IGNORED

TurboGrafx LOVE (and all NEC love in general)

Look I'm going to fall into the camp of it being more or less a 16bit system, it deserves the branding despite enough of that CPU being 8bit.  The rest just wasn't, it was better.  And WOW I've never seen of or knew that fact card ever existed, that's a keeper, shame it's not bigger/cleaner.

It does lay it out pretty well against the Genesis/MD too.  Yes CPU isn't as big bit wise, bfd, and it can ever so slightly do less sprites, yet it can do larger ones, kind of brings balance in my mind at least.  But look at all the other variables there with audio, color, etc.  Now think on this, the NEC system was developed not giving a damn about Sega, but about competing against the Famicom as it's target AND that it came out (1987) a year before (exactly to the month and a day apart) the MegaDrive (1988) did too.  They showed up Sega hard when they weren't even in the crosshairs, and ultimately the system embarrassed both Nintendo and Sega in the home land.  It topped the Famicom in sales, crushed Sega into a piddly laughable third spot there too though SMB3 coming out there domestically didn't do Sega favors either.

NEC created a fantastic machine that went on to show just because it wasn't 16bit across the board, you wouldn't know it, given what they pulled off.  They put Sega in their place pretty well there, sadly they let buffoons ruin the US launch and any form of recovery as it could have happened here too as Sega stumbled for awhile.

I don't have much time for it anymore, but I do cling to what I kept because it's that solid, can't say that for the Genesis as the mini is it. 😄

Oh and nice job there using Magic Engine, only emulator I ever paid for, still have my active key for it since I don't have an optical device anymore so it works for me when I want to do Dracula X, Ys 1+2, and Gradius II which I held onto.  Bonus (big one) it loads the games so much smoother/faster than that old like half of single speed drive NEC used.

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

went on to show just because it wasn't 16bit across the board, you wouldn't know it, given what they pulled off

I'll say it just once more, just hoping that it'll stick with someone somewhere 😅

A console being "8-bit" or "16-bit" is entirely a marketing buzzword and has absolutely no impact on the type, fidelity, or quality of the games it will be able to run.

I know it's kind of the same point you're getting to as well, but I really want to hammer down the fact here, that the PC Engine isn't able to do impressive things "despite" being 8-bit - the things you see on screen simply has absolutely no relation that arbitrary count. You could put an 8-bit CPU in the SNES and get exactly the same graphics, or you could put a 64-bit CPU in an NES, and it wouldn't get you any more sprites on screen.

And before anyone comes in to tell me that the graphics chip is "16-bit", whatever that means - while that may actually play a piece in the puzzle regarding its graphical abilities, it's really not the stat you want to look at. It's like saying my car is faster because it has larger wheels.

In many ways, the PC Engine is actually like an NES with a much more sensible hardware design.

Edited by Sumez

As a kid, I was literally the only person I knew that had a TG16 (mid-90s). I had a pretty sweet collection, including an absolutely mint TurboExpress CIB that I bought new via some random mail-order company. Unfortunately, I sold it all about 15 years ago for a few hundred dollars. Of all the stuff I’ve sold off over the years, that has been my biggest regret.

I recently started collecting again, and I’m bummed to see how the prices of hardware and games have skyrocketed. I’ve dropped waaaaaaay too much cash trying to replace my childhood collection over the past couple of months. Fortunately, I’ve managed to find some decent deals here and there, but it’s rough trying to find anything that’s not ridiculously overpriced.

I’m trying to grab most of what I want now, as I have a feeling that the release of the Analogue Pocket and Duo will create a significant uptick in interest (and prices) for TG16/PCE stuff. Hopefully I’m overestimating the impact of those products, but prices are bad enough as it is, so I’m trying to fast-track my collection to safe. 

Edited by pacowles