jim into a bad guy.

I agree it's better to start P&R on season 2 and then go to 1. I somehow did that on accident. And the last season felt like it was written by an aspiring adolescent-fiction author who was still in middle school. Everything worked out perfectly for everyone and it was really boring.

I voted Office because P&R was gold for maybe 3-4 seasons while the Office was gold until Michael left. 7 seasons? The marriage of Leslie and Ben was the beginning of the end for me. That was when I started thinking "eehhh, they're trying too hard."

Also, the more developed April Ludgate got, the more insufferable she became. I was straight sick of her by the end. Fite me

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I feel the need to bring this back up.  I reported previously how I could not watch P&R directly after finishing the Office series.  With a year or two in between now, I'm finally giving P&R a fair go and have to say I am loving it.  On season 4 now.

At first it threw me off with Rashida Jones being in both shows, but her character is much more in depth/involved on P&R - she comes off similar to Jim from the office, for some reason to me I cannot explain.

Nick Offerman is the f***ing man, well at least Ron Swanson is lol.  It's genius how uninvolved he is in the main story of each episode, yet he kills it every time he appears.

Leslie is 1000x more relatable, yet close to as funny, as Michael Scott.  I still loved him in the office tho.

Tom is quite the enjoyable character as well, but for some reason I cannot get enough of April's f***-it attitude.

Mid-S4 it's still weird seeing Chris Pratt as...well Andy.

In re-reading the comments here, now I'm left wondering who the "boring Jim clone playing the straight man" is from season 1 @Reed Rothchild

Very solid show.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I don't remember his name.  They write him out pretty quickly.

Mark. The only context I had to your post was the thread title and I knew exactly who you were talking about. 

Edit: Mark Brendanawicz as played by Paul Schneider. Good actor, bad role.

This is a pretty difficult pick.  I kind of wish you had included 30 Rock as well since all three shows were on at the same time and on the same evening all in a row for a while.  Of course that would make the decision even more difficult.

I've honestly gone back and forth on which series I prefer, and usually it's based on which one I've watched most recently.  But gun to my head, if I have to pick, I'm probably going with Parks and Rec simply because it's more consistent over the course of the entire show.  If I'm only rating The Office from season 2 until Michael leaves, then it might be number one, but I don't think it's fair to ignore such a large number of episodes.  So Parks and Rec wins it for me.