IGNORED

The Neo Geo Thread

2 hours ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

I have been exploring Neo Geo via my modded Wii on a CRT with component in and I must say Neo Geo really kicks ass. Not much exposure to the system until this month. I get why people love it. 🙂 

Welcome to the club 🙂 any games in particular that you been enjoying?

I’m a big fan of SNK and am on the hunt for a big red cab and a list of games.. can’t wait to properly join the Neo Geo family.

I remember being fairly young in the early 90s and playing Samurai Showdown, Final Fight, Magician Lord, Art of Fighting, Ghost Pilots and NAM on my dads AES. The opening SNK jingle still gives me a little of the tingles.

I more recently purchased and played Mark of the Wolves and Last Blade 2 on the Dreamcast with a couple of modified green goblin sticks, which made me hanker to play the real deal on an MVS.

Anywho, for anyone that cares, that’s my story.

• Like 3

Hey gang, could I please get opinions on if you think these labels are replacements? I believe that it’s hard to replicate the holo labels however both of these games are from the same seller and both have the same label curling on the right side (zoom in) as if the label was not placed properly. I had a look at a bunch of other legit game pictures and I didn’t notice any that had this issue. Opinions please? Thanks!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Snappy
Typo

1 hour ago, Rooster said:

Neo Geo looks like a lot of fun, but the games are so expensive that its scared me off.  Is this a console for rich people only?

Originally, the home console version (AES) was marketed as a luxury console. Many people pursue the cheaper (but not cheap) MVS which is the arcade hardware, either consolized or in an arcade cabinet.

21 hours ago, Snappy said:

Hey gang, could I please get opinions on if you think these labels are replacements? I believe that it’s hard to replicate the holo labels however both of these games are from the same seller and both have the same label curling on the right side (zoom in) as if the label was not placed properly. I had a look at a bunch of other legit game pictures and I didn’t notice any that had this issue. Opinions please? Thanks!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Do = Real.  Why?  Holo label, I've not seen those faked.  Bonus for someone who is more discerning than that already, it's a very low serial number being #51. That's a genuine sticker.

AF2 = 90/10% sure that's real.  I've got Sonic Wings2 (and 3) which had tattered US stickers OVER their Japanese originals, and they looked just like that with the 5 digit serial, the video system copyright, and the made in japan bit in the corner.  I can't really zoom your image, maybe you could do that if you feel the need and repost, it, but the stickers were never adhered like they were excellently centered or ready for display as they're just arcade cabinet cartridge slag that hides in the darkness.  SNK was sloppy in the US, they'd re-sticker Japanese games with US stickers over the top of them as I've had this.  I'm almost positive your AF2 is genuine.

• Like 1

Further advice since it takes no skills or tools really.  In the future if you're worried, take a close up pic of the sticker as best as possible so someone can spot defects easier or inconsistencies.  And on those two ideas, a philips head screwdriver to open the cage up on the 2 boards, and snap a pic of those boards.  They can easily be ID'd as a fraud or not.  There is a site online that has mvs scans of all board/variants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Further advice since it takes no skills or tools really.  In the future if you're worried, take a close up pic of the sticker as best as possible so someone can spot defects easier or inconsistencies.  And on those two ideas, a philips head screwdriver to open the cage up on the 2 boards, and snap a pic of those boards.  They can easily be ID'd as a fraud or not.  There is a site online that has mvs scans of all board/variants.

Thanks again, yeah I did check the boards against MVS-scans.com and they passed muster so I was just trying to verify the label. Mr Do! was at the top of my list so I am super pumped at a low serial version in great condition.

No problem, you should be proud of that unique mix of the holo label and the low serial as that's double desirable as an owner, or if you had to part with it to the right buyer.  Just like Nintendo, MVS buyers have those with discerning unique tastes for both those things beyond just full kit collectors, shockbox lovers, and the rest.

