IGNORED

New eBay Managed Payments - They cut PayPal out!

tbone3969

On 11/21/2020 at 11:54 PM, Tanooki said:

To be clear though, the whole money or total thing, it is an AND not an or with the IRS reporting.  $20000 AND over 200 items sold.  If you sell 200 items and make a $1000, they don't report squat.

Just to clarify this further -- that is the threshold where they are required to report it.

They can CHOOSE to report it at any level they want, should they decide to process the paperwork.  I haven't kept up with it in awhile, but I recall some anecdotes of people that didn't actually hit either threshold getting 1099-k's from Paypal.

8 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Just to clarify this further -- that is the threshold where they are required to report it.

They can CHOOSE to report it at any level they want, should they decide to process the paperwork.  I haven't kept up with it in awhile, but I recall some anecdotes of people that didn't actually hit either threshold getting 1099-k's from Paypal.

Well that's fun, they've not tried it on me yet, but I don't move anything near the 20k mark, but definitely over 200.  Until they report me I'm not reporting a thing and never will.  I consider ebay like an online garage sale, and unlike some states, they don't make you pay a tax bill on it here. 😄

22 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well I remember them ditching PP and threatening the change.  If they want to next year suspend my account I'm ok with that, but they'll have to drag me over the line kicking and screaming basically.  If necessary I'll setup an account with this bank I checked out a few years back that's entirely online, can use any ATM anywhere without charge to get funds.  They also pay decent interest on the totals they hold too, not that I'd hit that.  I'd make an account there, keep whatever if any balance they require, and just re-funnel it back into paypal anyway.  Screw those twits, paypal these days is no different than another bank or credit card in how they're handled and taken almost anywhere it seems.  It's one battle ebay isn't going to win trying to cut them out and likely will alienate some people into leaving.

It's really not that big of a deal in the long run.

I had my PP as the default way to pay for shipping labels on Ebay.

Which, was no problem, since money was always going in from the sale.

Then they went to managed payments, but they don't auto-change the way you pay for your shipping labels.

My PP balance ran dry, and the backup was an old bank account that had about $100 in it.

Next thing I know I'm getting overdraft notices! 

Anyways, don't forget to change your label payment to reduce from your payout...sigh.

• Wow! 2

1 hour ago, DK said:

I had my PP as the default way to pay for shipping labels on Ebay.

Which, was no problem, since money was always going in from the sale.

Then they went to managed payments, but they don't auto-change the way you pay for your shipping labels.

My PP balance ran dry, and the backup was an old bank account that had about $100 in it.

Next thing I know I'm getting overdraft notices! 

Anyways, don't forget to change your label payment to reduce from your payout...sigh.

So you can't even print labels through PP anymore either?  Damn them.  That should at least be an option.  It's not going to cause them any harm allowing it.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:15 PM, Tanooki said:

So you can't even print labels through PP anymore either?  Damn them.  That should at least be an option.  It's not going to cause them any harm allowing it.

Oh, no you CAN print labels through PP, but if you were previously getting your sale $$$ put into your PP, but aren't any more...it can cause a problem.

The current options for label payment are PP and deduct from payout.

29 minutes ago, DK said:

Oh, no you CAN print labels through PP, but if you were previously getting your sale $$$ put into your PP, but aren't any more...it can cause a problem.

The current options for label payment are PP and deduct from payout.

Well then I think the solution to the problem due to those fools would be to setup would be the Aspiration Summit Account that got/gets pitched through The Penny Hoarder.  The link is bloated so I'll put it at the bottom if anyone wants to read the details.  You set that up to keep their mitts out of your real life real job funds from a physical bank.  Let them play their dumbass games, and just have the money funneled there, then link that back to PayPal as a circular work around.  Pay your mail postage still through PP for their added protection against ebay scammer scum, guard against ebay having real bank access at the same time, and just setup the account to funnel the funds back into PP on a cycle so you never run dry and get overdrafts or whatever between the two.

NO Fees, 1%APY interest, free ATM use to funnel funds, FDIC insured.  It's run by some solid banks, it's not something second rate.  If you did use the issued CC from them you get a 10% cash back on using it too.  Maybe that would work on making money on ebay purchases. 😄

https://www.aspiration.com/get-account?utm_source=ph&utm_medium=cp&utm_campaign=phLE&utm_term=asa&utm_content=blog-gsb-ph&PHid=1027a9781bdac550fe646df51612f6

On 11/22/2020 at 10:30 AM, VegaVegas said:

Wait, did I miss something?? All I could find is this:

Yeah, I didn't see anything about them being 'bought out' either.. they still own their own marketplace .. but it looks like some of their 'classifieds group' sites are sold off  ..

