IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Blue Marlin!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to another round of our AMAZING VGS NES Weekly Contest!

This week, we will put our contestants through another series of hardsh... they are going to effing fish this week? FISHING? PRODUCTION... WHAT THE HELL is this?

Anyway... seems that we are indeed doing this... So, prepare for a week of exciting... fishing.

03_Blue_Marlin_Sage.png.3c9376cda3f858ed

Here are the rules for this whole pick a fish out of the water week thing:

• Catch fishes
  • The player who catches the heaviest one wins
  • Participation: Catch at least two fishes
  • Genre: Sports

May the fishiest of all fishers win this week.

The contest ends Sunday, 04/04/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
1st NESfiend 1,207
2nd 0xDEAFC0DE 1,206
3rd dvertov 1,201
3rd FireHazard51 1,201
5th bertsampson 1,018
6th Deadeye 999
7th Daniel_Doyce 993
8th 8bitdontquit 990
9th Ausden 938
10th Dr. Morbis 878
11th mbd39 705
12th Jeevan 603
13th Krunch 526
14th docile tapeworm 500
15th Murray 430
16th PII 400

• The topic was pinned
41 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

A testament to the mods hearing the voice of the people. This week is going to be epic. Even got the @Daniel_Doyce suggested rules where fattest fish gets the trophy! Ill be on the water this afternoon

I believe the correct criterion was the "fattest ass fish," but this will do. I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks mods, I've got a bite on my rod!

• Haha 1

image.png.4a4b93c30228e900e1cca268cc569e4a.png

Finally caught a 1200+ shark. And it happened to be one short of the max. I think I might be done with this game with survivor around the corner. I don't really feel like going for the 1 out of 1000 shot to catch a 1207 shark.

Only 15 more lbs until the max.

@BeaIank, sharks count, right?

Well this is a fun game although it's a bit easy. I feel like I got extremely lucky with this one. It was around the fifth marlin I caught. I've not even finished Day 1 yet. Does anyone know the theoretical max?

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
  • Like 1

I am just wondering about the parameters of participation here: so do you have to catch your 2 fish in one in-game day, or does it carry over, and for how many days?  And you must beat the A.I.'s fish weight, right?  (Otherwise, it displays theirs as the winner at the end of a day).

10 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

image.png.5c87dd53c98e1a4612c71e9a92718fdd.png

@BeaIank, sharks count, right?

Well this is a fun game although it's a bit easy. I feel like I got extremely lucky with this one. It was around the fifth marlin I caught. I've not even finished Day 1 yet. Does anyone know the theoretical max?

I actually was wondering last night if this would become a shark catching contest. Can you weigh the white shark to the exact lb on the scale the way you can with marlin? For marlin, that screen with black and white lettering is an approximation. 

I assumed it would be largest fish that qualifies per the tournament so exact weights could be determined. 

Just now, NESfiend said:

I actually was wondering last night if this would become a shark catching contest. Can you weigh the white shark to the exact lb on the scale the way you can with marlin? For marlin, that screen with black and white lettering is an approximation. 

I assumed it would be largest fish that qualifies per the tournament so exact weights could be determined. 

You can weigh it to an exact lb (which is why I score myself as 980 even though there's an unweighed ~1000 lb shark below), but it doesn't show on the scale like the marlin. Instead it just updates on that screen when you click it just like all the other non-marlin fish.

Just now, NESfiend said:

Approximate weight is shown, then when you go to the weigh in, you select the fish and it gives you the weight.  My shark weighed 1050lbs before selecting it on the weigh in screen.

Events Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Krunch said:

I am just wondering about the parameters of participation here: so do you have to catch your 2 fish in one in-game day, or does it carry over, and for how many days?  And you must beat the A.I.'s fish weight, right?  (Otherwise, it displays theirs as the winner at the end of a day).

As long as you catch two fishes, it is all good.
I just wanted to be mean, evil and complicate things for a fishing game!

6 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

As long as you catch two fishes, it is all good.
I just wanted to be mean, evil and complicate things for a fishing game!

Okay cool cool yeah don’t get me wrong I think it’s a really good rule that you need an extra fish on top of your prize catch, it’s not that much harder but it still ups the tension.  I suppose if one needed a tiebreaker for the rare corner-case tie it could also be number of fishes.  

45 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Shark are fish, but shouldn't it be the biggest marlin?

I mean the game is Blue Marlin!

There are actually a lot of reasons I would have assumed it had to be a qualifying fish. With the bigger marlin, you frequently get the challeneges during battle where the fish walks, goes under boat, etc. and you have to make correct decisions. I dont think that happens with sharks, Dorado, etc. 

Its also a lot harder to find 900 lb+ marlin because they are the gems you are supposed to be after. I haven't even tried to find big sharks, but they are apparently pretty common

Edit: and if you are wondering how I was able to find a 900 lb marlin so quick, it wasnt quick. I figured out how to get strength stats maxed out day 1. Played day 2 three times and day 3 twice and Ive only reeled in two marlin over 900 lbs. 

Final edit: filling the live well isng hard to accomplish even if you exclusively hunt marlin. Once you get mechanics down, everything under 600 lbs can be reeled in pretty easily 

Yet another final edit: a lot of the skill in this game is making marlin appear/trolling techniques. The nonqualifying fish are in plain sight 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 2