IGNORED

What movie based game did you fall in love with long before ever seeing the movie it was based on?

SilverspoonGaming

Sweet Home is really popular and I don't think many people care about it in the movie sense, but I sure wouldn't say I'm completely in love with it because the random battles never end long after they become pointless. Chronicles of Riddick is the first movie game I remember people liking more than the movie, or in spite of the fact that it's a movie game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Sweet Home is really popular and I don't think many people care about it in the movie sense, but I sure wouldn't say I'm completely in love with it because the random battles never end long after they become pointless. Chronicles of Riddick is the first movie game I remember people liking more than the movie, or in spite of the fact that it's a movie game.

Wasn't Chronicles of Riddick first a comic?

15 hours ago, RH said:

GoldenEye.  I'd be surprised if this wasn't true for many others.

11 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

Golden Eye was the first game I can thing of. 

4 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

That would probably be one for me, but I didnt jump on the Goldeneye train right away because I missed it.

GoldenEye was the first thing that i thought of as well. I probably had seen the movie, but the game came out a couple years later and i would have forgotten the movie. At any rate, the game occupied SO MUCH of my time, that now when i watch the movie i only think about the game. So not exactly what you were asking, but an anomaly of its own!

another answer that doesn't really answer your question, Top Gun. I don't know that i ever "fell in love" with the game, but i played it a ton as a kid. usually at friends' houses and we would take turns trying to land the damn plane. Didn't even know it was based on a movie until a few years later.

• Like 3

Alien Trilogy, as there's no way I had seen Alien 1-3 when I was 8-9 years old, but I had seen a lot of movies and even some gory ones that my older brother showed me (like Hellraiser), so having seen one Alien movie prior is in the realm of possibility but I think even that happened many years later. Very atmospheric FPS to boot and I won't ever forget the Facehugger effects.

• Like 1

Gotcha for NES (yeah, it was movie based, an obscure thriller from 1985 with Anthony "Goose" Edwards.)

My cousin actually rented it, as he had the Zapper. Didn't precisely love it, but it was pretty neat to play such a different Zapper game when you were used to Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman.

I've seen parts of the movie, but I can't remember if I ever saw it all the way through. But it was years after we played the game, like at least ten or more.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 4:13 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Oh, I remembered one: The Italian Job on PS1 by Rockstar, based on the old Michael Caine movie.

I still have yet to see it 

So there's at least one movie that I've seen and you haven't. I even saw it in the theater. As far as the question goes, I played Goldeneye before I saw the movie, so I'll go with that. I also like the Taito version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade for the NES, but I saw the movie before I played the game.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

So there's at least one movie that I've seen and you haven't. I even saw it in the theater. As far as the question goes, I played Goldeneye before I saw the movie, so I'll go with that. I also like the Taito version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade for the NES, but I saw the movie before I played the game.

You saw a movie from the 1960s in the theater?

• Haha 1

Some of these are actually TV shows, so it's a bit off-topic, but I'm a rebel like that.

Chip N' Dale (NES): Apparently this show aired on the Disney Channel and I didn't have cable as a kid, so I suspect I fell in love with the game first. I probably saw some episodes at daycare or at friends' houses later on, but the game definitely holds a lot more nostalgia for me than the show.

Duck Tales (NES): According to Wikipedia, this show aired in syndication, so I probably I watched it and played the game at the same time. That seems to fit with my memory since I have a lot of love for the show and game. Easily one of my all-time favorite NES games.

Top Gun (NES): I probably played the first level of this game about a hundred times and crash landed on the carrier on at least 90 of those attempts. To this day, I'm not sure that I've ever watched the whole movie.

Robin Hood (NES): I think this game is criminally underappreciated. The action RPG stuff is a lot of fun and there is a decent amount of story stuff taken directly from the movie. The biggest frustration is the horse riding. I've definitely seen the movie a few times and it's decent, but I really like the game.

Dick Tracy (NES) I never quite got the hang of this game, but I could usually put a couple bad guys behind bars before running out of lives. I think the action platformer parts are pretty fun even if the driving parts tend to be annoying. I eventually saw the movie, but the game is where it's at for me.

Bonus List - NES Games I Definitely Played Before Seeing the Movie but Thought They Sucked:

1. Cliffhanger
  2. Friday the 13th
  3. Jaws
  4. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
  5. Back to the Future
Edited by DoctorEncore

On 3/5/2021 at 12:58 PM, Abelardo said:

Blazing Lazers boxart.jpg

Blazing Lazers was based on a Japanese movie, it's called Gunhed, never watched it and most likely never will, the game is awesome, no need to watch a subpar fil to enjoy it better.

The movie is actually pretty good as long as you don't go into it with high expectations - and keep in mind when it was made.

• Like 1