IGNORED

Evercade -- What do you think?

Tanooki

I've been watching this long before it came out, just never could quite push myself over the edge into ownership.  AtariAge has a good base of a few people who actively buy and play with the game pack releases as they come out because they're cheap, varied, and well done.

So I did a search here, and I haven't really seen more than a person or two who seem to have one.  I was curious if anyone here had some feelings about it?  Own it?  Might want to but haven't because...?

The price isn't too bad, the premium package for around $100 seems nice with the 3 game carts included, and the others seem to generally average $20 +/- $5 which is a pretty solid deal considering it's physical media, on a cart no less, and in a nice plastic clamshell with manual(s) for the included titles which almost makes me wonder where the profit margin is. 😄

The thing is(clear) I enjoy handheld gaming more than console for some years now, just easier for me to lock into and enjoy, and this looks like a solid fit.  My only concern I guess personally would be to make time for it.  I'd love to jump in I think, would prefer to find the best price where I can nail down multiple specific carts at once beyond the premium package.  Lynx pack1+2, Piko, some others.  Not feeling the crusty 2600 stuff, the weird Oliver Twins pack and a few others though. 😉

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

The console itself always looked cheap to me, but the display looks pretty good for being a handheld.

I completely agree that these look cheap but the few YouTubers I follow that got free devices for review all said they were surprised at how strudy and good the device feels in your hand. Maybe the molds for the plastic are a bit cheap, but the plastic is thick so it doesn't feel like it will break with a good hand-squeeze.

I'd really like to know the thoughts of the people here. As collectors and players we can be a but picky. I appreciate that perspective. This is a device I really do like and want but I also just want to see and handle a demo unit first before I consider collecting for it. That's tough to do so hearing from this crowd is the next best thing.

• Like 3

Looks like the library is mostly ports of b-tier and c-tier filler games from the Stone Age.  Some cool indie stuff though.

I don’t see the appeal.  Having to swap out and fumble with easy to lose carts, not mention hauling cases and instructions around, it jumps feels counterintuitive for a grab and go system.

For that kind of money I’d prob just grab one of those retro portables and load it up with games I’d actually want to play and call it a day.

Edited by fox

Fox you do know this is a retro era gaming forum right?  Swapping out annoying carts is par for the course. 😉  And sure there are some B/C-tier stuff but others are anything but, kind of depends on the cartridge.

I do find it interesting since posting many here like me seem to be fence squatters instead of buyers.  I've read the same, it looks like one of those cheaper chinese handhelds like the FC Mobile88 I got some years back, but despite look, it's not flimsy.  And it is true that console version is coming up shortly too which makes it now a TV based system to play the games which would probably draw in more support from the anti-handheld types.

Ideally I do like the 2 Lynx carts, Technos, a few others, but there are some in there you just question.

I remember watching the GameSack reviews a while back.  I love the idea of the physical cartridges and the game selection seem surprisingly good compared to what I expected.  The biggest issue for me was that I already had the ability to play most of these games physically already.  I was on the fence for a while and eventually forgot about it.  This thread reminded me.  

What surprised me the most is when I checked out their site, I saw that they are getting ready to release a home console version of the system.  That's interesting for me as I'm not big into portable gaming.  You can even use the portable system as a wired controller for the home console.  I might think about getting this again.

1 hour ago, drxandy said:

Pretty sure @DoctorEncoreand @TrekMDhave the evercade, what's the worst about it/what would you change if you could?

For me, I'd say more robust speakers.  I find it comfortable to hold and the screen is very nice. 

@TDIRunnerYes, they are releasing a home console version called the Evercade VS.  They currently have sales going for the Founders, Premium, and Starter Editions. 

• Like 3

I re-watched the GameSack episodes on the Evercade and the biggest issue I see is the inability to remap buttons on all games.  Since those videos are sort of old, can anyone confirm if this has been fixed with a patch?  That is more or less a deal breaker for me.  Games can become unplayable for me if the buttons are swapped from their original setup and there is no way to fix it.  

On 5/28/2021 at 10:36 AM, drxandy said:

Pretty sure @DoctorEncoreand @TrekMDhave the evercade, what's the worst about it/what would you change if you could?

