IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Blue Marlin!

BeaIank

12 minutes ago, dvertov said:

Has anybody figured out how to keep the hook from coming out? I keep losing sharks that way but I'm not sure what to do about it.

As far as I can tell, you run the risk of pulling the hook out the more you lean back in the chair. Which makes things harder because that really is the best method to exhaust the fish.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, dvertov said:

Has anybody figured out how to keep the hook from coming out? I keep losing sharks that way but I'm not sure what to do about it.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/587147-the-blue-marlin/faqs/70997  I tried to wing it at the game with no instructions and quickly learned I need to figure out what the hell is going on.  The website was pretty damn good about explaining the mechanics of the game and some helpful tips and some things to just ignore.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeevan said:

i must have, u still aint got @FireHazard51 noob luck yet 😉 

ya, u can't catch a whale anyways 😉  lol  ❤️ 

@NESfiend where are u all getting ur weight screen at, kuz i went to weigh in and didnt get what u all got.........wtf did i do wrong..........it said my highest was like 300........when i caught a shark over 500........

I can verify that the whales cannot be caught. I had been told as much, but wanted to be sure years back when I was in college. Gave it an hour plus over several beers trolling one of those bastards. Turns out, yeah, you cant catch em. 

Social Team · Posted
14 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I did a bit of digging through the rom, the max size for a marlin is 1007. The max size for a shark is 1207. So FH got a really good catch that will be hard to beat. The chance of getting a 1200+ shark under the best conditions are 289/65536 = 0.441%. The chance of getting a 1207 shark 60/65536 = 0.092%. Unfortunately, I got my best luck and hooked a 1205 shark when I was messing around with the code (and therefore illegal).

You hooked a 1205, but did you catch it?  I swear some hooked fish are just impossible to actually catch unless I'm missing something.  The line strength and hook set don't seem to get better with time.  Those potentials don't change with experience/leveling up in the game.

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

it should be biggest marlin! i was born and raised in florida i know mother ocean since i was 3' tall...

Points or no points, Ill compete with ya for biggest marlin. I got 958 lbs up there now. Top it and I will try to vest you between catching sharks. 

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

You hooked a 1205, but did you catch it?  I swear some hooked fish are just impossible to actually catch unless I'm missing something.  The line strength and hook set don't seem to get better with time.  Those potentials don't change with experience/leveling up in the game.

He did catch it by the sounds, but he was looking at the code so he didn't count it.  He was messing with the emulator and rom to see what all the possibilities were.  Deaf does that a lot 🤣  Figures out the best way to do stuff by looking at the workings of the game.

4 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

He did catch it by the sounds, but he was looking at the code so he didn't count it.  He was messing with the emulator and rom to see what all the possibilities were.  Deaf does that a lot 🤣  Figures out the best way to do stuff by looking at the workings of the game.

Glad you mentioned that because Id been meaning to thank @0xDEAFC0DE for doing that. I have been curious if it was possible to catch a 1000 lb marlin. I dont recall ever doing that or seeing it. Usually you move on once you get a 900+ because thats enough to win any tourney. But now that I know there are 1000 lb marlin, I want to see one of those bitches on the scale. Get after it @docile tapeworm

• Haha 2

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, NESfiend said:

Glad you mentioned that because Id been meaning to thank @0xDEAFC0DE for doing that. I have been curious if it was possible to catch a 1000 lb marlin. I dont recall ever doing that or seeing it. Usually you move on once you get a 900+ because thats enough to win any tourney. But now that I know there are 1000 lb marlin, I want to see one of those bitches on the scale. Get after it @docile tapeworm

Your White Whale Marlin......

• Haha 1

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/587147-the-blue-marlin/faqs/70997  I tried to wing it at the game with no instructions and quickly learned I need to figure out what the hell is going on.  The website was pretty damn good about explaining the mechanics of the game and some helpful tips and some things to just ignore.

Thanks!  This is helpful.  Did anyone find a video explanation?  I am more of a visual learner, but I can probably struggle through reading 🤪  

15 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I did a bit of digging through the rom, the max size for a marlin is 1007. The max size for a shark is 1207. So FH got a really good catch that will be hard to beat. The chance of getting a 1200+ shark under the best conditions are 289/65536 = 0.441%. The chance of getting a 1207 shark 60/65536 = 0.092%. Unfortunately, I got my best luck and hooked a 1205 shark when I was messing around with the code (and therefore illegal).

🙂 why must you ruin d-pad, select, start, a and b buttons?....

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
32 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

the guy broke the game by sourcing the code....who does that?!! oh i remember another who would play that way...

@BeaIank

The tools for reverse engineering the code and figure stuff out are out there for anyone to use!
They're so simple to use and figure out that even a toddler can look at that yummy assembly code and understand the underlining mechanics of the game.

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
38 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

The tools for reverse engineering the code and figure stuff out are out there for anyone to use!
They're so simple to use and figure out that even a toddler can look at that yummy assembly code and understand the underlining mechanics of the game.

@Murray @docile tapeworm she just called us more stupider than a toddler 😏

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Murray said:

Yeah, can we get a rule change here?

I like that people go into the code for several reasons. I wouldnt ever be able to do it and you learn cool things like that there are 1000 lb marlin out there. 

More importantly though, its a tremendous talking point when I discuss my weekly ass kicking in the contests with people who aren't familiar with these events. Later this week, Ill be drinking a beer somewhere saying "These sonsa bitches went into the game code and found a bunch a 1000 lb marlin. Its fucking inhuman!"

Edited by NESfiend
  • Haha 3