IGNORED

RIP Near, author of bsnes/higan

Abelardo

Terrible news, yesterday Near (previously known as byuu) has died by suicide as a result of intense cyberbullying.

Rest in peace Near, such a shame, nobody deserves this sort of treatment, fuck those cowards at Kiwi Farms, hopefully the perpetrators are brought to justice.

https://kotaku.com/the-brilliant-snes-emulator-creator-known-as-near-has-d-1847182851

• Sad 8

Horrible news. I was only peripherally aware of byuu/Near, but of course we’re all familiar with their work.

It was big news when byuu’s SNES collection went up for sale. I believe it was (name redacted) from NA who purchased the collection. From what I remember byuu even let (name redacted) spend the night at their house while he cataloged and packed it all up. 

EDIT: removed the member name just in case they don’t want to be brought into this conversation

Edited by attakid101

Unfortunately, cyber bullying is becoming more rampant as the modern society is focused on their phones and keyboards, and there will always be bad eggs to try to squash others’ hopes, dreams and happiness. 

I’ve never heard of Near before but seems like a deserved respectable member of the gaming community. RIP.

Oh no!

He was someone I really looked up to, someone who I personally adored in the community.

I can’t believe he’s gone…I wish I kept in touch with him more 😞 We used to chat over DM on NintendoAge and even by email.

Rest In Peace buddy, I’m sorry I wasn’t there to be an ear.

….I have this intense feeling of guilt that this is probably something that could have been prevented if NintendoAge was still around.

I could have maybe done something if his comfort zone was still around. 😞

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

Oh no!

He was someone I really looked up to, someone who I personally adored in the community.

I can’t believe he’s gone…I wish I kept in touch with him more 😞 We used to chat over DM on NintendoAge and even by email.

….I have this intense feeling of guilt that this is probably something that could have been prevented if NintendoAge was still around.

Would have been cool if he came here to VGS. Other than the occasional blip, I think we all get along pretty well here and keep things respectful 

• Like 1

At the risk of being piled on - has this been independently verified somewhere? Does anyone know who Hector Martin is? Do the Japanese police routinely comment on this sort of thing to non-relatives?

I never knew him, but it sounds like some here have worked with him in the past, so I hope it's not true. Sounds like he was an emulator and programming genius.

The fact he said that he was Autistic spoke volumes to me. 😐

Because I was 28 years old when a group therapist diagnosed me and said that I had Asperger's.

Before this revelation I was forced to act like the bullying and abuse was not happening. All I wanted was to enjoy what others took for granted, and was trying my hardest to be a good person. Which I was not always successful being. By the end of high school I graduated, but had zero interest in the fact I could have done better. The offline stuff never really changed, while the online stuff seemed to transfer from what I dealt with outside my home. And go from one interest to another, with a few vilifying me because they chose to not know the real me.

Years after the diagnosis, those who continued the trend acted (or even claimed) that I was using my disability as a "crutch" (which is an easily proven falsehood). And in one case tied to the events leading to their (as they are nonbinary) suicide, I told the administrator to the first Transformers forum that something like this could happen if they do not know how to help members who have anxiety-related issues. That administrator instead called their family lawyer to see if they are protected from such acts. Which makes sense because the founder said that he allows toxic behavior as long as the one doing it contributes to the site's success in the end.

As with Transformers, Star Wars, and a few other fandoms... Portions of it has me know what near went through. The rest are best left to those wondering why I may not return to the Dragon Quest topic. Along with why my goals have not been promoted here. With all of it having me wonder if anybody will be punished. Because all I can say is that if those who did it are better known, they can claim they did not understand near... That near was standoffish... Anything that will have others ignore what they did just because near was not neurotypical. Which is a challenge for those, like me, who do not have the same benefits that neurotypical folks have.

In the end things like this have me feel guilty for being an "Analytical Aspie". But I also do not have my business goals moving forward, among other things. Which I will not go into. And instead just point out that I very much relate to the issues he might have been put through. And will hope any updates will be offered. 😐

Administrator · Posted
10 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Oh no!

This was way bigger and much deeper than what it appears at the surface.  I don't think NA being around or not, would have had any real bearing on this.  Not to mention, please don't do this to yourself.  It's natural to feel guilt about..."what could I have done" in situations like this, but these struggles were longstanding and it's unlikely you could have singlehandedly changed this outcome.

• 1 year later...