IGNORED

The Neo Geo Thread

On 11/7/2019 at 10:42 AM, Gentlegamer said:

I have a modded home system and a handful of home carts that were 'cheap.'

I'd like to get a NeoSD Pro if TerraOnion ever manufactures any more.

Barring that, I may get a MVS to home system converter and look into the custom shock boxes to satisfy collectard collecting standards.

What happened with TerraOnion and the NeoSD?? I see they are out of stock... I'm glad I got mine (not the PRO but still).

Found a *local* listing for Windjammers last weekend. Local as in I could actually just get in my car to drive there and pick it up. Wild!

I officially stopped buying Neo Geo games 15 or so years ago, but I've had a few holes in my collection ever since. With that game finally down, I don't feel that I'm really lacking any games anymore outside of a few key ones: Super Dodge Ball, Zupapa, Magician Lord, Nam-1975, and Metal Slug X.

Oh, and Twinkle Star Sprites. But it seems unlikely I'll ever be able to throw money after that one.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:16 AM, Sumez said:

Found a *local* listing for Windjammers last weekend. Local as in I could actually just get in my car to drive there and pick it up. Wild!

I officially stopped buying Neo Geo games 15 or so years ago, but I've had a few holes in my collection ever since. With that game finally down, I don't feel that I'm really lacking any games anymore outside of a few key ones: Super Dodge Ball, Zupapa, Magician Lord, Nam-1975, and Metal Slug X.

Oh, and Twinkle Star Sprites. But it seems unlikely I'll ever be able to throw money after that one.

Maybe look into it on Dreamcast? It is honestly my #1 Neo Geo game, even though NTM tend to b my go to game on the console.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:36 AM, Galdius said:

Thanks!

The AES has 117 games from what I remember.

89 US releases (doesn't included Puzzled which never came to the states)...... 117 overall...... I finished the US AES set some time ago. I got a few Japanese exclusive releases but got tired of the import hassle back then and didn't finish the worldwide set. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

89 US releases (doesn't included Puzzled which never came to the states)...... 117 overall...... I finished the US AES set some time ago. I got a few Japanese exclusive releases but got tired of the import hassle back then and didn't finish the worldwide set. 

You've got Metal Slug 1, Neo Turf Masters, Ninja Masters, Stakes Winner?  Like, legit ones?  Each one of those is much harder to find than a NWC IMO.

21 minutes ago, peg said:

You've got Metal Slug 1, Neo Turf Masters, Ninja Masters, Stakes Winner?  Like, legit ones?  Each one of those is much harder to find than a NWC IMO.

lol yes, 100% Legit ones...... No fakes, phony or conversions....... all verified on the boards, manuals and inserts. Verifying authentic US AES games is all based on verifying the paper and the print. I have had most of them before collecting became cool. 

3 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

lol yes, 100% Legit ones...... No fakes, phony or conversions....... all verified on the boards, manuals and inserts. Verifying authentic US AES games is all based on verifying the paper and the print. I have had most of them before collecting became cool. 

Do you want a new son.. dad?

• Haha 1

Here is a random anecdote of how I acquired Ninja Commando AES (Euro) 5 years ago. I saw a local listing on Craigslist for Neo Geo games. Terrible pictures with not much info provided. 

My dad and I drove about 45 minutes to this guy's house. This guy was kinda sketchy and his house stunk of cigarettes and cats. Pretty filthy home. We probably shouldn't have gone inside in hindsight. He had 2 or 3 large cardboard boxes full of CIB Neo Geo games which he brought in from the garage. US / Euro. Had to have been about 20-30 games. Great collection! The man said his brother acquired them many years ago when he was stationed in Europe. Wow! He must have spent serious money to purchase all of them (presumably) new. I dont know if his brother knew he was selling them lol. 

He was naming fair prices for the games. He had titles like King of the Monsters, Burning Fight, etc. I brought my AES and plugged it into his living room crt to test the games. I was 16 at the time so I could only afford 1 game. So I got Ninja Commando from him for $200. I wish I could go back in time and buy a lot more. He was a nice guy. I wonder where all the other games ended up.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Wow man. Which ones remain that you really wanna buy??

I’m still looking for a CIB copy of Magician Lord and a Japanese CIB copy of Super Sidekicks. I already found those two but there weren’t in the conditions that I wanted.

The collector that sold me his copy of Metal Slug X also has a few games that I wanted but they are more expensive.

Edited by Galdius

You and your very deep pockets and/or shrewdness on the whole AES thing amuses me to no end.  I've got the MVS side of things here and only in the last 18mo or so has it really gone toxic with people making them go up since AES got into such a league it scares most.  I haven't looked it all over yet, but given some games can get to some very insane values it's a hard, probably the hardest "console" ride someone can take if we don't put some peoples interest of Stadium Events into play.

• 6 months later...
On 12/19/2019 at 10:16 AM, Sumez said:

Super Dodge Ball, Zupapa, Magician Lord, Nam-1975, and Metal Slug X.

Got Magician Lord the other day after 3 months in the mail, so now I'm down to only a tiny handful of missing ones....
So if anyone's got a spare Nam, Twinkle, or Dodge Ball, please hit me up XD

1941825334_mvs(1).jpg.8c304600e860f84b26dce735be3f6e36.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

How do you authenticate MVS carts? They're all over the place in terms of physical appearance - plus aren't there, like, two PCBs inside each game?

-CasualCart

Yeah, it's kind of baffling how fake an MVS game can appear when you don't care about the labels, which I definitely didn't when I started collecting. I was just thrilled to be able to find Neo Geo games at $10-$20 a piece XD

But it wasn't uncommon for operators in the 90s to replace labels or even put the PCBs into other shells. But bootlegs definitely exist, and in recent years it's gotten much worse. When I started out, I think the only ones you wanted to watch out for were Neo Bomberman and Puzzle Bobble 2 because those two were frequently bootlegged at the time they were new in the arcades.
For most MVS games I don't really bother, because they are cheap enough that bootlegging them would cost a lot more than an original one. But I did eventually check some of my more expensive ones. Though my Blazing Star was "cheap" back in 2004 compared to now, at the time it was the most expensive one I had. And its label is literally a ripped off King of Fighters label, so I had every reason to suspect it. Checked out the PCBs though, and it's completely fine however.
My KOF2001 is a bootleg though (the only one I have), but it's a cheap game anyway and I got it in a bundle, so I don't really care.
Generally, the best approach is checking for EPROMs or anything that looks like hand soldered ICs on the boards. At the time I also checked up on the neo-geo.com forums for legit (and bootleg) pictures that people shared. Nowadays of course, you got mvs-scans.com as @Mr. CIB posted, and that site really makes it easy to clear up.

I actually won an auction on a Zupapa! the other day claiming it was an original, but after seeing PCB pics I could tell they matched other bootleg pictures, so I had them cancel the purchase. I think the seller genuinely thought it was original, and generally I tend to trust ebay sellers stating that.
My Samurai Shodown V Special I bought from an official Japanese arcade dealer and got it with official artworks and stuff, so I have no reason to even doubt that one.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...