IGNORED

Legend of Zelda appreciation thread

Tulpa

Zelda!  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which Legend of Zelda game is your favorite?

• The Legend of Zelda
    • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
    • A Link to the Past
    • Link's Awakening
    • Ocarina of Time
    • Majora's Mask
    • Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages
    • Four Swords
    • The Wind Waker
    • Four Swords Adventures
    • The Minish Cap
    • Twilight Princess
    • Phantom Hourglass
    • Spirit Tracks
    • Skyward Sword
    • A Link Between Worlds
    • Tri Force Heroes
    • Breath of the Wild

2 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Well, you guys better work on this ASAP cause it's a real embarrassment for yourselves! Also, make sure to check if the word 'Caution' on the back of your cartrid........

Yeah, I know. I hear there's something purple at the end if you have that special cartridge!

• 4 months later...

I've had Link's Awakening for Switch for a bit but was saving it for a rainy day, and considering all the things that have happen in the last week, a trip to Koholint Island was called for.

Very faithful recreation of the original gameplay game with some great visuals.  Sorry to all those are still angry they aren't getting that grimdark Zelda, where Link is a bazooka toting madman and blood is dripping from the walls, but the toy-like graphics work here.  Gameplay and layout of the world is solid seems mostly unchanged, besides having some of your skills assigned to the extra buttons, which is a huge help.  Goes to show how well crafted a 2-bit gameboy title from 25 years ago still is.

I had the original gameboy game back in the day but got stuck.  Ran out of bombs during a mini boss and couldn't find anymore, guess I should have ran back to town, but I was already deep in the dungeon.  I dunno.  Feels good to make it past a point that stumped you as a kid, though now I find myself paranoid.

"I only have 27 bombs, better run to the shop and buy 10 more, so I can be capped at 30 at all times"

Would you guys think it's weird or strange that because my wife happens to like hearts, aaaand the object of Zelda games is to max out your heart meter by finding all the heart containers/pieces, I actually like to tell her that I won/found her heart whenever I beat a boss or find/win a heart piece. 🙂  Do you guys think that's sweet or just weird?  Of course she often reminds me that I already won her heart 🙂  I'll be 15 years this June 17.

I am heartened to see all the love for AoL.  Most people I know trash that game and it is one of my favorites.  But my overall fav has to be the original LoZ.  I can beat the first quest and then immediately start it over again and play it through and never become bored or tired of it.  And when I really want to take a beating, I'll play the second quest.

However, I will say that I have never played a bad Zelda game.  Every single one is great in its own way!

On 3/15/2020 at 6:17 PM, Estil said:

Would you guys think it's weird or strange that because my wife happens to like hearts, aaaand the object of Zelda games is to max out your heart meter by finding all the heart containers/pieces, I actually like to tell her that I won/found her heart whenever I beat a boss or find/win a heart piece. 🙂  Do you guys think that's sweet or just weird?  Of course she often reminds me that I already won her heart 🙂  I'll be 15 years this June 17.

The object of Zelda games is to kill Ganon and save Hyrule and Zelda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Link said:

The object of Zelda games is to kill Ganon and save Hyrule and Zelda.

But you haven't really beaten the game unless you max out the life meter, get all the game's collectibles (such as the trophies in Wind Waker and Minish Cap), etc.  Also, starting with Link's Awakening when the chests in a dungeon are marked, you haven't really beaten the dungeon unless you've cleared out all its chests.

Just like how the real object of Mario games (well starting with Mario 64) is to collect all the Stars or Star Coins, whichever the case may be.

Edited by Estil

On 3/18/2020 at 12:32 PM, StanJr said:

I am heartened to see all the love for AoL.  Most people I know trash that game and it is one of my favorites.  But my overall fav has to be the original LoZ.  I can beat the first quest and then immediately start it over again and play it through and never become bored or tired of it.  And when I really want to take a beating, I'll play the second quest.

I thought Zelda 2 back in the day was loved just as much if not more.  I think it's just mostly AVGN's revisionist history.  Still even back in the day I thought it was really odd that the Turtles in the first TMNT couldn't swim all that well in that second level when I thought Donatello once said that water is their natural habitat?

A great series! I'd have to go with Zelda: A Link Between Worlds as it's one of the few games to really captivate me over the last 15-20 years. I simply couldn't put it down and had beaten it on hero mode 100% within a few days and then immediately beat it through again. It almost felt like I was playing Lttp for the first time again which is also one of my favourites. I really liked BotW too and it's likely my favourite 3D Zelda game. The only ones I've not completed/played are the two DS ones and Triforce Heroes.

A pic of Xmas 98...

zelda.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Estil said:

But you haven't really beaten the game unless you max out the life meter, get all the game's collectibles (such as the trophies in Wind Waker and Minish Cap), etc.  Also, starting with Link's Awakening when the chests in a dungeon are marked, you haven't really beaten the dungeon unless you've cleared out all its chests.

Just like how the real object of Mario games (well starting with Mario 64) is to collect all the Stars or Star Coins, whichever the case may be.

