IGNORED

Awards/Trophies for collections?

AstralSoul

Events Team · Posted
42 minutes ago, RH said:

IIRC, I had earned at least 2-3 badges but could never motivate a mod to actually put them on my account. 🙄

You had to request them in the NA Awards thread.  @Gloves and @MrWunderful were pretty damn consistent at giving them out.

https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/163703/awards-nintendoage-awards-new-updated-list/p1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I had 9 badges by the end of it all and only one was for collecting.  But there were a bunch of badges for events, gaming, and community contributions including a couple that you specifically mentioned.

143733275_NAbadge_CommunityArtistAward.png.3c95fe4d80a40425e381a02bebedf88d.png  Community Artist Award

159010184_NAbadge_CommunityWritersAward.png.679b72403747887313c193e793002c1e.png  Community Writers Award

332248789_NAbadge_GameContestParticipant.png.fc72f5edba2bf4600c948cef562244a1.png  Game Contest Participant

2044039861_NAbadge_SNESContestParticipant.png.cef1fe487d57eb6d5666bafb17cc466a.png  SNES Contest Participant

YES!  More stuff like this please!

Getting people involved with the community/site will keep people coming back and help this place grow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rooster said:

I don't see anything wrong with showing your passion for a certain thing by having games and collectibles in a set.  If I love MegaMan, what is so wrong about having a badge to show off that I have a ton of megaman stuff, and every game released for it?

I think maybe the level of dedication things went to to actually get some of the badges?  A lot of the franchises got ridiculously long in the tooth, so if you didn't get the badge while it was comparatively more easy to get, you had to throw a lot more money at it to achieve the goal.  I'm a huge Mega Man fan, but I don't own every single title and most likely won't, given what a lot of it costs.  There also wasn't any follow up to determine whether folks who got a badge when there were only a handful of games out (say the NES, SNES, and PS1 Mega Man titles) actually kept up with everything (picking up all PS2, XBox, GBA, etc.) to maintain that level of supposed fandom or dedication.

The full system set badges definitely cost folks a lot of money if they didn't already have the stuff laying around, and rightfully so.  But badges for various franchises which are meant to show fandom really shouldn't have been as much of a climb.  Maybe "fan" and "superfan" badges should have been available?  You got a "fan" badge if you had, say, 10+ games in the library, but "superfan" if you had literally everything released?  Heck, a lot of folks would have loved to have gotten a badge for the not-insignificant feat of accumulating a full licensed NES set minus SE, since not everybody lucked into that one when it was still affordable nor has/had $5-10K+ to throw away on a single cartridge (that isn't a particularly great game anyway and can be replaced by a single $5 cart that's simply renamed).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I think maybe the level of dedication things went to to actually get some of the badges?  A lot of the franchises got ridiculously long in the tooth, so if you didn't get the badge while it was comparatively more easy to get, you had to throw a lot more money at it to achieve the goal.  I'm a huge Mega Man fan, but I don't own every single title and most likely won't, given what a lot of it costs.  There also wasn't any follow up to determine whether folks who got a badge when there were only a handful of games out (say the NES, SNES, and PS1 Mega Man titles) actually kept up with everything (picking up all PS2, XBox, GBA, etc.) to maintain that level of supposed fandom or dedication.

The full system set badges definitely cost folks a lot of money if they didn't already have the stuff laying around, and rightfully so.  But badges for various franchises which are meant to show fandom really shouldn't have been as much of a climb.  Maybe "fan" and "superfan" badges should have been available?  You got a "fan" badge if you had, say, 10+ games in the library, but "superfan" if you had literally everything released?  Heck, a lot of folks would have loved to have gotten a badge for the not-insignificant feat of accumulating a full licensed NES set minus SE, since not everybody lucked into that one when it was still affordable nor has/had $5-10K+ to throw away on a single cartridge (that isn't a particularly great game anyway and can be replaced by a single $5 cart that's simply renamed).

I would be fine with that, personally.  Of course I say this as someone who is not responsible for administering this site feature, but I think the more badges available, the better. 

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

We can have tiered badges in the system I have implemented, so what you're suggesting could work.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gloves said:

We can have tiered badges in the system I have implemented, so what you're suggesting could work.

I have to say I really like this idea. Adding a tier to badges means that for ex you might be able to see I own a lot of pokemon games, but just because I have no desire to own "Hey you, Pikachu!" doesn't mean I'm not a really big fan.

I'm a fan of keeping the badges limited to things I would at least say "Oh, cool." about. The community participation ones are great too course. Just as examples:

Not "Oh, Cool." worthy badges:

• Facebook/Twitter (Lame!)
  • Club Nintendo Platinum member
  • 100 accessories (Unfocused "achievement", virtually meaningless?).
  • SOCOM series award (A set of zero collectible or interesting items. Sorry for this harsh truth VGS SOCOM collectors)

"Oh, Cool" worthy badges:

• Rare/unique thing, test cart, kiosk, etc.
  • Console/series/publisher sets
  • Can beat Ninja Gaiden without dying
  • World Record holder in Marble Madness
  • Makes box art for homebrew games
  • Jive Turkey

My 2 cents anyway. Or we can tier badges like Playstation trophies. Club Nintendo Platinum is a bronze trophy. World Record in Marble Madness is a platinum trophy!

• 3 weeks later...
Events Helper · Posted

Not sure where this is going to end up, maybe we should vote as a community to add a badge past anything that should already be there.  I know that it would take some doing to have people create the badges, so anyone with pixel art ability or what not could be used to help create the badges.  I know voting isn't the way to fix everything, but if enough people want the badge, then makes sense to add it.  Just a thought.  I never aimed for badges, but I now have all 4 dragon warriors for nes, so that could be one 😉 .  Anyway, could be something that was voted on, if you had a badge you would like to see added.  Of course that would be up to gloves and the mods.