IGNORED

Movie Debate #58: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

I voted 10.  I don't see how anyone on earth could voted it less than an 8.  The cool thing about this movie for my generation is that it was basically the template from which all adventure movies that came after it in the 80's were made.  It also had a huge influence on the representation of heroes/protagonists in pop culture and in NES games as well...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't have to convince anyone that this is pretty much the defacto swashbuckling adventure movie. Despite being derivative in its own right, it's no coincidence that it ended up as probably the most commonly referenced movie of its kind immediately after it was made.

I do like Last Crusade even better though.

9/10

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

10.  I think I have more than 10 10s by now but that's ok.  I watch a lot of movies.

Raiders is the best of the trilogy.  I think I'd go Raiders: 10, Temple: 8, and Crusade: 9.   Also, Raiders has possibly the best death scene of all cinema. 

melting.gif

And it has one of the funniest scenes in the whole series to boot:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Favorite here of mine definitely.  Hell my throw away email address on gmail I've had since beta is named after one in the series. 🙂  I wish I could add more, but Morbis there nailed it entirely.  That's how critically excellent and important this movie was to adventure films, story telling, and the rest.  People always talk about this and that setting a bar, this IS the bar.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

10.  I think I have more than 10 10s by now but that's ok.  I watch a lot of movies.

Raiders is the best of the trilogy.  I think I'd go Raiders: 10, Temple: 8, and Crusade: 9.   Also, Raiders has possibly the best death scene of all cinema. 

13 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

question is, is @Reed Rothchild gonna let all these 10's slide?

12 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I have like infinite 10's so he can stuff it.

What's that? Spend the next 12 months doing Steven Seagal, Andrew Dice Clay and Joe Piscopo movies?

If you say so, I guess 😒

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

What's that? Spend the next 12 months doing Steven Seagal, Andrew Dice Clay and Joe Piscopo movies?

If you say so, I guess 😒

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane  may very well be another 10.  Morris Day as Don Cleveland has one of the best lines ever delivered on screen, "You got to shave before you leave the house in a dress like that... and I don't mean your legs." :P