IGNORED

How do you get into new music?

AstralSoul

Do you actively seek out new artists to listen to or do you wait until you just happen til something is recommended or you hear something in passing? Or maybe you don't listen to particular artists and you just listen to select songs from everyone? 

Personally I have my favorite 25-30 artists I rotate in and out, once in a blue moon I'll come across a new artist that I like and I start exploring their library. But I generally like to find at least one new artist per year the I listen to. Doesn't have to be one that I never heard before and it definitely doesn't have to be a new artist. Last year I listened to the entire catalog of Pink Floyd for the first time and loved it. Now I consider myself a fan. Prior to that I only knew their radio hits and though I liked those songs I never sought out the rest of their music. 

But I find it hard to truly get into brand new artists so usually when I get into one it's one I already liked some songs of abddor whatever reason I'll dig deeper into their catalog. Sometimes I find that i really do only like their radio hits, other times I find that I've been missing out on their lesser known songs this whole time.

So what's your strategy for getting into new music?

Normally it's that I'll hear something randomly.  I could be riding with someone else with their music or radio station playing, in a store that starts playing something that catches my ear, pick out something in the background of a show/movie that I like, etc.  From there, I'll generally try to figure out what that song is and give it an actual, honest listen.  Sometimes I'll check out more by the artist/group, but not always.  If I like a song enough, I'll pick up a copy (or the album it's on) and put it into rotation on my phone, amidst all the other stuff that I've accumulated over the years.  I enjoy music, but don't personally care enough about it to go out specifically trying to broaden my horizons or listen to things that I haven't heard before.  I'm happy enough with my current musical experience and library to not go looking, but won't hold the door shut if something new wanders in and surprises me.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

For me it was when I had Sirius/XM.   I would put on a channel like Octane and discover newer music that way.

Now that I don't have it anymore, pretty much limited to what my friends send me.

Back in the early 2000s could just put on Uranium and catch new videos and everything!

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

Depends on what you're into. I have a few spotify playlists and youtube channels that curate the style of music I like, just check in on them for new uploads mostly. Also when I find a new artist I like, check out the similar artists on spotify, or check out the labels that are pushing their music. Odds are the label will have other similar cool artists 

• Like 1

As a kid/teenager I found it easier because friends would play you bands they were listening to. As an adult I feel I have to seek out music because the majority of my friends just listen to the same stuff over and over.

My method is to play an online radio station in the genre I’m wanting music in and see if anyone really stands out. Like Reed I’m pretty open to most styles so I don’t struggle to find new stuff. Also @Hammerfestus metal thread is great for metal music if you’re into that genre.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

For a pretty long period of my life I thought, “Well, this is it.  This is what I listen to.”  I didn’t have the energy to sift through new music.  But the last year or so I’ve really been trying out some new music.  

Back in the day I used Soulseek and I would find somebody who had a bunch of stuff I was into and then just download their entire library.  Now I’m pretty much either picking stuff up from the spotify radio thing or a bit of googling within a specific genre.

• Like 1

An easy way to find new music is pick an album or artist you really like and on Spotify or YouTube Music use the radio feature, it will come up with a playlist of similar music, it's a little hit or miss but just skip and take note of the stuff that sounds interesting so you can check that band's album or their biggest singles, you should be able to find at least a few songs to add to your playlist.

Another way is to go through playlists by genere, the more niche the genere the better, you got to be very patient but eventually you'll find something you really like.

I listen to the same stuff since high school. I put on a playlist, skip a song because it's overplayed, skip a song because I've overplayed it, skip a song because it's not from an era of the band I like, skip a song because it's the D-list song on an album, then give up and put on a podcast. Love Iron Maiden though, will continue skipping their songs to put on podcasts until I die.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

For me it was when I had Sirius/XM.   I would put on a channel like Octane and discover newer music that way.

Now that I don't have it anymore, pretty much limited to what my friends send me.

Back in the early 2000s could just put on Uranium and catch new videos and everything!

Same here except I would basically channel surf with the radio. Some of the stations had a variety of music so you could hear all kinds of new stuff. 

new music:

local paper album reviews

live music at bars I go to, when that becomes a thing again

“best of” year end lists that friends post on social (I know a lot of local musicians)

old stuff that’s new to me:

youtube suggestions

facebook groups

reading pop culture history

• Like 1

I basically find all my new music through Youtube AI-generated recommended playlists. Almost any song I watch on YT, it makes two playlists for me in the sidebar.

One is called "My Mix" and it is a nearly neverending music playlist that seems to be loosely based on everything I've ever watched and liked while logged in.

The other long-ass playlist it makes for me is called "Mix - current video title" where it makes a list based strictly on the video you're currently watching. Always lots of wild stuff I've never heard, some closely related and others a bit of a stretch.

I'll attach a picture showing Youtube doing its thang.

So many rad jams, just waiting to be discovered. Too bad it can be a time wasting rabbit hole, but sometimes it's worth it.

f.jpg

• Like 1

My approach is a little esoteric but I love being surprised. I also like a really wide variety of music, so I guess that helps here. When I go thrifting I will buy any CD that looks interesting to me, maybe I've only heard about the artist or know nothing other than the genre, worth a shot. Give it a spin in the car, if it hooks me then it stays in for a while, makes home rotation, I dig deeper into their catalog of music. It's a really fun, passive way to try stuff new to me.

• Like 1

I use Spotify and discover a lot of bands/songs through the weekly Release Radar and Discover Weekly playlists. They are curated based on what I've listened to in the past and they introduce me to new bands every week.

I also occasionally fire up the Top Songs, Viral Charts, or genre specific charts to see what's popular right now. Spotify is great.