IGNORED

Collector's Edition vs. Standard Retail Release

Gulag Joe

I thumb my nose to "collector's editions" when it comes to sealed game collecting. I'd much rather have the first retail release. All the games coming out now, especially the big releases like Cyberpunk, have collector's edition versions that are marked up like $200 more because you get some junk in a fancy box with the game. Maybe there are some cool add ons with a few games, but I don't see the value in spending a hundred bucks more for godfall collector's edition on ps5.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't get 95% of it either.  If there's a new game in a series that very-beloved, (Zelda, Final Fantasy, Tekken, etc.) I kind of get having something "nice" with some bonus swag.

But every blockbuster title today has these collector boxes and, like you mention, some of these are pricey.  I'd hate to get on the hype-train for a new blockbuster AAA title, only to get it and learn that though the visuals are purdy, the game play suuuucks, or it has day one issues like CyberPunk.

Regardless, I'll take the straight retail anyway.  That stuff takes up real estate.  If I'm going to get a collectors edition, it has to have really, really cool swag inside, and I also don't want it to be a big 18" cube.

Currently, the only Collector's Edition I might  be interested in is Axiom Verge 2, which finally got a little bit of updates last week.

• Like 2

The new sealed market has already spoken a few times in this regard. A new Fallout 3 on Xbox 360 auction last year went for $500 while sealed lunchboxes were still sitting in stacks unsold for $200. People used to buy the most expensive CE, take out the Pip Boy, and resell the sealed lunchbox. The sealed lunchbox contains a sealed first print of the game. The bidders didn't know this, but they still weren't interested in the gaudier sealed thing, either because it's big or doesn't fit in a Wata case.

Since so many collector's editions were kept sealed from day 1, I bet tons of them are eventually opened just to grade the game inside since that's going to be the easier thing to sell or store. People have stacks of sealed Breath of the Wild collectors editions. Near mint copies of the Switch game are already selling for 2-3x what a sealed collector's edition sells for. How high does it need to go before you just start buying all the CEs and opening them?

I generally agree that collector's editions are trash though and their very nature means they'll almost never be scarce or collectible. Rare variants are way more interesting and harder to find.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 3

I tried to see if I'd enjoy the dummy prize with the collector's box twice, they sat on a shelf and looked ok for a bit but then just became a burden and a waste of space, worse the value despite the pedigree of the stuff went into the crapper fast too.  Never again.  (I had Uncharted 3 and the SF4 box with the Ryu figure.)  it was an utter waste of money.  If people want the stuff that's fine, clearly there are enough suckers who have to fanboy/girl it up enough to make companies keep it up as it isn't going away.  That's fine for them, not for me.  If there was some toy in one of those, wait a year or two when people get fed up too and buy it on the side for $5-10 or so, problem solved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

The new sealed market has already spoken a few times in this regard. A new Fallout 3 on Xbox 360 auction last year went for $500 while sealed lunchboxes were still sitting in stacks unsold for $200. People used to buy the most expensive CE, take out the Pip Boy, and resell the sealed lunchbox. The sealed lunchbox contains a sealed first print of the game. The bidders didn't know this, but they still weren't interested in the gaudier sealed thing, either because it's big or doesn't fit in a Wata case.

Since so many collector's editions were kept sealed from day 1, I bet tons of them are eventually opened just to grade the game inside since that's going to be the easier thing to sell or store. People have stacks of sealed Breath of the Wild collectors editions. Near mint copies of the Switch game are already selling for 2-3x what a sealed collector's edition sells for. How high does it need to go before you just start buying all the CEs and opening them?

I generally agree that collector's editions are trash though and their very nature means they'll almost never be scarce or collectible. Rare variants are way more interesting and harder to find.

It's funny you mention this.  Waaaaay back in the early 90s, I was a comic collector (who wasn't as a kid then) but I really got into the Death of Super Man story.  I called around all over town and I got one shop owner to hold the limited editioned, black bagged copy of the comic.  I saved up my money and my grand father drove me across town to pick it up.

He was a great guy but a bit skeptical.  He told me to open it to verify that the actual, granite comic was inside rather than it having been opened and resealed.  He was looking out for me, but Papa wasn't a collector.  I didn't want to, but I trusted him because he was a great grandpa.

Anyway, for years I hated that I ever opened it.  I pulled back the bag just enough to peak in, then I bagged and boarded the whole thing.  It is in mint condition and has no spine bending.

Anyway, I know grading has many contingent factors but it has no sun or wear damage and is practically factory fresh.  In the past 5 years, I've considered getting the comic graded because I assume it will get a high grade.  The funny thing is, I don't think you can get that comic graded UNLESS you open it and a high-graded comic does go for way more than a sealed bagged one (or it did the last time I checked.)  I might have a 9.6 or better comic, and it's worth more than a sealed copy.  All thanks to my grand father because otherwise, I'd never be tempted to open a sealed item like that, even if it is profitable.