That 100% stuff is bullshit padding, sorry. I never liked the star coin business. There’s way more depth and challenge to something like a swordless run or a 3 heart run, or for the less hardcore, no death or 1cc.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I always go back and forth between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Phantom Hourglass is underrated for handheld installments

Also Minish Cap contender for best 2D

Heeeey, some love for Phantom Hourglass and Minish Cap! Both of those games, along with Spirit Tracks, are some of the most criminally underrated Zelda games IMO, especially Minish Cap. They're all so good, but nobody seems to pay them any mind. I would absolutely love a remake of Minish Cap in a similar style to the remake of Link's Awakening they did. Minish Cap, much like most of the other Zelda games, was a huge part of my childhood, and I would absolutely forgive Nintendo for any past sins if they announced an HD remake of Minish Cap.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
On 3/19/2020 at 11:35 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

A great series! I'd have to go with Zelda: A Link Between Worlds as it's one of the few games to really captivate me over the last 15-20 years. I simply couldn't put it down and had beaten it on hero mode 100% within a few days and then immediately beat it through again. It almost felt like I was playing Lttp for the first time again which is also one of my favourites. I really liked BotW too and it's likely my favourite 3D Zelda game. The only ones I've not completed/played are the two DS ones and Triforce Heroes.

A pic of Xmas 98...

zelda.jpg

Really glad to see some love for ALBW too. This may be a somewhat unpopular opinion, but as someone who's childhood contained a massive amount of ALTTP, I think ALBW surpassed ALTTP for me personally. I love that game so much, and it's easily my favorite 2D Zelda game for sure. I really need to play it, I haven't played it in... gosh, probably 4 years now. Time really flies.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Personally, my favorite game of all time is Breath of the Wild, and it is by extension my favorite Zelda game of all time. Honestly, I'm too tired and a tad stressed out to type out 80 massive paragraphs about why BoTW is a genre-defining experience like I normally would, but for now I'll just say that it combined all of my favorite aspects of other non-Zelda games I've played, I played it during a very dark period of my life and it actually helped me crawl out of that dark time, the visuals are outstanding and I love the art-style, the music is super unnapreciated and absolutely amazing, and... I don't know, it's like Elder Scrolls meets Zelda, which is something I've always dreamed of (and thought it was a pipedream) for as long as I can remember, and it actually happened. I still remember the exact moment I realized it was my favorite game of all time, right when the attack on my first Divine Beast, Vah Ruta, happens and that super epic music kicks in... Man. It was everything I could've possibly dreamed of it being and more, and I can say with confidence and complete sincerity that it actually made my life a bit better. There's a reason the Z from the BoTW logo is my profile pic on most websites and programs 😛

Events Helper · Posted

OK

@ZeldaFreak I must admit, i am not as big of a freak like u lol.  I haven't played all the games, so that is a biased opinion i stated earlier about LTTP being the best!!!!!!  In honor of you, i will try to play more zelda games and make my opinion less biased.  LOL  

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
Just now, Jeevan said:

OK

@ZeldaFreak I must admit, i am not as big of a freak like u lol.  I haven't played all the games, so that is a biased opinion i stated earlier about LTTP being the best!!!!!!  In honor of you, i will try to play more zelda games and make my opinion less biased.  LOL  

Totally! And it's no problem, I know not everyone is quite as big into Zelda as I am 😛 You should play some more Zelda games though, they're all great! For 2D games, I'd recommend giving A Link Between Worlds a try if you haven't played it, and I'd also highly recommend Minish Cap, that one's incredibly good but very underrated. Link's Awakening is also a safe bet, and Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons would also be great afterwards if you like that one.

For 3D, depending on the ones you have played, there's obviously the classics like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Also Breath of the Wild of course, I'd recommend that game to anyone.

Events Helper · Posted

Last one i played was the wii one i think, and not sure if i was able to complete it before my parents house was broken into and stolen from me.  Any case, I have played Link's awakening and just got a cib copy from @Megamanfan recently, OG that is, not new one.  I loved it kuz on long car rides i would play that as a kid.  All other handheld ones i haven't played.  

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

Last one i played was the wii one i think, and not sure if i was able to complete it before my parents house was broken into and stolen from me.  Any case, I have played Link's awakening and just got a cib copy from @Megamanfan recently, OG that is, not new one.  I loved it kuz on long car rides i would play that as a kid.  All other handheld ones i haven't played.  

Ah, that sucks that your parents' house was broken in to, I'm really sorry that happened.

The Wii one is definitely my least favorite of the Zelda games, but it's still amazing personally. A lot of people have problems with the control scheme and the motion controls in that one, but, uh... between you and me I think a lot of that is user error, just saying 😉

But yeah, if you haven't played any of the other handheld ones, A Link Between Worlds is a must-play, Minish Cap is a borderline must-play, and Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages are also borderline must-plays if you like Link's Awakening. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks I would personally also recommend, but a lot of people aren't big fans of those two for whatever reason, so those would be a bit riskier.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

I'll look them up eventually, when i get to it, right now N64 is my jam for the complete them all, so it might be awhile.  But, i am intrigued!!!!

Yeah, definitely consider playing them at some point, at least A Link Between Worlds if nothing else. If you love A Link to the Past, I can't see a world in which you wouldn't love that game as well 🙂

• Like 1