IGNORED

The Neo Geo Thread

I usually prefer the US AES releases but for the later titles 95 and up, I have no choice but get JP due to prices. I soldered in a socket and Unibios chip in my AES. I bought my MVS 2 slot from a church. It was broken but I fixed it. It needed a fuse, monitor recap, flyback converter, and be wired correctly. I only have 2 MVS games. I use the 160 in 1 cart.

20191101_114936.jpg

20191101_114827.jpg

Edited by acromite53
  • Like 4

I have fun playing the games, but almost instantaneously decided that collecting for it wasn't for me. I did however want to play it via RGB on original hardware. So at one point in time arcadeworks offered the OMEGA as a kit which essentially came with the case, power supply and controller ports. I bought an MV1C single slot MVS board and threw it in, no other mods. It's served me well with a multicart. It will probably be blasphemy to people in this thread but I actually am not a huge fan of the Neo Geo Arcade Stick. I bought this adapter to use Sega Genesis controllers about a year later and almost exclusively play like that now!

neo.JPG.9078da3e26ac41c0cebe706aad3b1328.JPG

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, aaronmjr said:

I have fun playing the games, but almost instantaneously decided that collecting for it wasn't for me. I did however want to play it via RGB on original hardware. So at one point in time arcadeworks offered the OMEGA as a kit which essentially came with the case, power supply and controller ports. I bought an MV1C single slot MVS board and threw it in, no other mods. It's served me well with a multicart. It will probably be blasphemy to people in this thread but I actually am not a huge fan of the Neo Geo Arcade Stick. I bought this adapter to use Sega Genesis controllers about a year later and almost exclusively play like that now!

neo.JPG.9078da3e26ac41c0cebe706aad3b1328.JPG

It's not blasphemy, I agree with you on the controllers.  The stick itself is just ok, and the buttons actually feel kinda cheap compared to normal arcade buttons, a huge contrast with what you'd think based on it's looks.  I do admit the sticks look awesome, but they are not the best way to play the Neo.

I personally use a PS3 sixaxis controller or Saturn pad using converters to play it.

2 hours ago, acromite53 said:

Now that is really interesting that you owned it around 99. Cause it already became a collector system. I'd guess you couldnt really find games in stores past 94. But it was still big with fans buying through online distributors like NGF. Up until 2004. Games were still new when you had it in that era which blows my mind. Where and why did you buy it then? Did you have any interest in the new Neo Geo carts being released or did you buy older titles second hand, and from where?

I had gone through ebay and bid on one and lost and had this wild ideal to contact the seller (since he was also selling games as well) to see if he happened upon another to contact me (which I really wasn't expecting one) and sure enough they did and oddly they were also from a collectors forum which very well may had been neo geo forums or something similar, but anyway got to talking and ended up buying a boxed aes system with  Magican Lord  and also Samurai Shodown II and seems there was also a 3rd title as well but a few years before that time I owned a neo geo cd (the first model) with some games and I think I may be thinking of that systems games but it was King of Fighters '94 if it was,  but my main reason for wanting one was for the Metal Slug and I think Metal Slug 3 was the new one fixing to drop was eyeballing a few other titles as well.   I kept it for a few months and it was then I pretty much knew I'd never afford new games for it and too boot I was about to be come a father with my first child (she was born June 2000) so obviously I had some huge responsibilities on the way thus was sold and funny enough it the guy whom I had originally bought it from was the one who took it back of course at price lower than what I had given.  

Damn that brought back a lot of old memories l am surprised I even remembered that much of it all. lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

The 161-in-1 cart is the smart way to play. Woulda saved me some serious money haha.

Can not agree any more than how that was put.  I'm glad it came with my cabinet the day I got it.  Before I decided to throw the net wider when I was actively at it, my first job of sorts was to track down any game NOT on that thing I used to enjoy in pizza parlors and stuff around 1990 and the few years after it annoyingly lacks.  I never did get Sengoku though but I do have hte mini marquee for it.  I then did start to get my favorites off the multicart that mattered most to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MuNKeY said:

I had gone through ebay and bid on one and lost and had this wild ideal to contact the seller (since he was also selling games as well) to see if he happened upon another to contact me (which I really wasn't expecting one) and sure enough they did and oddly they were also from a collectors forum which very well may had been neo geo forums or something similar, but anyway got to talking and ended up buying a boxed aes system with  Magican Lord  and also Samurai Shodown II and seems there was also a 3rd title as well but a few years before that time I owned a neo geo cd (the first model) with some games and I think I may be thinking of that systems games but it was King of Fighters '94 if it was,  but my main reason for wanting one was for the Metal Slug and I think Metal Slug 3 was the new one fixing to drop was eyeballing a few other titles as well.   I kept it for a few months and it was then I pretty much knew I'd never afford new games for it and too boot I was about to be come a father with my first child (she was born June 2000) so obviously I had some huge responsibilities on the way thus was sold and funny enough it the guy whom I had originally bought it from was the one who took it back of course at price lower than what I had given.  