On 5/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, TDIRunner said:

I re-watched the GameSack episodes on the Evercade and the biggest issue I see is the inability to remap buttons on all games.  Since those videos are sort of old, can anyone confirm if this has been fixed with a patch?  That is more or less a deal breaker for me.  Games can become unplayable for me if the buttons are swapped from their original setup and there is no way to fix it.  

I do have an Evercade although I rarely use it. A few thoughts pros/cons:

Pros
+Solid construction with nice screen
+Physical cartridges with clamshell cases and instruction manuals for collectors
+Huge variety of games

Cons
-D-pad and buttons are a tad mushy, although not terrible
-Looks cheap (although feels much better in hand)
-Many of the games are just bad and even the good ones emulate the inferior console releases rather than the arcade versions
-No true custom button remapping (many of the mappings were fixed with firmware updates, though)

Overall, the Evercade is more of a fun distraction where you can play weird games (there are two Atari Lynx collections!) you can't easily access through other channels. However, if I have my Switch in close proximity, it's hard to justify picking up the Evercade.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Im sold on the console, looks really cool, especially if they keep the games coming. I wish the DS came in a console version. I love the old style games on it, but handhelds havent been my thing since I was young. 

My sister bought the VCS and was very disappointed with it, I think she was hoping more for something like this. My family just teamed up and pre ordered the console version of this and some games for Christmas. She had some serious health problems this year and I we all wanted to do something special for her. We grew up with a couple of Lynx's so she will love the Lynx 2 collection. 

On 5/28/2021 at 11:40 PM, TDIRunner said:

The biggest issue for me was that I already had the ability to play most of these games physically already. 

I think this would be my issue with the machine as well. Looks nice, but what's the point?

That's partly my problem too.

The point I started getting interested was when they put those 2 LYNX carts out, but even then, the glaring omission of some truly excellent third party or even first party atari made games really stings.  A few efforts since, depending on the titles, they're worth the effort at the low price entry point, but on the whole there's so much I've got access to already without the up front costs.  It's why I've talked on this thread for awhile now where I'm motivated, but just short of clicking the buy button.

I think if I ever saw someone fed up with it, and you got the usual used goods price cut value off the top, or someone ran some weird sale where it was like 1/3 off I'd probably click it.

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Not interested in the hand-held, but this might be cool

I like the idea of this consolized version quite a bit. They are committing to releasing a lot of the arcade versions of games with it, which alleviates some of the problems with the previous carts. I have one preordered so I'll update when I get some hands-on time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I like the idea of this consolized version quite a bit. They are committing to releasing a lot of the arcade versions of games with it, which alleviates some of the problems with the previous carts. I have one preordered so I'll update when I get some hands-on time.

I'll probably pull the trigger and pre-order one too. I mean, it's on amazon for $99!

On 8/29/2021 at 10:27 PM, CMR said:

It looks cool, but I'm in the "already got to much stuff so don't need it" camp. 

I hear you on "too many games too little time" but then again, can you really have too many games? 🤔

I was looking through the games list, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems to me like many of the games available on the Evercade are not easy to find in any physical format, or simply to not exist anywhere else. For example, consider the Megacat collection

https://smile.amazon.com/Evercade-Megacat-Cartridge-Collection-Electronic-Games/dp/B07XGBV6GW/

10 Megacat games, which you CAN purchase individually from Megacat will cost you around $350... FAR in excess of the Evercade and compilation cartridge! Honestly, the more I look into Evercade the more excited I am about this and I'm going to support them 🙂

2 hours ago, avatar! said:

I hear you on "too many games too little time" but then again, can you really have too many games? 🤔

I was looking through the games list, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems to me like many of the games available on the Evercade are not easy to find in any physical format, or simply to not exist anywhere else. For example, consider the Megacat collection

https://smile.amazon.com/Evercade-Megacat-Cartridge-Collection-Electronic-Games/dp/B07XGBV6GW/

10 Megacat games, which you CAN purchase individually from Megacat will cost you around $350... FAR in excess of the Evercade and compilation cartridge! Honestly, the more I look into Evercade the more excited I am about this and I'm going to support them 🙂

This is the best thing about the Evercade. They actually went out and got obscure stuff and some cool indies to pad their lineup. You probably have 50 versions of Pac-Man already, but how many versions of Flea! do you own?

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1