They did make a deal with a new Dutch payment processor though (Adyen).. maybe that's what he was referring to

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure I understand exactly what’s going on with this. I was required by eBay to opt into this system in late June, but I’ve completed hundreds of transactions since then and every last one has been through PayPal. It certainly hasn’t affected my sales or anything like that.

I know that part of the new arrangement is that they’re downplaying PayPal as a payment option, but is there an actual date set for when they’re no longer going to be offering it as a payment option at all?

Yeah, PayPal is completely not used anymore for me when selling. Everything is done through eBay for me now including depositing money straight to my bank account. So far, I do prefer this as I just don't want to deal with Paypal anymore whenever I have to refund or cancel an order due to a buyer having a change of mind, I eat the fees. Let's see how it is with eBay in the coming year.

19 hours ago, avatar! said:

Got this email. I think it's authentic (ie not a scam)

Screenshot from 2020-12-11 15-59-36.png

100% legit and 100% terrible.  Maybe it's kinks but I've read some people waiting like a week plus to get their funds when supposedly it's like a day or two tops supposedly.  I'm kind of really pissed about it as I want my payments into paypal, never going to give a shite site like that my personal checking/banking account info considering how they horribly treat sellers.

I'm going to have to setup an external bank account, probably going to use the aspiration summit account which is all online or any ATM in the US being free.  I'll just use it as a routing service back to PP anyway and just keep a rolling balance of maybe 100 with the bank or so in case of some ebay shenanigans.

@cartman Yes they are pocketing the paypal fees.  They're charging about the same price, maybe a tenth or two of a percent less which few will ever realize not being mass business sellers.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@cartman Yes they are pocketing the paypal fees.  They're charging about the same price, maybe a tenth or two of a percent less which few will ever realize not being mass business sellers.

That's a shame things couldn't become a little cheaper. Payment processing is probably work in and of itself just as running an auctions site but perhaps doing it in-house as opposed to outsorcing it could've saved money wich then could've given sellers some reduction too. But they'll keep all of it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cartman said:

Payment processing is probably work in and of itself just as running an auctions site but perhaps doing it in-house as opposed to outsorcing it could've saved money wich then could've given sellers some reduction too. But they'll keep all of it.

Unless they were going to require bank-to-bank transfer, neither or eBay or Paypal have direct control of payment processing costs -- that is all on Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and Amex.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

Unless they were going to require bank-to-bank transfer, neither or eBay or Paypal have direct control of payment processing costs -- that is all on Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and Amex.  

Yeah that's true now that you mention it. There might still be technical issues integrating the methods with the website and whether Ebay itself has to make it secure from their end but i wouldn't know. It's very likely they're pocketing most of it just because they can yeah.

• Like 1

I think I saw someone who was pissed off did the math and I think it was like if you made like a 1000 there's a savings in 7~ in fees.  There's nothing any normal person will ever notice.

I haven't had the dreaded email from them yet and I'm starting to wonder when.  I have one of their oldest accounts on the site as I went active when ebay went public.  I doubt I'm lucky enough to be grandfathered around their bs at this level.  Other stuff I have been though which is nice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ebay sits on your seller money for a few days until they finally transfer it to your bank account, which also can take a few days more. 

If you don’t switch over by the cut-off date I imagine they just sit on your money until you add your bank info. I further expect they’ll continue to nag those who don’t switch over by email and messages in your account area.

What is the actual cut off?  I've still not got a word out of them about any turn around and I removed my info from there years ago other than PayPal.  I just confirmed it looking into my entire seller account and I have listed as it sits right now as Primary = PayPal  and Secondary = Credit Card (expired like 3-4 years ago which I refused to update when they nagged about it when that happened.)

I'm curious to see how they handle having nothing but that tied.

35 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

What is the actual cut off?  I've still not got a word out of them about any turn around and I removed my info from there years ago other than PayPal.  I just confirmed it looking into my entire seller account and I have listed as it sits right now as Primary = PayPal  and Secondary = Credit Card (expired like 3-4 years ago which I refused to update when they nagged about it when that happened.)

I'm curious to see how they handle having nothing but that tied.

For me Ebay sent a message to my account with this demand "All sellers receiving this email are required to update their account details by 12/31".

I've read before they want to get all sellers switched over by the end of 2021. It seems random when they send you the demand message.