IGNORED

Favorite Arnie movie?

Tabonga

28 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

But Arnold has been the source of a lot of fun movie watching memories over the years, and even his cheesy "family" stuff is a lot of fun.

His first movie (Hercules In New York - 1970) is pretty amusing for a really low budget fantasy comedy effort.  His accent was so  thick at the time that his voice was dubbed in by an unknown actor.  The movie benefited from the presence of Arnold Stang who played Hercules' sidekick - the two worked really well together.  Veteran actor James Karen also helped boost the quality of the production.  Worth watching if you can catch it on cable.  (It was later (much later) re-released with most of Arnold's original dialogue restored - which adds to the camp comedy value of the movie immensely.)

Events Team · Posted
10 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Did you ever see Red Sonja?  He plays much the same character with a different name in that one.

And how goes the Dumerest saga?

Brigitte Nielsen at her finest. Yowza!  Might as well be Conan.  Red Sonja was originally a Robert E Howard character anyway.  

Haven't pursued any additional Dumerest books.  I read the first book in the Deathworld series most recently.  Not great but decent. 

I have a couple Conan collections that I occasionally read when I get a hankering.  I've read maybe a third of the complete works.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Brigitte Nielsen at her finest. Yowza!  Might as well be Conan.  Red Sonja was originally a Robert E Howard character anyway.  

Haven't pursued any additional Dumerest books.  I read the first book in the Deathworld series most recently.  Not great but decent. 

I have a couple Conan collections that I occasionally read when I get a hankering.  I've read maybe a third of the complete works.

The six stories that Robert Jordan wrote for Conan are compiled into two hardcovers and are a good read.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

That series is pretty meh.  The second book is probably the best since Harrison uses his signature wry humor to the max in that one.  Good idea for a series that just never really pans out.

8 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

The six stories that Robert Jordan wrote for Conan are compiled into two hardcovers and are a good read.

Howard's King Kull and Bran Mak Morn stories are worth reading - particularly since those are somewhat tied  to Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos more than the Conan ones are.  (Lovecraft and Howard were in close contact for a long time.)

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, RH said:

(Slides my Kindergarten Cop VHS behind my back.)

Last night I was thinking about Kindergarten Cop, so I came back here to see if anyone else had mentioned it.  It's not my favorite, but it's up there.  I was pretty young the first time I watched that movie.  I was definitely into it for the funny scenes, but it also had just enough violence to scare the crap out of me at age 8.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RH said:

(Slides my Kindergarten Cop VHS behind my back.)

Last night I was thinking about Kindergarten Cop, so I came back here to see if anyone else had mentioned it.  It's not my favorite, but it's up there.  I was pretty young the first time I watched that movie.  I was definitely into it for the funny scenes, but it also had just enough violence to scare the crap out of me at age 8.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Yeah, we had taped it off of TV when I was a kid. Other than Conan which I had caught on TBS once, it was the probably the only Arnie film I had seen. Regardless, I loved it as a kid so there's definitely a bit of nostalgia for that one. I probably haven't seen it in 20 years though, so there's a fair chance it's not as great as I recall.

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

no one ever mentions eraser....

I used to love that movie when it came out but watched it a few years ago and it was pretty terrible. The 'you're luggage' line is pretty sweet when he shoots the croc but otherwise the movie is completely forgettable. I prefer Collateral Damage to Eraser.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I used to love that movie when it came out but watched it a few years ago and it was pretty terrible. The 'you're luggage' line is pretty sweet when he shoots the croc but otherwise the movie is completely forgettable. I prefer Collateral Damage to Eraser.

i have to be honest i havent seen it in years. i did see it in theater back then. i remeber the croc scene.... thats it lol

• Haha 1