IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

12 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

The empire strikes back is done. Such an awesome game. Im a big fan of nes star wars and super star wars series, but this is the best old star wars game easily. 

Just watched somebody doing a TAS of this on youtube in like 12 minutes.  Luke looked like the guy from Metal Mech after about 12 pots of coffee.  Looks cool ...if I could just get used to those spastic controls...

6 minutes ago, PII said:

Just watched somebody doing a TAS of this on youtube in like 12 minutes.  Luke looked like the guy from Metal Mech after about 12 pots of coffee.  Looks cool ...if I could just get used to those spastic controls...

Use a complete playthrough video for each level at normal speed to beat it once. Youll find it to be crazy tedious and hard to execute even knowing exactly what to do. Then beat it again. After a couple run throughs knowing what to do, you will actually feel like a jedi jumping around and destroying imperial walkers and the like. Incredible. I want to play it again right now just to replay dagobah levels. So much fun once you get it. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2021 at 12:32 PM, BeaIank said:

Anyway, another Micronics gem done. Super Pitfall is down.
Gods, I LOVE this game.

Have you ever played Atlantis No Nazo for Famicom?  I feel like you'd get a kick out of that game.

18 hours ago, scaryice said:

The Untouchables is done. For 2021, I'm trying to beat one NES game per day for this thread. That's five so far, let's see how many days in a row I can do...

I started to do that, but wound up shifting my focus to trying to beat one NES game per day that I haven't beaten before.  Did Marble Madness yesterday and Operation Wolf today, but they were already beaten for this thread.  I still have some more to try, so I may not be done with this thread yet.

Home Alone 2: Lost In New York is done.  First time clear for me.  Definitely lacking, but interesting to me.  I can't imagine what someone who isn't a fan of the Bart Simpson Games and Swamp Thing would think of this game.  Maybe it's just because I don't remember how the movie ended but as far as I'm concerned, the final boss fight goes down as one of the weirdest in NES history.  

Edited by PII

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 244/677
4 hours ago, Red said:

I started to do that, but wound up shifting my focus to trying to beat one NES game per day that I haven't beaten before.  Did Marble Madness yesterday and Operation Wolf today, but they were already beaten for this thread.  I still have some more to try, so I may not be done with this thread yet.

It's kind of hard for me to find new games that can be easily beaten in an hour at this point. Generally in the early part of the year I'm replaying games until the easy stuff is out of the way. BTW, Untouchables and Demon Sword are quite easy for being worth 7 & 8 points.

Edited by scaryice

15 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I have wanted to get around to beating Rush N Attack for a long time and just haven't. I am sure its been a long time since you beat it for the first time, but how much work did it take to go the distance on it? Its not a long play through, but definitely gets really hard once you get 3 or 4 levels in. 

We played it during the weekly contest tournament back in 2015. I hadn't played it before then, but I think I cleared it the first time after 2 or 3 days. Stage 4 was the toughest for me. 

7 hours ago, scaryice said:

It's kind of hard for me to find new games that can be easily beaten in an hour at this point. Generally in the early part of the year I'm replaying games until the easy stuff is out of the way. BTW, Untouchables and Demon Sword are quite easy for being worth 7 & 8 points.

Yeah, I feel like I'm going to have that kind of problem.  Even though a play through of games like Double Dragon or Marble Madness shouldn't take very long, since I wasn't very familiar with either of them, it took a bunch of retries to beat them.  I'm not even sure what today's game will be for me.  The ones I'm more interested in giving a go right now I may not be able to beat in a short period of time.

I'm a bit surprised Demon Sword is worth so many points now.  I'm pretty sure it was one of the games I would play through in the early days of January when I joined in on the beating as many games as I can as fast as I can at the start of the year thing.

1 hour ago, Red said:

I'm a bit surprised Demon Sword is worth so many points now.  I'm pretty sure it was one of the games I would play through in the early days of January when I joined in on the beating as many games as I can as fast as I can at the start of the year thing.

It's slowly gone up after being unbeaten in 2017 & 2018. The point values are based on the last 5 years only, so your clears wouldn't affect it now.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 247/677
12 hours ago, Khromak said:

Deadly Towers completed. Fastest I've ever beaten it, it was a whirlwind of a run. I'm certainly no speedrunner, it still took a couple hours, but it was way faster than previous attempts, not too many deaths.

DeadlyTowers.jpg

Nice monitor, what model is that? I'm hoping to get mine hooked up to my analogue mini in the next month or so for some rgb action. I beat deadly towers for the thread last year. Good choice! 

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

Nice monitor, what model is that? I'm hoping to get mine hooked up to my analogue mini in the next month or so for some rgb action. I beat deadly towers for the thread last year. Good choice! 

This is a Sony PVM, PVM-20N6U. I've been really happy with it, looks beautiful. If you get this monitor you'll need BNC connectors, I use SCART -> BNC but component adapters work too.

21 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Race America beaten

image.png.4c518cf1298e66f578014b38be114ba2.pngimage.png.7806199959a804bb9dd1b576ce007af7.png

I suck at the drag race

This is an underrated game. Did you choose it for a first time clear or are you one of the few, proud race america fans? My brother and I play it 2 player and it is a friggin crack up. The racer in the lead gets such an advantage playing on a bigger screen, which inevitably leads to rage and shenanigans.  

Racers are going quick this year! I was looking forward to galaxy 5000 again and Pii took it out fast. Last year games like these werent cleared until at least March or April and people werent lining up to get to them by any means. 

Graphics Team · Posted

Bubble Bobble is finally clear with the "Happy End"!

@WashYourFace - thanks for the heads-up on that Start+Select trick too bring in Player 2 right before landing the final blow on the boss. All day I've been itching to get out of work and give that a go. And maybe I'll try the "second-quest" sometime now that I've got the password for it.

-CasualCart

992683716_BubbleBobbleHappyEndClear.jpg.d5283ec2c70e512f8c5c2ac072d7fdba.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Khromak said:

This is a Sony PVM, PVM-20N6U. I've been really happy with it, looks beautiful. If you get this monitor you'll need BNC connectors, I use SCART -> BNC but component adapters work too.

Very cool. I picked up an Olympus oev203 last year for cheap. It's basically a rebranded Sony pvm, I forget exactly which model it correlates to. I have to order the bnc connectors and then I should be good to go with nt mini. 

Edited by BriGuy82