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

I don't care about Collector's Editions very much, except for a few like Mega Man 11 Amiibo Edition, Bubble Bobble 4 Friends Collector's Edition, and Axiom Verge Multiverse Edition. I don't need a big box that has tons of paper and books with every modern game I purchase. The only reason why I bought the Amiibo Edition of Mega Man 11 is because I missed out on Mega Man 9 and 10 when they were originally released, and the only Bubble Bobble games I had before buying Bubble Bobble 4 Friends were the NES and Apple II versions of the original (which I still have). I felt like I needed something extra and to spend more and really support those franchises (I hadn't supported Bubble Bobble since the 90's, and Mega Man since Mega Man X Collection came out). Had I gotten Mega Man 9 and 10 and Bubble Bubble Plus! for Wii, I would've been fine with simply having standard physical releases of Mega Man 11 and Bubble Bobble 4 Friends.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

I personally don't really get Collector's Edititions unless its a game/franchise I am super into and want to spend the extra to show support and have something unique to show for it. I will say I regretted buying the Diablo III collectors edition box though - the stuff seemed cool at the time but the box is huge and takes up a lot of space, and its not really worth the space it takes in the closet. But I did recently accept a trade that included Valkyria Chronicles 4 collector edition for Switch, because I love the series and its relatively small overall. And since the only switch games I have are regular CIB ones it'll be nice to have something a little "showier" to have on the shelf next to them.

• Like 1

A lot depends on what it is the collectors edition - if it has enough stuff I want then I will pop the extra money.  But I won't buy something just because it is a collectors edition.

I have bought collectors editions because they are the only way to get a game  I want.

One of my favorite collectors editions is that for Thimbleweed  Park - it is so reminiscent of the old Infocom games with a bunch of feelies,  The Octopath Traveller CE is also pretty trick.

With things like the Fallout games I have just waited for whatever components that attracted my eye to hunt and peck  for them since those are generally not truly limited releases.  I did pop $100 for  a complete Rome Total War at a thrift store.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

I avoid them as well. Unless it's in a series (Zelda, Fire Emblem, etc.) I have been into for a long time I don't bother.  Editions where the only extra is the soundtrack and/or an art book are neat though.  I usually get those especially if it's an RPG with a good art style.  The 3DS had a bunch of these and most were at or barely above the price of the standard retail release at launch iirc.

I don't bother with 99% of the trinkets/junk that come in most Special Editions and especially the Limited Run Games ones.  I just don't get it but apparantly some people love that stuff.  

• Like 1

I used to care a bit years ago but not for a long time now. It seems like 90% of games get a collector's edition anyway, so they aren't special at all and many times there are plenty to go around (that then just sit unopened on someone's shelf). So I don't see the point at all at this point. Maybe if there was a game I really, really cared about above all others.

• Like 1

I have quite many CEs but then again I like posters, soundtracks, artbooks, statues and such. I won't buy every CE just for the sake of having them and I've been especially picky about about CEs for "mainstream" games. I totally understand people who don't care about the extra items or the space-hogging though. Most CEs go in the category of artificial scarcity in any case and many will not even hold their retail value - the CE market is definitely bloated and causing fatigue for many collectors that buy them out of compulsion.

• Like 1

I'm definitely at the point where I usually avoid collector's editions if at all possible. I just don't have the space for the huge boxes and they usually don't contain anything I care about. Artbooks, soundtracks, random figures, just not worth the money for me. I wish more companies did behind-the-scenes documentaries, as I really enjoy learning about the development process. I have made exceptions, I bought Ori and the Will of the Whips because I loved the first Ori so damn much, and I have the collector's editions of Spelunky and Narcosis because I got them at prices cheaper than buying the game by itself on eBay, or I buy it new and it's the only version offered (Play Asia exclusives).  

• Like 2

To be honest I only aimed for "collector's edition" anything if it guaranteed me a first print (Japan) or a "not for resale" (North America) copy of a game I was interested in. I have tried the other reasons but they never worked for me.

Plus it is another year and I am making no progress in starting my business plans. Which is the bigger reason why I am snubbing these as a whole. I'd rather use that money on the last three "Ultimate Hits" variants I need for my Dragon Quest collection than get a big box full of stuff I do not want or need. Even if it helps others understand me better. 😅

Either way, I have found that shopping at the right shops get me what I want at a fraction of what these costs. And in most cases those items I score tend to look better than what the publishers tend to offer. (At least IMHO.)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sg17 said:

I always thought it can be a cool experiment to release a collector's edition but put a rickroll video inside instead of the game, just to see how many years pass until someone notices.

LRG should absolutely do this with some girly anime Vita game. It would be like one of those EULAs that gives a prize to the person who actually reads it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1