IGNORED

The Neo Geo Thread

I don't atm, but may look into them at some point. Am probably going to see about conversion carts prior - games that were not MVS but were NG. Ironclad is a great example - NG CD game that people 'ported' to an MVS cart.

Edit: oh Ghostlop would be another great example. An undistributed game by Data East that got dumped and thus put into cartridge boards.

Edited by Nintegageo

5 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

I don't atm, but may look into them at some point. Am probably going to see about conversion carts prior - games that were not MVS but were NG. Ironclad is a great example - NG CD game that people 'ported' to an MVS cart.

Edit: oh Ghostlop would be another great example. An undistributed game by Data East that got dumped and thus put into cartridge boards.

I'm aware of Ghostlop and Ironclad

Have you seen the Xeno Crisis thread yet? I knew the creators were planning a physical release for Genesis, but I just saw today on their website that they offer physical for AES and MVS

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

Yes sir 😉 ordered an MVS. Just wish the Canadian dollar wasn't such crap haha. But hey, wanted to support NG games and this is such an arcade style game.

It looks perfect for it. I called it a Smash TV/Cyber Lip hybrid, someone else said Shock Troopers. Either way, it looks awesome.

3 minutes ago, Galdius said:

It's really tempting to get the AES version even if it's expensive.
It will probably go up in price after it's sold out.

The MVS full kit apparently sold out while I was browsing. There was an add to cart button when I first looked at it, then I looked at what was included in the cheaper option. When I came back to the "Collector's Edition", it said Out of Stock...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

The MVS full kit apparently sold out while I was browsing. There was an add to cart button when I first looked at it, then I looked at what was included in the cheaper option. When I came back to the "Collector's Edition", it said Out of Stock...

When I checked the store, it was already sold out.
i'm very tempted to get the AES version.

9 hours ago, Br81zad said:

I'm aware of Ghostlop and Ironclad

Have you seen the Xeno Crisis thread yet? I knew the creators were planning a physical release for Genesis, but I just saw today on their website that they offer physical for AES and MVS

Well then I guess you would not be aware of Crossed Swords 2 then?  Razoola who did the work on the unibios also did the conversion of the NeoCD sequel game Crossed Swords 2 to the MVS format.  I used to have it, not really sure why I sold it as I forgot as it was enjoyable.  The CD version audio couldn't be straight lifted so a mix of the originals music and some other sources were pulled for it.  The game as a sequel has more expanded controls for attack, evasion, and movement, but also now sports 3 styles of attacker you can use and each is quite different from the next.

10 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

Would game reviews interest you guys? Been considering playing a game 1h then writing a review on my impression. Some I have obviously put time into but others I have barely touched so would be a cool way to experience the games.

Yes. We are actually working on something so people can upload reviews and we hopefully Will have a review section (or something comparable)

• Thanks 1

Tokin Games Review #0.5

Welcome to Tokin Games, my sporadic Neo Geo MVS game reviews! Why the name? The plan is essentially this – smoke a joint, play a game and then write a review. Plus; who doesn’t love puns?

Alright, so with that done, let’s get on with the show. As this is my inaugural Tokin Games review, today I thought I’d write about a game I know well – Twinkle Star Sprites! This game is a legitimate contender in my books as the best game on the Neo Geo. So let’s break down why, shall we?

Graphics

Now I can totally understand this being contentious, as they clearly went with a cuter graphical style in a traditionally challenging genre. But put bias aside and just look at the attention to detail – the characters, whether generic or unique, all have their own look and/or style. The animations are also well done, and you legitimately want to see how each character uses their own weapons and strategies to win. In short: the graphics are great, and get an A+ in my books.

Gameplay

This is a vertical shooter, so you should have a general idea already about how the game plays. What makes TSS so special is that 1 or 2 players, it doesn’t matter, you are playing against an opponent. When you chain your shots together, they then get shot to your opponents’ side, who then has to contend with not only what the level shoots their way but also their opponent! I give the game an A in single player, but TSS really shines with two people playing against each other in the versus mode (A+).

Soundtrack

The soundtrack depends on what you enjoy, just like the graphical style. Personally, I thought the tracks were well suited to their respective level’s theme, as well as the game’s in general. The tracks are short, but do not get annoying as you play the game. Should you rather some deep and emotional tunes however, this is not the game you should be playing. B+

Replayability

This is a very important category in an arcade game, and TSS has it in spades. You are never going to play the same game twice, and it is just a joy to really get your chain attacks going and seeing your opponent evade all the crap trying to crash into them. As mentioned; the animations, gameplay and soundtrack mean it is easy on the eyes and ears; which really helps you want to play the game and become a good player.

A+ game!

Alrighty, so that is just a sorta test attempt at writing a review. Certainly hoping you guys give your thoughts. Do you think it should be more in-depth, any categories you think can be added to the review (or should I even do it in categories) etc etc. My main idea is just to write a short and enjoyable intro to an NG game so others might want to try it. Oh, and pictures are also something I plan to use, this is just to get some other thoughts. Cheers!

• The title was changed to The Neo Geo Thread