Damn that brought back a lot of old memories l am surprised I even remembered that much of it all. lol

Good story. Thanks for sharing!

Neo Geo AES is on my list of systems and games to collect, mostly the shoot-'em ups.  My significant other talked me out of buying an AES recently so that I would focus on some of the systems I already have.  It was the right move for now, but I definitely want to get into it eventually.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dewisp02 said:

I love Neo Geo!! I currently have the MVS-2-13 (13" Goldie 2 slot cabaret), the MVS-2-19 (19" full size red 2 slot), and 2 AES consoles. I have mainly full kits for the MVS systems and only a handful of AES games. 

I am 1-2 games away to completing my MVS collection. I have 2 kits but that was just circumstancial, as my games are in shock boxes (even NG boxes are $!)

2 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

I am 1-2 games away to completing my MVS collection. I have 2 kits but that was just circumstancial, as my games are in shock boxes (even NG boxes are $!)

Nice! Just happened into a larger lot of MVS kits from an operator about 6 or so years ago. Got them for an absolute steal. Then was picking up kits on ebay for awhile before the prices soared. 

Which games you missing?

• Like 1

It's kind of sad really the MVS only really truly started to soar in the last 2 years.  I just barely missed the cut from getting baked and hit the ground running working out what I did get one way or another.  By the time I was fairly ready to call it quits cheapo (sub $30) stuff started to get really dumb going up 2-3x in value.  That's when I put the breaks on it, though I still would like to snap up Sengoku.

Actually just short 2 easy ones - Baseball Stars Pro and Puzzle de Pon! The latter I decided would be the last one to complete since I have tried to buy it twice now (2 bootlegs and 1 didn't work prior to the seller shipping).

Yeah, MVS remains the cheaper option.. but that doesn't mean it is cheap to buy.

I've got a couple shockboxes and a couple kit boxes only because the two are complete and yeah they truly are shipping crates and mostly just ugly.  I found it strange the 8Man one has a black and white printed art sticker with the anime logo on it with a reflective serial number sticker next to it as most just are a repeat of the bland sticker on the cartridge.

I've been considering selling off one of my nearly complete (shockbox vs real box) kits as the game I find tends to get a bit too infuriating for me that it's a put off, but the value is up there enough I have incentive to wait for the right need.

There is another style of box though too, no pad, literally just slightly thicker cardboard than video game cart boxes with some color art on it and I don't recall the name of it but my Ghost Pilots came in it.  I don't keep pics of anything I have on cart for it, used to when I was more actively getting things so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a family picture again.  This is a paste of a list I keep to give an idea.  I also have the 161-in-1 with its bezel art sticker, also 4 mini marquees to games I don't have (crossed swords jp, fatal fury, samurai shodown, and sengoku.)

- Andro Dunos (US) (Shockbox)
- Baseball Stars 2 (US)
- Blazing Star (US) (Complete Kit, minus box)
- Blue's Journey (US)
- Burning Fight (US)
- Bust-A-Move (US) 
(Complete ENG+SPN Kit, minus box)
- Bust-A-Move Again (US)
- Captain Tomaday (US)

- Cyber-Lip (US) (Mini Marquee)
- Eightman (8Man) (US) (Complete Kit)
- Garou: Mark of the Wolves (US) (Shockbox)
- Ghost Pilots (US)

- League Bowling (US)
- Magician Lord (US) (Mini Marquee)
- Metal Slug (US)
- Metal Slug 2 (US)
- Mutation Nation (US) (Mini Marquee)
- NAM-1975 (US) (Mini Marquee)
- Neo Turf Masters (US) (Complete Kit)
- Ninja Combat (US)
(Mini Marquee)
- Samurai Shodown III (US) (Mini Marquee)
- Shock Troopers
(US) (Mini Marquee)
- Sonic Wings 2 (JP)
- Sonic Wings 3 (JP)
- Spin Master (US)
- Strikers 1945 Plus (US)

- Super Dodge Ball (US) (Complete Kit, minus box, Shockbox)
- The Last Blade (JP)
- Top Hunter
(US) (Complete Kit, minus box)
- World Heroes (US) (Mini Marquee)

I do love some Neo Geo action! Always wanted to start collecting some AES carts but always seemed out of reach for some reason. I did scoop up a Neo Geo CD with a couple games from an NA member a few years ago. Bought a couple extra cool games to go with it. I know the Neo Geo CD isn't very well regarded but i do enjoy the few games i have for it. Ninja Commando is probably my favorite! 

20180417_150643.jpg

• Like 2