IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Blue Marlin!

BeaIank

32 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

There are actually a lot of reasons I would have assumed it had to be a qualifying fish. With the bigger marlin, you frequently get the challeneges during battle where the fish walks, goes under boat, etc. and you have to make correct decisions. I dont think that happens with sharks, Dorado, etc. 

Its also a lot harder to find 900 lb+ marlin because they are the gems you are supposed to be after. I haven't even tried to find big sharks, but they are apparently pretty common

Edit: and if you are wondering how I was able to find a 900 lb marlin so quick, it wasnt quick. I figured out how to get strength stats maxed out day 1. Played day 2 three times and day 3 twice and Ive only reeled in two marlin over 900 lbs. 

Final edit: filling the live well isng hard to accomplish even if you exclusively hunt marlin. Once you get mechanics down, everything under 600 lbs can be reeled in pretty easily 

When you are at full stats and have the mechanics down, I find that 1000lb+ sharks are harder to reel in than 900lb marlin.

30 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I took the bait and fell for this contest hook, line and sinker. Here I was lured into competing, thinking I'd be the big fish in the little NES pond, and I've been schooled with my dinky 200 pounder!  @NESfiend and @0xDEAFC0DE are trolling me with those big boys!

What is your take on whether rules should include sharks? Seems like thats where this is headed and Ill get my jaws hat on if the mods confirm that. Sad people wont get to experience much of the game that way though. The thrill of catching a huge marlin after trolling and making them pop is where its at in my opinion

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

What is your take on whether rules should include sharks? Seems like thats where this is headed and Ill get my jaws hat on if the mods confirm that. Sad people wont get to experience much of the game that way though. The thrill of catching a huge marlin after trolling and making them pop is where its at in my opinion

That's up to the mods. Seems like something that should have been raised beforehand if people wanted it to be a marlin-only tournament. Maybe note it for next time? 🙂

45 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

That's up to the mods. Seems like something that should have been raised beforehand if people wanted it to be a marlin-only tournament. Maybe note it for next time? 🙂

Didnt occur to me at all, but no big deal. Ill fish for sharks and have been for an hour. @0xDEAFC0DE is right though.  These big sharks are the hardest battles, so maybe best for competition with this bunch anyway. I would love to know what the max size marlin is, but Ill jaws it up no problem 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Didnt occur to me at all, but no big deal. Ill fish for sharks and have been for an hour. @0xDEAFC0DE is right though.  These big sharks are the hardest battles, so probably best for competition with this bunch anyway. I would love to know what the max size marlin is, but Ill jaws it up no problem 

I did a bit of digging through the rom, the max size for a marlin is 1007. The max size for a shark is 1207. So FH got a really good catch that will be hard to beat. The chance of getting a 1200+ shark under the best conditions are 289/65536 = 0.441%. The chance of getting a 1207 shark 60/65536 = 0.092%. Unfortunately, I got my best luck and hooked a 1205 shark when I was messing around with the code (and therefore illegal).

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

Events Helper · Posted
26 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

1,082 lbs - Jaws

20210329_224810.jpg

You gonna let @FireHazard51 a new dude come in and wreck u?  come on dude, 80 more hours of fishing for u, maybe u will get there, at least i will respect you 😛 

6 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I did a bit of digging through the rom, the max size for a marlin is 1007. The max size for a shark is 1207. So FH got a really good catch that will be hard to beat. The chance of getting a 1200+ shark under the best conditions are 289/65536 = 0.441%. The chance of getting a 1207 shark 60/65536 = 0.092%. Unfortunately, I got my best luck and hooked a 1205 shark when I was messing around with the code (and therefore illegal).

🤔  Get to crackin' i expect you to put up a decent weight after sharing, usually it is the other way around 🤪

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2021 at 9:20 AM, NESfiend said:

I assumed it would be largest fish that qualifies per the tournament so exact weights could be determined. 

Yeah, I just spent a couple hours ignoring the garbage fish (after leveling up, of course) and just chasing Marlins, because I thought that only the prize fish count.  Can we get 100% clarification on this?  Because if I can just go after sharks from standard fish pools, I'll be "feeling a bite on my rod" like every few seconds and we can all just grind to see who gets that top heaviest shark in the source code.  Marlins take way more finesse to find and catch.

But anyway, this game is way more fun than I could have ever imagined it being, to the point that I'm going to be playing it more in the future after this contest.  Here's my heaviest Marlin from night 1, just to get on the board:  662 lbs

EDIT, I beat the game so I'm done hunting Marlin, my biggest catch being 878 lbs.  From here on out I'll chase Sharks for the purposes of this contest...

Blue Marlin 2.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
13 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I mean 1192 is nothing to sneeze at. Although maybe you posted this around the same time I edited.

i must have, u still aint got @FireHazard51 noob luck yet 😉 

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

Rules say largest fish, so unless you're fishing a whale, which is a mammal and not a fish, or an octopus, it shall count.

ya, u can't catch a whale anyways 😉  lol  ❤️ 

@NESfiend where are u all getting ur weight screen at, kuz i went to weigh in and didnt get what u all got.........wtf did i do wrong..........it said my highest was like 300........when i caught a shark over 500........

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

@NESfiend where are u all getting ur weight screen at, kuz i went to weigh in and didnt get what u all got.........wtf did i do wrong..........it said my highest was like 300........when i caught a shark over 500........

That weight screen only shows your best marlin. You'll notice that all the shark pictures show the screen were you select a fish to weigh. When you select a shark it will update with the actual weight (so no fancy weighing screen like you get for a marlin).

Events Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Because if I can just go after sharks from standard fish pools, I'll be "feeling a bite on my rod" like every few seconds and we can all just grind to see who gets that top heaviest shark in the source code.  Marlins take way more finesse to find and catch.

You raise a very good point, but we decided to go with the heaviest fish for this week. This said, in 10 years (kidding!) from now when we'll play this game again in the contest, we'll go with heaviest marlin for sure.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, guillavoie said:

You raise a very good point, but we decided to go with the heaviest fish for this week. This said, in 10 years (kidding!) from now when we'll play this game again in the contest, we'll go with heaviest marlin for sure.

i only kid with the eyeroll.......

1 hour ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

That weight screen only shows your best marlin. You'll notice that all the shark pictures show the screen were you select a fish to weigh. When you select a shark it will update with the actual weight (so no fancy weighing screen like you get for a marlin).

dont follow, but i am drunk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted

Labeled this under stupid nes game on imgur!!!!!!

603 LB

8AhJsS1.jpg

Not sure where u all are getting higher than 600 lbs.  That is literally the biggest one i caught and i played for several hours.

Bad RNG???????  maybe, but fuck that, im out on this one........

Give me my participation points @BeaIank cuz I'm over this fishing game...........

Edit:  Yes @NESfiend, @FireHazard51 can have his noob friggin' luck, im over it!!!!!

• Haha 1

Social Team · Posted
9 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Holy shit, I didn't realize how good of a catch I had.  I'm not even at full stats when I caught it.  I was supper aggressive with getting it to the boat and was on the verge of snapping my line.  Good to know that going after marlin are not going to win the game.  Those are more tricky to get to spawn and hook.  Time to spam hunt more great whites.  I tried like hell to catch the whales because I thought they where the great whites and thinking...

richard dreyfuss jaws GIF

• Haha 1