IGNORED

Survey Regarding the Potential of a New Video Game Grader in the Market

19 minutes ago, cromag27 said:

but no, for most of my stuff the target audience knows nothing about this forum. 

Also, this ties in with what I've been saying for a while now...

If there's money to be made here and now selling to the new crowd, that's all well and good, and I actually don't begrudge anyone making a buck of games.

But, long-term, once the money hype dies down and you need to find a buyer for a hundred thousand dollar graded videogame, if it's not US willing to buy it, you know the real passionate retro game fans, the dyed-in-the-wool, in-it-till-we-die folks, then who's it going to be?

You "investors" better hope that revolving door keeps on revolving, or at least when it does stop you've already secured your gains... Because the rest of us are gonna just keep on sitting here laughing at you, slapping each other on the ass and playing vidya.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, OptOut said:

What's your problem dude, seriously? This is a community of like-minded gamers and collectors who have been hanging out and sharing the love of our collective passion for years. We are in it for the games, for the mates, and for the laughs. Very few of us are in this for the money, you're just gonna have to accept that.

yeah. that’s why there are grading companies to begin with. that’s why there are specific sub forums for graded games and sears games. yeah. ok. “dude”. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Also, this ties in with what I've been saying for a while now...

If there's money to be made here and now selling to the new crowd, that's all well and good, and I actually don't begrudge anyone making a buck of games.

But, long-term, once the money hype dies down and you need to find a buyer for a hundred thousand dollar graded videogame, if it's not US willing to buy it, you know the real passionate retro game fans, the dyed-in-the-wool, in-it-till-we-die folks, then who's it going to be?

You "investors" better hope that revolving door keeps on revolving, or at least when it does stop you've already secured your gains... Because the rest of us are gonna just keep on sitting here laughing at you, slapping each other on the ass and playing vidya.

which is fine and part of the risk.  so what?  i don’t put people down for collecting cib or carts only. doesn’t effect me. so why do some of you insist on bullying others like myself who are into a different aspect of collecting?  just because it’s “ruining” things for you?  waaaahhhhhh!!!!  grow a pair and get control of your own feelings, and stop letting complete strangers dictate how you feel.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, VideoGameGradersLLC said:

Why wouldn't they?  Comics have?  Sports cards have?  Coins have? China has?  Dolls have?

Emergence of fractional investing has brought increased interest in many collectible markets and driven them up recently and the basics of supply seem to favor video game collecting.  

So, honest question - why do you disagree?  Thanks

They havent, a MAJORITY of cards/comics are worthless.  Only a few are worth a lot.  Most of the sports cards / comics are also legitimately rare because they're pieces of paper that have happened to have lasted over FIFTY years without being lost or damaged.  And its USUALLY from doctors/lawyers/actors driving the price up who are buying back their childhoods that always wanted that card or comic they couldn't have.  Now its been part of pop culture but it took decades.  Also it can be as a status symbol, "I have the first Super Man!" "I have a Honus Wagner".  Its only a 'smart' investment if you got them cheap either a LONG time ago or by accident. If you're getting into NES now because you think the prices are gonna go up higher, I think you're a fool.  Hell prices were going down right before COVID and now with that boom, its just gonna take a bit longer for it to go back down.

We're talking about media thats at best 30 years old.  There are STILL plenty of games around, aside from some notable exceptions.  You think anyone except people going for a full set care about Stadium Events?  No.  MAYBE Mario, but who cares about Samus, Kid Icarus, the average person doesn't know or care about it.  If SE wasn't considered part of the set, no one would care to own it and its price would sink. If you have 12k to spend on a game because you think its worth more?  I dunno, to me it seems like money isnt really a problem for you.

These things that are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  If I have an incredibly rare variant that people want, the price is very high.  But I have a rare variant of something no one cares about, its not worth anything.  Thinking of these things as investments is a short term goal at best.  A few games will still have value for the people that care about it, but most wont.  I say, in the long run, no one is gonna care and why should they? As time moves on less and less new people are gonna care about them or they're gonna get priced out.  New people is what is gonna keep the prices up, else you're just passing the same dollar to the same group of people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cromag27 said:

yeah. that’s why there are grading companies to begin with. that’s why there are specific sub forums for graded games and sears games. yeah. ok. “dude”. 

Yeah, there are, it's an open community comprised of thousands... I mean, we let YOU in didn't we! 😉

But look at the traffic on this site, look at where the activity is, you'll see where the majority of us are spending our precious free time, and it's NOT generally fussing about the next bubble hype...

Usually we're arguing about Chili, right @Jeevan?! 😄

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, cromag27 said:

which is fine and part of the risk.  so what?  i don’t put people down for collecting cib or carts only. doesn’t effect me. so why do some of you insist on bullying others like myself who are into a different aspect of collecting?  just because it’s “ruining” things for you?  waaaahhhhhh!!!!  grow a pair and get control of your own feelings, and stop letting complete strangers dictate how you feel.

I assure you, prices rising here in the west have next to zero impact on @OptOut. Dude collects Hello Kitty carts.

• Haha 4
  • Eyeroll 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Yeah, there are, it's an open community comprised of thousands... I mean, we let YOU in didn't we! 😉

But look at the traffic on this site, look at where the activity is, you'll see where the majority of us are spending our precious free time, and it's NOT generally fussing about the next bubble hype...

Usually we're arguing about Chili, right @Jeevan?! 😄

so true

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cromag27 said:

No one's bullying anyone, and I personally never complain about anyone ruining anything. It's two separate hobbies, clearly.

I will call out bullshit when I see it though... That's kind of my thing. That and sucking my own dick, but hey, that's a WHOLE other hobby! 🤣

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OptOut said:

No one's bullying anyone, and I personally never complain about anyone ruining anything. It's two separate hobbies, clearly.

