IGNORED

TurboGrafx LOVE (and all NEC love in general)

I would often point to these games when people said "oh the TurboGrafx is 8 bit, it only has an 8 bit CPU".

SF = Turbo had arguably the definitive version of this game until Street Fighter 2 Turbo came to the SNES

Gradius 2 was pretty much arcade perfect.  Almost unimaginable for the time it was released.

Sapphire = One of the first games, maybe the first?, to use real 3-d graphics on a home system.

Ghouls N Ghosts = A great port even though the Genesis one does best it and it is technically not a TurboGrafx game but a SuperGrafx game.  Just had to add it here for the cover alone.

1941 Counter Attack = Another SuperGrafx game.  Good arcade port here.  Only way to play on a home system until the Sega Saturn Japan release of one of those Capcom compilations.

Strider = Ok this one was a crappy port with a lot of history behind it.  Was originally planed for the SuperGrafx but ported over to the PC Engine CD instead.  It, like Sapphire, requires the additional ram of the Arcade System card.

IMG_6448.jpg

Edited by tbone3969
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

I would often point to these games when people said "oh the TurboGrafx is 8 bit, it only has an 8 bit CPU".

What people tend to forget is that whether a system "is 8-bit" barely means anything, and if you aren't programming for it, it means even less. It has nothing to do with anything in terms of how it presents the games, and it definitely has no effect on the graphics hardware.
There is no such thing as "8 bit graphics", unless you're talking about having a 256 color palette for each pixel, which none of these platforms came close to 😄 

I bought this long ago before when it was cheap as I am a huge Castlevania fan. Always intended to buy a CIB Duo RX so I could play it, but $150 seemed like too much at the time.. so I just played it on Magic Engine.

Now that I think about, I first started collecting as a Castlevania-only collector in the mid 2000’s, before I actually starting video game collecting for real in 2015

image.thumb.jpg.3c78d0da075d698e19f7b61e4ddf0cd6.jpgimage.jpg.e34bf38d21d344bfe5ab59cfb1ac3962.jpg

Edited by phart010
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Air Gio said:

Turbografx 16 is a 16 bit Console . It Was Suspose to beat Snes ,Genesis 

"8 bit console" or "16 bit console" is a buzz word that really doesn't mean anything, but even then I'm not sure by what metric you'd even say it's 16 bit. The CPU is very similar to the one in the NES, with only 8-bit registers and data bus.

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

You can debate the bit classification all day long, but the TG16 definitely competed against the Genesis more so than the NES and fits better into the 4th generation of video games as opposed to the 3rd generation.

I wouldn't disagree with any of this. It really doesn't matter if its 8 bit or 16 bit unless you're doing the programming.