IGNORED

The Neo Geo Thread

Who else loves the Neo Geo :)? Just short a couple games now to completing my MVS collection and wondering whether any other Neo Geo enthusiasts are on VGS.

Obviously there are reasons why the console wasn't in every home back in the day, but now there are several ways to play the games. Anyone looking to play a retro console and cheat some nostalgia should check it out.

• Like 1

I actually ordered an MVS-C, 2 AES sticks, Universal Bios, NeoBios Masta, Case, and NeoSD a while back. Waiting on a supergun to be built for me. 

Can't wait to learn about the system and start collecting carts.  I know it's pricy but will be an interesting search.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zeppelin03 said:

Can't wait to learn about the system and start collecting carts.  I know it's pricy but will be an interesting search

It has some VERY cool art and history. The good thing about the console is that any game on it is at least decent.

Man, AES is intense. You are right about their games though. The MVS is the only cartridge I don't insist on a decent label, I hope the AES owners were smart enough not to destroy theirs.

51 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

It has some VERY cool art and history. The good thing about the console is that any game on it is at least decent.

Man, AES is intense. You are right about their games though. The MVS is the only cartridge I don't insist on a decent label, I hope the AES owners were smart enough not to destroy theirs.

In my experience I've found that a lot of the AES games were well taken care of. Maybe it had to do with them being hundreds of dollars at the time 🤣. Though early US games can be pretty rough. Since they could have been from rental stores. My "Blue's Journey" was a rental.

Many still have there plastic bags on the manuals and sometimes even have the OG seal left on or stuck inside the case.

Yes there are bootlegs. But they really only show up at the top tier of games like on any other system. If you're like me, I'm not in the market for those top level games. And let me tell you, that top level is way higher than on Nintendo systems. Just be smart and be able to identify a conversion.

Ebay is really difficult for Neo Geo AES games. So many up there are for ridiculous Buy it Now prices. Ignore them and be patient. Wait for auctions to find out that their true value is less than BIN prices. If you can, use forums. I've been so thankful to have good deals made on Nintendoage.

Edited by acromite53

2 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Are there regional differences between many of the titles or did Japan/US mostly get the same ROMs?

Exact same roms in cartridges. Just a different label. The BIOS chip of the console determines what language/mode to play in. And all systems are region free. Sometimes there are differences like changed blood in fighting games. Games are mostly the same in both modes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

Exact same roms in cartridges. Just a different label. The BIOS chip of the console determines what language/mode to play in. And all systems are region free. Sometimes there are differences like changed blood in fighting games. Games are mostly the same in both modes.

Awesome! I'm in Japan in a week. Will keep an eye out for some cheap MVS stuff.  Already going to look for some of those bean arcade sticks.

Haha acromite53 my man, I am just gonna get a CMVS at some point and be happy ;).

Neo Geo MVS is super weird in that a 'complete' collection to people tends to mean even the region exclusive ones because they play on any machine. I just went with the North American ones, then bought a couple Japanese ones because they are totally playable (Neo Bomberman was Japan exclusive!). I might buy some other ones but I think 1-2 Mahjong games are acceptable haha.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

Haha acromite53 my man, I am just gonna get a CMVS at some point and be happy ;).

Neo Geo MVS is super weird in that a 'complete' collection to people tends to mean even the region exclusive ones because they play on any machine. I just went with the North American ones, then bought a couple Japanese ones because they are totally playable (Neo Bomberman was Japan exclusive!). I might buy some other ones but I think 1-2 Mahjong games are acceptable haha.

Very nice. A CMVS is definitely the way to go.

I had no idea Neo Bomberman was a JP exclusive.

I am hugely in love with my Neo Geo Pocket Color. I really enjoy myself some Card Fighters Clash in my down time. I've never really dabbled in  their arcade stuff or the AES. We have a MVS with Metal Slug and Neo Geo Cup 98' at work, but I've never had the time to really mess around with it. If they'd put Puzzle Bobble on it, I'd be all over it.

• Like 1

I love my AES. I have it for a few years now (probably since 2012) but up to September 2018 I had only 6 games for it.
At that time, a friend decided to sell his AES collection and I got a lot of his. In november a Brazilian collector decided to sell his entire collection and I got a lot of AES games from November to January.
I also managed to get a few good things on Mercado Livre cheaper than on ebay.
I went from 6 games to 55 games in one year. It was very exciting and fun to discover a lot of new games.
When I reached 50 games I took the picture below.

opHbtt0l.jpg

It isn't cheap to collect for but the AES is an awesome machine with amazing games.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 3

Ah yes I still have a soft spot for Neo Geo, I owned an AES several years ago (around the time Dreamcast launched) and in all honestly even though I loved the thing it was way to expensive even then to collect for, let alone I would had to depend on online to even get games for it thus ended up selling what I had and just played them by other means. One day I would love to have a CMVS or an actual cabinet. 

2 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Dark Arms singlehandedly has me considering an NGPC, but I am really not the handheld type. Even GBC, I tend to just buy the ones that can play on the Super Game Boy.

@MrWunderful how do you like the jnx model?

@Galdius dude.. awesome!

It is outstanding quality. I absolutely love it. Maybe Ill post some gameplay vids through my framemeister tonite

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

I actually ordered an MVS-C, 2 AES sticks, Universal Bios, NeoBios Masta, Case, and NeoSD a while back. Waiting on a supergun to be built for me. 

Can't wait to learn about the system and start collecting carts.  I know it's pricy but will be an interesting search.

Just curious where did you order all of this from? There are plenty of boards it seems to convert into consoles, but I can never find cases, etc.

19 minutes ago, Boodead said:

Just curious where did you order all of this from? There are plenty of boards it seems to convert into consoles, but I can never find cases, etc.

NeoGeoFanClub and Roozla for the bios parts.  Sticks were ebay from Japanese sellers.  Lions3 had some plexiglass shells so I ordered one.  Flash cart was directly from Terraonion.

• Like 1

Just a couple images as it gets big.  In my time away I switched gears and I got to dabble with arcade and pinball a bit.  I am an owner of that cab you see, it now does have a NOS bezel installed into it (samurai shodown.)  I've had more than I do now, but settled at a 30 game library, of which 2 are complete(neo turf and 8man), and I have a few others minus the cardboard box and bubbles that are too.  I've also got the NGPC along with around 15+ games for it (and the retrohq ngpc sd kit too.)  I always enjoyed the cabinet back in the early 90s and at other points in that decade too so when I got a local chance a few years back I was all over it and after I had that, I wanted my NGPC back so I did that too.  Currently considering adding the handheld legend backlit drop in LCD for the handheld as well.

That 8man has a weird story around it too, that was not what I was expecting in the mail or how it was mailed.

neo-geo-mvs1.JPG

ng-8mankit.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MuNKeY said:

Ah yes I still have a soft spot for Neo Geo, I owned an AES several years ago (around the time Dreamcast launched) and in all honestly even though I loved the thing it was way to expensive even then to collect for, let alone I would had to depend on online to even get games for it thus ended up selling what I had and just played them by other means. One day I would love to have a CMVS or an actual cabinet. 

Now that is really interesting that you owned it around 99. Cause it already became a collector system. I'd guess you couldnt really find games in stores past 94. But it was still big with fans buying through online distributors like NGF. Up until 2004. Games were still new when you had it in that era which blows my mind. Where and why did you buy it then? Did you have any interest in the new Neo Geo carts being released or did you buy older titles second hand, and from where?