Warning: ranting

gah, this guy sent me Success Joe wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a plastic envelope type thing to ship. No box! "Shockingly" the cartridge arrived chipped and a piece inside snapped. Contacted him about a solution and he just blames the shippers, saying it's not his doing etc etc. I decided screw it and put in a return which he has yet to respond. I think what angers me is he just won't accept blame on this.

Anyway, end rant - Neo Geo is awesome 🙂

3 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Warning: ranting

gah, this guy sent me Success Joe wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a plastic envelope type thing to ship. No box! "Shockingly" the cartridge arrived chipped and a piece inside snapped. Contacted him about a solution and he just blames the shippers, saying it's not his doing etc etc. I decided screw it and put in a return which he has yet to respond. I think what angers me is he just won't accept blame on this.

Anyway, end rant - Neo Geo is awesome 🙂

Wow incompetence and arrogance, shocking! 😄  That return will be so forced.  All it needs is a picture of that fine packing job, then the damage, and he's finished and paying to return it too which serves him right.  IT's a shame they can't slap on an asshole tax for wasting your time considering how blatant it is.  It's one thing if it was truly shipper destroyed like in a box with packing, but a baggie basically?  No.

Back on Nov 1st a few posts into this thread I popped in a picture of 8man.  Only reason I'm bringing this up is to amuse you that shipper incompetence can go both ways.  I saw that one on ebay too and the listing had someone using a popped open cmvs up against a TV with the game in it, I thought I might have seen the mini marquee tossed barely on shot on the table to the side, but the listing was just game alone.  I got it for like $60 or so, the usual value of that game at the time before MVS got dumb about a year back from now.  It arrives about a week later and in this rectangular box with butcher paper and postage on it.  I was thinking wow smart guy, took care of it with nice packing...then I start to rip the paper.  Staring back at me is the 8man logo and it took a moment to dawn on me this guy was a moron, did not know what he had, and I hope nothing was jacked up.  Luck would have it, the USPS was gentle, and the entire kit shows up which I had never seen sold on ebay at the time or up to a year after that even once even as the game went up in value.  I have no idea how bad that guy screwed up, but hey, victory is mine. 😉

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about just picking up a consolized MVS and one of the 161 carts. I'd likely pick up some actual MVS carts as well since not every game I want is on there. For those of you with the CMVS and the 161 cart...have you had any issues? Is there anything I should know before going down this road?

5 hours ago, DorkOverlord said:

I'm thinking about just picking up a consolized MVS and one of the 161 carts. I'd likely pick up some actual MVS carts as well since not every game I want is on there. For those of you with the CMVS and the 161 cart...have you had any issues? Is there anything I should know before going down this road?

I think it depends on which CMVS. Madlittlepixel did a video on one using the cartridge and I think it had some issues but I do not remember. You may want to check the video.

• Like 1

I think the Omega CMVS I read before can have issues with the 161, but in general no the consolized systems where they're really just straight up cannibalizing a real MVS1 and throwing some TV level outputs/inputs(controllers) on them they're just fine.  The 161 has nearly 100 unique titles, though 2 of them are jacked up (Last Blade 2 an crash, Aero Fighters 3 has a sprite/bullet issue rendering it useless.)  Though you do kind of get back a +1 as SNK vs Capcom on there, the copy is a 'hack' but it's the preferred hack most consider better handled/balanced than the original so it gets a pass.  The board on it has some lack of a pair of caps though in most cases, can cause some volume hi-low slide and potential static on the sound in a few games but it's addressable and the most newest of them (if you can 100% surely source one) finally fixed that lazy issue.  I wish mine wasn't an older one as the audio issue sucks.

• Like 1

I have the Vic-A Neo Geo AES, but no matching controller, unfortunately. 

And right now, the power will intermittently cycle on and off/restart in the middle of playing. Will normally do it for 10 or so times, until it stabilizes. 

I really hope it just needs a cap replacement. 

I only have 10 games for it, at the moment. I absolutely ADORE fighting games, so I think I'm going to try and buy 1 or 2 games every month for 2020. That's my new years resolution. Topping it off with SNK vs Capcom in December 2020, lol.