I will call out bullshit when I see it though... That's kind of my thing. That and sucking my own dick, but hey, that's a WHOLE other hobby! 🤣

yes your behavior is bullying and harassing. you also only see things your way and cry when you’re proven wrong. but you do you. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Honestly not seeing the perks, donating money to receive discounts? Not very enticing at all imo.

This is probably a key point. 

Asking a person to jump ship, knowing the ship is currently filled with a lot of hidden gold, and then asking for some extra payments to get onto a new ship with unknown cargo...this doesn’t seem to be the right kind of way to entice. 

@OP, the above is a genuine feedback for you to consider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cromag27 said:

yes your behavior is bullying and harassing. you also only see things your way and cry when you’re proven wrong. but you do you. 

You have been going out of your way to call ME out, across the space of several threads now.

Also, I have never been proven wrong. FACT.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, VideoGameGradersLLC said:

That was an absolute must for this group now and then but the market is now much larger than just this group - which probably explains some of the animosity here, this hobby is no longer contained to this community, there are new people entering it everyday who know nothing about this group and will be buying and selling games ever day.  Is WATA still in this group, are they still participating at the same level or have they become a business making money?

That's the thing you and others like you "don't get" though, and all the black box talk is one prime example of it.

The vast majority of folks on these forums, even the vast majority of collectors *don't care* about these things, they aren't in it for sealed, etc. Only some might care, but as one member put it, it was to make money off guys that had more money than smarts.

Asking us for our opinion is like asking a heavy metal or rock guitarist about flamenco guitars. Yeah, at the end of the day, they are all guitars, and both groups have something in common (playing music, and an instrument), but similarly, these are very very different items with very different demographics. So you're doing your research on the wrong market .

• Like 2

Just now, cromag27 said:

right. due to your bullying behavior. you bring it on yourself. 

Nope. Never targeted an individual for harassment, never victimised or encouraged the victimisation of anyone.

I make bold statements. I embellish and perform. If you see something reflected in what I say that offends you or makes you feel uncomfortable, that is 100% your deal.

Friend.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, cromag27 said:

Yeah, so why again is this guy asking the vgs crowd for opinions, and not those boards? I'm still honestly confused.

Next, let's ask the NES Dev boards for their thoughts on the matter as well.

Gathering information about your target market is important when planning a business, but I feel as though this guy is asking vegetarians what cut of beef they prefer. It just seems silly.

For those of us only following this thread for the drama between @OptOut and @cromag27, what are you planning to do when the moderators make them stop bullying each other?

As far as OP is concerned, I think the feedback you should take from this is: Your unique offerings (turnaround time, objectiveness, and special Zelda cases?) either aren't that unique, aren't things that people are actually looking for, or aren't something you can promise from the get-go.

I think WATA would love to promise that the turnaround times will be quick, but that means they either have to turn away items because too many people are submitting or have to hire more graders, which assumes they can even find qualified people to hire without dropping their standards. What's your plan if you get 100,000 submissions in the first week, but you promised a 1 week turnaround? Decline people's items, which will piss them off and lose you business, drop your standards? Apologize to people for not realizing this was a problem? It's easy to say you're going to have short turnarounds when you have 0 items in queue.

Objectiveness is a goal of all these grading companies and also an impossible goal. I like the idea of giving people the grading sheets for their games, but good luck once people get their hands on those and start comparing their sheets amongst other items they got graded from you or other people got graded from you. As someone else in this thread said, it's easy to say "crushed bottom right corner is -1 point" but there are levels of crushed-ness...So the grey areas are more prevalent than you think. That's just one example, multiply that by 10000x for manuals. If the manual has 70 pages is each creased page worth less points than a manual with 10 pages?

These are just examples to get the thought process going, and I'm sure (read: I hope) you've considered them, but my point is: it's not as simple as your website/pitch make it sound.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, cromag27 said:

You're in the same club as the op then, asking vegetarians how they like their steaks grilled.

On a forum where the vast majority are gamers or collectors, with investment only secondary at best, the vast majority of us literally couldn't care less about any of this nonsense, so why the need to try to shove left bros and hos, Mario lying on a mat, and black box mediocrities down our throats, when we simply don't care?

Even with rarity, I've got hundreds of games that make those look common.

If we were only talking about NWC, I could understand it a bit, but this stuff has little appeal to anyone outside of investors and investor collectors.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

You're in the same club as the op then, asking vegetarians how they like their steaks grilled.

On a forum where the vast majority are gamers or collectors, with investment only secondary at best, the vast majority of us literally couldn't care less about any of this nonsense, so why the need to try to shove left bros and hos, Mario lying on a mat, and black box mediocrities down our throats, when we simply don't care?

Even with rarity, I've got hundreds of games that make those look common.

If we were only talking about NWC, I could understand it a bit, but this stuff has little appeal to anyone outside of investors and investor collectors.

you’re free to do what you want. don’t play the victim card. 

and i stated earlier that i am both an investor and collector so i’m trying to see things from both sides.

Edited by cromag27

17 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Nope. Never targeted an individual for harassment, never victimised or encouraged the victimisation of anyone.

I make bold statements. I embellish and perform. If you see something reflected in what I say that offends you or makes you feel uncomfortable, that is 100% your deal.

Friend.

i never said i’m uncomfortable. but you can’t act like a snowflake when someone calls you out for your behavior. that’s worse than the behavior itself. you just admitted you act the way you do on purpose. ok, fair enough. don’t cry when there are consequences. 

5 minutes ago, cromag27 said:

you’re free to do what you want. don’t play the victim card. 

I'm not playing the victim card , I'm just stating the obvious here. He's asking the wrong demographics for feedback. We both know that, do you dare to disagree? If so please tell me why I'm wrong