IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

19 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Recently I couldn't play much due to moving and other issues. Is anybody still trying to go for some games or is this year's challenge lost? Or maybe some people haven't found their way here since the server troubles?

Sadly, it seems out of reach at this point. The server trouble didn't help, but it the odds were probably against us at that point regardless.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:08 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

IIRC, Tengen actually won that lawsuit as well.  Reverse engineering a console falls within fair use of your own property.  Although I may be mistaken on that, but for some reason that's what sticks in my brain.

They sort of won. Atari/Tengen's reverse engineering was fair use, but their method of obtaining the chip data (by lying to the US copyright office) killed off their attempt to use a copyright misuse defense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Games_Corp._v._Nintendo_of_America_Inc.#Fair_use_defense_of_reverse_engineering

For 2022, I think I'm going to include a list of 100 bonus games (replacing the current bonus points system). This will include a bunch of unlicensed games - all of the Tengen games for sure, and then more from other publishers. There will also be some PAL and Famicom games, maybe some FDS and homebrews since we haven't done any of those before... Rather than include everything, it's gonna be more of a "best of the rest" selection.

Ok, here's the list of 100 bonus games that I put together for next year's competition. It breaks down as follows:

Unlicensed 40
PAL 15
Famicom 15
FDS 10
Homebrew 10
Hack 5
Unreleased 5

Total 100

Each game will be worth 4 points, for a total of 400 bonus points, in order to be right in line with how many there usually are. I tried to pick mostly unlicensed games that weren't too difficult or terrible. I avoided most of the ones that were unbeaten previously, as well as the multicarts (annoying to keep track of) and stuff like sports games that fewer people want to play. Same for PAL. I haven't played any of the homebrews, but I just went by reputation and what stood out to me gameplay-wise.

Unlicensed Adventures of Captain Comic
Unlicensed After Burner
Unlicensed Alien Syndrome
Unlicensed Baby Boomer
Unlicensed Bible Adventures
Unlicensed Big Nose Freaks Out
Unlicensed Big Nose the Caveman
Unlicensed Castle of Deceit
Unlicensed Dizzy the Adventurer
Unlicensed Double Strike
Unlicensed Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy
Unlicensed Fantasy Zone
Unlicensed Fire Hawk
Unlicensed King Neptune's Adventure
Unlicensed King of Kings Early Years
Unlicensed Klax
Unlicensed Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu
Unlicensed Metal Fighter
Unlicensed Micro Machines
Unlicensed Mission Cobra
Unlicensed Ms. Pac-Man
Unlicensed Pac-Mania
Unlicensed Pesterminator
Unlicensed P'radikus Conflict
Unlicensed R.B.I. Baseball 2
Unlicensed R.B.I. Baseball 3
Unlicensed Raid 2020
Unlicensed Road Runner
Unlicensed Rolling Thunder
Unlicensed Shinobi
Unlicensed Shockwave
Unlicensed Silent Assault
Unlicensed Skull & Crossbones
Unlicensed Spiritual Warfare
Unlicensed Super Sprint
Unlicensed Tetris
Unlicensed Toobin'
Unlicensed Ultimate Stuntman
Unlicensed Vindicators
Unlicensed Wally Bear and the No! Gang
PAL Asterix
PAL Banana Prince
PAL Beauty and the Beast
PAL Devil World
PAL Hammerin' Harry
PAL Legend of Prince Valiant
PAL Mr. Gimmick
PAL New Ghostbusters II
PAL Over Horizon
PAL Parasol Stars
PAL Parodius Da
PAL Rod Land
PAL Smurfs
PAL Super Turrican
PAL Ufouria: The Saga
Famicom Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-kun
Famicom Cocoron
Famicom Crisis Force
Famicom Crossfire
Famicom Getsu Fuuma Den
Famicom Goonies
Famicom Gradius II
Famicom Grand Master
Famicom Hello Kitty World
Famicom Kyattou Ninden Teyandee
Famicom Metal Max
Famicom Moon Crystal
Famicom Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken
Famicom Spartan X2
Famicom Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti
FDS Ai Senshi Nicol
FDS Armana no Kiseki
FDS Dirty Pair
FDS Esper Dream
FDS Kiki Kaikai
FDS Meikyuu Jin Dababa
FDS Monty on the Run
FDS Nazo no Murasame-jou
FDS Otocky
FDS Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP)
Homebrew Battle Kid
Homebrew Battle Kid 2
Homebrew Blade Buster
Homebrew Bobl
Homebrew Driar
Homebrew Legends of Owlia
Homebrew Lizard
Homebrew Micro Mages
Homebrew Nebs 'n Debs
Homebrew Twin Dragons
Hack Castlevania: The Holy Relics
Hack Legend of Zelda: Outlands
Hack Mario Adventure
Hack Metroid: Rogue Dawn
Hack Rockman 4 Minus Infinity
Unreleased Bio Force Ape
Unreleased California Raisins
Unreleased Secret Ties
Unreleased Sunman
Unreleased Time Diver: Eon Man

Edited by scaryice

Dang, after blazing through 80% of the library by end of February, the thread still came up short. Oh well. More proof that it's a matter of clearing those 100-150 highly challenging/frustrating/tedious games that makes the difference.

