IGNORED

New eBay Managed Payments - They cut PayPal out!

tbone3969

Anyone have any experience with eBay's new form of accepting payments?  I hear it takes a little longer to get your money into your bank account.  I am fine with this IF the fees are reduced.  It seems they should be as one wouldn't have to fork over any money to PayPal (about 3.5% from what I have calculated). 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

It won’t really be less fees. eBay is incorporating the difference in fees. Sellers will now pay 12.35% of the final sale price including whatever the buyer pays for shipping and tax! (Really sucks that we pay fees on a buyer’s tax) Plus there will be a $.030 fee for every transaction. It will come out to about the same, as far as fees go. The reason it may take a little longer to get your money is that eBay will allow the buyer to use any form of payment. Some forms of payment will take a little while to process. Either way, shouldn’t take too long. Main difference with this new process will be efficiency with handling disputes. Sounds like better seller protection. In the past, when eBay denied buyer cases, buyers would simply open a case with PayPal. They won’t have that option any longer. And in case anybody is wondering why these changes are happening, EBay was recently bought out buy a foreign company... There will be more changes coming down the pipe soon. Just remember this: for you guys that sell a lot on eBay, make sure you don’t exceed 200 transactions a year, and don’t sell more than $20,000.00 worth per year. Or else EBay will have to report this to the IRS and you WILL be required to pay taxes on all of your eBay sales.

Edited by joshdose

42 minutes ago, Aguy said:

Did USPS shipping increase too or the shipping discount decrease? Normally a first class 4oz would have been $3.14 but after updating all my info, it charged me $3.43.

Shipping is always going to go up, but that is a whole separate discussion. Nothing will have changed from the new managed payments system regarding shipping. The shipping costs will vary based on where your 4 oz. package is going.

1 hour ago, Aguy said:

Did USPS shipping increase too or the shipping discount decrease? Normally a first class 4oz would have been $3.14 but after updating all my info, it charged me $3.43.

It increased in Oct I believe for the holidays. First Class went up by $.25 and Priority went up by ~$.50 (might depend on the weight).

eBay Managed Payments sounds a lot like Amazon's system. I personally don't like it but if it increases seller protection then I'm all for it.

52 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

It increased in Oct I believe for the holidays. First Class went up by $.25 and Priority went up by ~$.50 (might depend on the weight).

eBay Managed Payments sounds a lot like Amazon's system. I personally don't like it but if it increases seller protection then I'm all for it.

That's probably it. I don't think I've sold anything since school started back up.

4 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Its not a temporary price hike. Thats a lie. Its a transition price hike so they dont have to deal with customer sticker price shock when the real increas comes early next year. This past year or so theyve shifted to the zone system with first class mail. So the further it goes the more it cost. So much variance in cost now so its not easy to forecast expenses for business. It really hurts free shipping cheaper listings.

new rate hikes for 2021 coming . Huge increases for all types. Its getting really expensive. Meanwhile china still can ship for pennies halfway across the world with sweetheart post office deals where the usps actually loses money. We get to pay for it.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/pl/2020/11/1605561099.html

Here are the new tables for 2021. 

https://shippingeasy.com/blog/usps-2021-shipping-rate-changes-flat-rate-priority-first-class-w-tables/

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

I was forced into managed payments in august.

It doesnt increase any protection. I sold a fitbit for like 100 bucks . It was new and sealed. A person bought it in august. 3 and a half months after purchase they have an issue. They opened a chargeback in november stating it had a poor battery. They already elapsed their ebay window for a case so I now get a chargeback through managed payments. I lose no matter what. If I fight it, I lose, they keep the item and I lose 20 dollar fee for ebay " fighting" the chargeback. They arent, they just pretend like paypal. 

So yeah. Zero protection from ebay managed payments. Its the same as paypal. 

As far as fees you save like a few dollars for every 10000 dollars in sales revenue. Its not even noticeable. This is just a money grab from a failing company in ebay. They have lost their way more than ever.

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Its not a temporary price hike. Thats a lie. Its a transition price hike so they dont have to deal with customer sticker price shock when the real increas comes early next year.

new rate hikes for 2021 coming . Huge increases for all types. Its getting really expensive. Meanwhile china still can ship for pennies halfway across the world with sweetheart post office deals where the usps actually loses money. We get to pay for it.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/pl/2020/11/1605561099.html

F*** China... And F*** USPS.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

I was forced into managed payments in august.

It doesnt increase any protection. I sold a fitbit for like 100 bucks . It was new and sealed. A person bought it in august. 3 and a half months after purchase they have an issue. They opened a chargeback in november stating it had a poor battery. They already elapsed their ebay window for a case so I now get a chargeback through managed payments. I lose no matter what. If I fight it, I lose, they keep the item and I lose 20 dollar fee for ebay " fighting" the chargeback. They arent, they just pretend like paypal. 

So yeah. Zero protection from ebay managed payments. Its the same as paypal. 

