IGNORED

Jake Paul / Logan Paul

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

The world's biggest douchebag continues his professional boxing career tonight.

First career fight?  KO of another Youtuber.

Second career fight? KO of a retired basketball player.

This fight? A former Olympic wrestler and retired MMA grappler who's never boxed, and had a recent hip replacement.

God willing Paul gets embarrassed, but I don't see it happening

jake-paul-weighin.jpg

paul_askren_still.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000643895803-e1616841428305.jpg

5 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Its like kanye. Anything for exposure. Gets people talking about him, good or bad?

This.  I had no idea this was going on till I was on twitter and saw people talking about how much of a trainwreck it is.  But the dummies pay for it to shit on it.  Whos the real idiot there?  I still can never see the appeal of this cash in of pop culture cringe.

People love making stupid people rich.

Edited by guitarzombie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CMR said:

He'll screw up eventually, get the big head, and step into the ring with a real fighter and get the crap knocked out of him.

Unlikely unless it's for a massive payday like his brother with Floyd.

The problem is that Jake isn't terrible.  He's a decent club boxer and low-level pro.  He has no real adult responsibilities, unlimited financial resources, and can train with top pros all day long.  Coupled with a reasonably high athletic ceiling and he's going to keep winning if he chooses the right opponents.

He'll continue to cherry pick the right fight, each slightly more "credible" than the next (youtuber, pro athlete, pro fighter in Askren) until he creeps his way to a massive circus fight where he has potential to lose.

I think the biggest mistake he could make is taking a relatively unknown up and comer like Tommy Fury (even with the short amateur career and minimal pro opposition) this early.  If he fights someone like Woodley and gets slept, at least he can say that Tyron is a monster with serious accolades.  

I hate the brothers and the celebrity boxing circuit as a whole, but they're excellent at exploiting idiots to pay for their events. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MrMark0673 said:

Unlikely unless it's for a massive payday like his brother with Floyd.

The problem is that Jake isn't terrible.  He's a decent club boxer and low-level pro.  He has no real adult responsibilities, unlimited financial resources, and can train with top pros all day long.  Coupled with a reasonably high athletic ceiling and he's going to keep winning if he chooses the right opponents.

He'll continue to cherry pick the right fight, each slightly more "credible" than the next (youtuber, pro athlete, pro fighter in Askren) until he creeps his way to a massive circus fight where he has potential to lose.

I think the biggest mistake he could make is taking a relatively unknown up and comer like Tommy Fury (even with the short amateur career and minimal pro opposition) this early.  If he fights someone like Woodley and gets slept, at least he can say that Tyron is a monster with serious accolades.  

I hate the brothers and the celebrity boxing circuit as a whole, but they're excellent at exploiting idiots to pay for their events. 

On one hand, I agree with you that they are good at exploitation and marketing.  On the other hand, I have a hard time thinking of these guys as being smart enough to strategize this deeply.  Then again, if their goal is to just make themselves look good, then they don't have to strategize that much or take on too much risk.

I've known people who always seemed to come out on top no matter how much of a screw head they were.  I kind of get that feeling from the Paul brothers.  I'll remain hopeful for my previous statement, though.

Edited by CMR

He has the same strategy, but better, as teeny bopper music: kids love his content because it's targeted to them, and adults hate it because they see it for the trash it is. He's enhanced this formula by baiting in a % of the adults who are hoping to see him get his face smashed in.

I wouldn't exactly call it brilliant marketing, but it's competent enough. It also helps that his real personality is that of a douchebag, so he doesn't really have to spend time trying to perfect his brand or work on his image; his own existence is perfectly formulated to appeal to angsty edgy teenagers and piss their parents off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CMR said:

On one hand, I agree with you that they are good at exploitation and marketing.  On the other hand, I have a hard time thinking of these guys as being smart enough to strategize this deeply.  Then again, if their goal is to just make themselves look good, then they don't have to strategize that much or take on too much risk.

I've known people who always seemed to come out on top no matter how much of a screw head they were.  I kind of get that feeling from the Paul brothers.  I'll remain hopeful for my previous statement, though.

There's no way they're strategizing these stunts alone. Somewhere along the line they got a management team that does most of the grunt work to line up patsies to fight or whatever. And since the Paul brothers have zero shame and no real dignity, anything that keeps them in the news short of one of them killing someone is good publicity. I mean, the suicide forest video didn't really do anything to them in the long run.

And it's working. The existence of this thread is proof of that.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Well that’s just patently untrue.  I’m broke AF.

That’s because the only people that hate you are the people that already know you. When you can get the whole world to hate you without knowing you, then you will be rich.That’s because the only people that hate you are the people that already know you. When you can get the whole world to hate you without knowing you, then you will be rich.

• Like 2