I too do really like the pain points. Hate to see em go. Any little extra motivator to take out the harder games helps..... That said, It's cool to change it up and keep things fresh. I like the new bonus list with a nice mix of variety.

5 hours ago, PII said:

@scaryice Why would this list replace Pain Points?  You should keep Pain points in, It's a great motivator and a great way to learn about the most challenging games on the NES.

I'm not sure that it does much to motivate people after all. Those games with some combination of hard/tedious/bad/rare are still going to be the last ones no matter how many points they're worth. And like I said, I want to have around the same number of bonus points (or non-licensed points) as we normally do:

2014 477
2015 181.5
2016 664
2017 401.5
2018 601.5
2019 300
2020 427
2021 427

Actually, it looks like the average is closer to 450, so I'll make the list worth 4.5 each instead of 4.

So we get an arbitrary selection instead of proper inclusion of every North American release?  *sigh* Guess I'm still out.  Good luck next year though 🙂

EDIT: Actually, y'know what?  No, I'm gonna go in after all.  I'm gonna make my focus be the unlicensed list, and try and get the other 30ish games included in 2023.  Still, I don't like how it came down to an arbitrary selection instead of a community poll, but whatever.  Not sure about @Dr. Morbis though, but he probably feels the same as I do.  But yeah, I miss participating, and at least there's some unlicensed there.

Edited by the_wizard_666

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I don't like how it came down to an arbitrary selection instead of a community poll, but whatever.

Yeah, that's my issue, picking random "bonus" games when we don't even have all the US games included to begin with.  But I hope you have fun with it, Mike; it was your baby to begin with, too bad it didn't grow up the way you intended... 🙂

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, that's my issue, picking random "bonus" games when we don't even have all the US games included to begin with.  But I hope you have fun with it, Mike; it was your baby to begin with, too bad it didn't grow up the way you intended... 🙂

With all due respect, scary is the one who has been doing the heavy lifting for years , and it's a pretty thankless job.

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

With all due respect, scary is the one who has been doing the heavy lifting for years , and it's a pretty thankless job.

No doubt; I've said time and again that he does an absolutely amazing job and there is no one who could come even remotely close to replacing him at the level of dedication he puts in.

For me, it's a personal issue.  Totally me - I'm the weirdo.  It's like if someone invited me over to help him beat Battletoads and then shut off the game at the start of Clinger Winger because it's glitched on 2p so he doesn't count it, and I'm like, "no we gotta beat the whole game!"  And he's like, nope, my house, my rules: the game is glitched so we're calling it beaten at Clinger Winger.  Most people would be like, "whatever, I don't really care," but I'm the one guy who actually cares and would be pissed off about his decision.

So TLDR: I agree Scaryice is awesome and I'm the old curmudgeon who refuses to cooperate...  😛

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

There's nobody better to run this than @scaryice.  I (obviously) don't always agree with how he does it, but he's doing infinitely better than I did the first few years when I was running it.  I take too many hiatuses, so it only made sense to pass the reins, and I couldn't have handed them to a better guy.  Which is why I'm gonna do what I can to knock off some of the unlicensed games, in order to add the rest for 2023.

I am questioning the FDS additions though...mainly because I'm unsure about how to emulate them.  Physical FDS releases are a crapshoot if they even still work, so emulation may be the only way...so if anyone knows a good FDS emulator...

Also, I don't like the addition of hacks, but again, I'm not outright against it.  It's cool to try something different, and it's not like there's an overabundance of them on the list, so it's hard to really argue with it.

@Dr. Morbis I'd really like to see you back in the fold man...and really, what better way is there to show Scary that the unlicensed games should be added en masse than to finish off the project.  Either way, I get it, but your skillset is much broader than mine is, and could be a bigger boon than my intermittent gaming will be.

6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I am questioning the FDS additions though...mainly because I'm unsure about how to emulate them.  Physical FDS releases are a crapshoot if they even still work, so emulation may be the only way...so if anyone knows a good FDS emulator...

It's very easy to emulate, you just need the FDS bios file to be able to play those roms. I use FCEUX and Bizhawk to play NES games and it works like any other game once you have that set up. You do have to go into the menus to eject/insert the disk and flip sides and all that.

So, we end up with 12 unbeaten games. First time unbeaten for Boulder Dash and Gold Medal Challenge.

Congrats again to Nerdynebraskan for the 4th straight title, and 5th overall! And also to Gaia Gensouki for a second straight runner up finish, as well as Khromak rounding out the top 3! It looks like PII was the only first time top ten finisher, and Bearcat-Doug and NESfriend got their highest positions ever this year.

The new thread is up!

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1