IGNORED

The Neo Geo Thread

11 minutes ago, BeaglePuss said:

I just recently re-purchased my first ever Neo Candy that I sold off nearly 15 years ago. The most recent owner did a fine job of fixing her up. 

I haven’t sunk my teeth back into the cab yet, but will give it a proper overhaul when I get some free time. 

946E4047-8FFC-4522-9CF9-E8AAA2BC7D56.jpeg

So sick!!!

• Thanks 1

The Unibios deserves some praise. I love using the Jukebox feature. You can finally listed to Neo Geo music with no interruptions of sound effects! Sometimes you can also find unused tracks with the jukebox player. I wish something like this existed for all consoles. Anyone have some Neo Geo tracks they'd like to share?

11 hours ago, BeaglePuss said:

I just recently re-purchased my first ever Neo Candy that I sold off nearly 15 years ago. The most recent owner did a fine job of fixing her up. 

I haven’t sunk my teeth back into the cab yet, but will give it a proper overhaul when I get some free time. 

946E4047-8FFC-4522-9CF9-E8AAA2BC7D56.jpeg

My dream machine! Was working on a deal with someone but it was just enough distance that shipping rather than driving to it made sense, and shipping a cab? No thank ya.

• Like 1

You would be wise.  I did a lot of thinking when I decided I wanted something arcade.   It came down (multicade not desired) to finding the best option.  One would be to get a fantastic looking cabinet with more than enough buttons(4-6) with a pair of sticks that takes JAMMA so the board options would be far and wide.  I was leaning there mentally for a time, but the MVS popped up in my mind as a true favorite of the 90s and the luck happened to tip one into my hands locally for a very overly reasonable price.  The JAMMA bit would require more work, more expense, and storage of a lot of decent sized boards which pushed me off it.  The MVS is basically a coin drop console hiding inside a cabinet with the oversized two board cartridge shells so they're durable, rugged, well protected and easily swapped using no more than a puffy VHS tape space basically to store each title.  Those factors and others really clinched it.

The Neo Geo is a huge space saver as you can keep a library of dozens of games in the space of literally one cabinet, most  if you're cool using a pair of multicarts on the market as it will cover nearly ever single release.

That said I'd also and always will strongly suggest taking a bite into the Neo Geo Pocket Color too as it has a good sized library of mostly great titles that aren't overly expensive on the whole with a more than reasonably priced uniquely well made click stick based system.  And now with the drop in solder free backlight screen handheld legend alone sells that little issue is fixed up too for all of $60 for the custom lens cover and screen package.

Double post fun:  I got bored and didn't want to really play or watch anything after that post and remembered I forgot to catalog a years worth of changes to my MVS collection/setup so I've taken pictures of all of it and archived it on flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22443064@N08/albums/72157689675232071/with/38249968395/

That's everything.  One group shot of all the bare carts, a few of the system on/off, misc marquees/etc with the 161, and then anything that was more than a game such as with shockbox, with mini marquee, partial kit and full kit got their own image.

Going forward I know I've been lazy but I'd like to join that Sengoku and Samurai Shodown 1 mini marquee to the cart itself and I'd love to get Art of Fighting 1 as I used to enjoy that too.  It would be nice to get more mini marquees but buying them individually is madness now.

• Like 1

My small game library its funny I originally sold my first uni-bios modded AES console with about 12 games. I regretted it because I needed the money and right after I started collecting for it again. I have everything I need except for the console now, only problem is when I first bought my AES it was $200 now its skyrocketed up to $400 just for one. That JAP AES release of Super Sidekicks 2 is brand new.

neo.jpg

Edited by MisterGoomba

I couldn't agree more.  A good solid consistent Neo-Geo thread seems like a solid choice, and what better way is there than sharing what you have in pictures, discussion, and experiences (past or present.)  I went out of my way and took all those shots I had put off for a stretch and uploaded them, so it's not that hard.  Maybe I should do the NGPC too as that wouldn't eat up much time or space as that's small.

I always knew of the neo geo arcade from when I was a kid, but had never seen a home console first hand. Then I had my first AES find in 2010 (Boxed Gold console and 15 or so games) and it changed everything. Now I think I am pushing 80 AES carts.. Neo Geo is like the cocaine of the video game world... The pinnacle of the pixel era.

• Like 3

I got an aes a few years ago but only ever got 3 original games for it.  I did get a neosd and I love it.  I did the rgb bypass and added a unibios to my aes as it was originally a japan model.

I also picked up the newer memory card (neo flash master)and that is neat to use.  Here are some pics playing the AES on my RGB modded Sony Trinitron.

20190713_212354.jpg

20190714_081354.jpg

• Like 1