As far as fees you save like a few dollars for every 10000 dollars in sales revenue. Its not even noticeable. This is just a money grab from a failing company in ebay. They have lost their way more than ever.

That sucks, I'm still on paypal for some reason so I have no idea how the new system really works. The first class rate increase is going to hurt, especially since there's no commercial plus rate as far as I'm aware.

I've been on managed payment since summer and while I thought I would absolutely hate it, it hasn't been that big of a deal at all.

What I did though was set up a new checking account to just take care of it all.  I didn't want eBay payments hitting my normal bank account and wanted to keep them separate.  You can set it to pay out in a day or two, or do it once a week (what I do).  Cash flow thing isn't a big deal at all.

Fees... more or less the same.  They are slightly cheaper but not enough to notice the difference really.

This has actually been in the works for a very long time. eBay used to own PayPal, but shareholders made them spin it off into its own company. This was an effort to allow PayPal to grow in other sectors (i.e. make more money for investors and board members), which it did. Unfortunately it kind of screwed eBay over with no in-house payment processing, but that's how American capitalism works. 🤷‍♂️

https://mashable.com/2015/07/19/ebay-paypal-divorce/

https://money.cnn.com/2018/02/01/technology/paypal-ebay-payments-split-adyen/

Anyways, I think my days of high volume selling are over, so it shouldn't affect me personally. Hopefully most of us will have positive experiences like @jonebone.

Edited by DoctorEncore

On 11/20/2020 at 6:11 PM, Aguy said:

I got hit with this last week.  I had to ship stuff out and the usual rate I start at for the lightest (3.50) even for like just a state or two away that would have covered it I lost like a quarter.  I'm going to have to raise my flat rate shipping by .25-.50 cents I believe.

And I don't get this stuff about managed payments and it happening.  When?  I still just take in paypal, I get a notice from them and ebay someone paid, and I make a label as always for years now through ebay-paypal and ship the stuff out.  I'm not giving them access to give and take direct from my bank, screw that.  I also let my credit card with them on fire expire probably 3-4years ago now, all that's active is paypal.  They do know the last account I've used with a charge card, but no access to it.  If they force me to use a checking account and not paypal I'm going to be pissed, I like that wall between the ebay scammers, or ebay themselves who get scammy too reading all those seller complaints.

To be clear though, the whole money or total thing, it is an AND not an or with the IRS reporting.  $20000 AND over 200 items sold.  If you sell 200 items and make a $1000, they don't report squat.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I got hit with this last week.  I had to ship stuff out and the usual rate I start at for the lightest (3.50) even for like just a state or two away that would have covered it I lost like a quarter.  I'm going to have to raise my flat rate shipping by .25-.50 cents I believe.

And I don't get this stuff about managed payments and it happening.  When?  I still just take in paypal, I get a notice from them and ebay someone paid, and I make a label as always for years now through ebay-paypal and ship the stuff out.  I'm not giving them access to give and take direct from my bank, screw that.  I also let my credit card with them on fire expire probably 3-4years ago now, all that's active is paypal.  They do know the last account I've used with a charge card, but no access to it.  If they force me to use a checking account and not paypal I'm going to be pissed, I like that wall between the ebay scammers, or ebay themselves who get scammy too reading all those seller complaints.

To be clear though, the whole money or total thing, it is an AND not an or with the IRS reporting.  $20000 AND over 200 items sold.  If you sell 200 items and make a $1000, they don't report squat.

Unfortunately, you won’t have a choice, starting next year. I recommend getting a separate bank account just for eBay. If you wait too long to set it up, you may end up having your seller account suspended until it is set back up.

On 11/20/2020 at 9:31 PM, joshdose said:

They won’t have that option any longer. And in case anybody is wondering why these changes are happening, EBay was recently bought out buy a foreign company... 

Wait, did I miss something?? All I could find is this:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/21/adevinta-acquires-ebays-classifieds-business-unit-in-9-2b-deal/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJSCbxDY0lKSuMXe1vIqZX9RH4qeCgAXOX2k-snrIHoyClEicA9kCAbyivykXT_mIEYKQQ23EhqGOSf9ceJUxycYYJ-c1L5BYVitXlva2pa8jM8bSt_oGDt36FZ5ql3Ie9Dkf5YsKwcqfSzct7x2HrpT1VijFb2EgNDp-8XJ4RIb

Well I remember them ditching PP and threatening the change.  If they want to next year suspend my account I'm ok with that, but they'll have to drag me over the line kicking and screaming basically.  If necessary I'll setup an account with this bank I checked out a few years back that's entirely online, can use any ATM anywhere without charge to get funds.  They also pay decent interest on the totals they hold too, not that I'd hit that.  I'd make an account there, keep whatever if any balance they require, and just re-funnel it back into paypal anyway.  Screw those twits, paypal these days is no different than another bank or credit card in how they're handled and taken almost anywhere it seems.  It's one battle ebay isn't going to win trying to cut them out and likely will alienate some people into leaving.