IGNORED

International Politics / Current Events Thread

28 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Enraged stupid people= more advertising views= more money? 

I mean ya, they keep their people afraid/angry to keep them motivated, but you'd think that messaging would have to take a long journey to get back to blaming the Democrats.

Nothing else to jam up the news cycle maybe, it just seems like such a weird cue to Republicans. Like it falls under anti-war as far as limiting the U.S./NATO supplying Ukraine with weapons, it's pro-russia and I thought they generally use Russia the way they use China. I mean at that recent confirmation hearing the Republicans essential called that female nominee a Russian spy. 

Idk

26 minutes ago, Californication said:

I mean ya, they keep their people afraid/angry to keep them motivated, but you'd think that messaging would have to take a long journey to get back to blaming the Democrats.

Nothing else to jam up the news cycle maybe, it just seems like such a weird cue to Republicans. Like it falls under anti-war as far as limiting the U.S./NATO supplying Ukraine with weapons, it's pro-russia and I thought they generally use Russia the way they use China. I mean at that recent confirmation hearing the Republicans essential called that female nominee a Russian spy. 

Idk

No republican stances ever make sense, they constantly contradict themselves. Its whatever will get you on fox news for that cycle. Tom cotton literally blamed democrats for a a republican bill that Donald Trump signed into Law trying to Tie one of Biden’s SC picks to all rising crime rates across America.

People in Red states are running for political office on pure racism openly talking about taking votes away from people, Nothing actually makes sense. 

Average Fox news/Tucker Carlson viewer doesnt need actual evidence of anything, just someone to hate the same people they hate and they will stay outraged and buy shitty terrorist pillows

7 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

No republican stances ever make sense, they constantly contradict themselves. Its whatever will get you on fox news for that cycle. Tom cotton literally blamed democrats for a a republican bill that Donald Trump signed into Law trying to Tie one of Biden’s SC picks to all rising crime rates across America.

People in Red states are running for political office on pure racism openly talking about taking votes away from people, Nothing actually makes sense. 

Average Fox news/Tucker Carlson viewer doesnt need actual evidence of anything, just someone to hate the same people they hate and they will stay outraged and buy shitty terrorist pillows

Both of those messages tie in with Republican themes. I think your getting tied up because both of those messages are bad things. But both of those are tried and true arguments for turning out their voters.

I mean it could be a one-off, or a trial balloon, if you hear it in other places then it's a campaign. 

Olympic figure skater Kamila Valieva was failed by the system, adults

https://sports.yahoo.com/olympic-figure-skater-kamila-valieva-was-failed-by-the-system-adults-170245056.html

Well written article.

To Valieva, you'd imagine, this kid who, no matter the laughable defense of Russian lawyers, didn't get hopped up on heart pills by accident via her grandpa's stash. And she sure didn't, all by her sheltered self, acquire, concoct and then ingest a sophisticated cardiac cocktail of three separate medications — one of them banned by the World Anti Doping Agency.

Russian coaches. Russian doctors. Russian officials. That's who put this kind of stuff together. That's who administers it, not some naive teen who's lived nearly her entire life inside the cocoon of the Figure Skating Federation of Russia, built, by all means necessary, to be a champion.

The IOC is proud that it outsourced all discipline, doping or otherwise. It would rather just wash its hands and cash the checks. What is left behind is left behind, like some useless, dilapidated bobsled track in Sarajevo. It's just the cost of the Games, the cost of doing business.

2 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

welp, doesn't matter what the white house calls it anymore, it's happened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMeMrPuQyU

Screenshot-from-2022-02-24-15-28-53.png

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-24-22-intl/h_ad7e103d301f349a5c88f77627e20317

The only thing I find "funny" is the people who thought this wasn't going to happen or that the Cold War ended!

Wowsy, wow wow ... yup, some people have guts 😮

Screenshot-from-2022-03-02-19-30-39.png

Entrepreneur Alex Konanykhin made the promise in a post on social media site LinkedIn and called it his “moral duty” to take action and help Ukraine following the unprovoked attack.

“I promise to pay $1,000,000 to the officer(s) who, complying with their constitutional duty, arrest(s) Putin as a war criminal under Russian and international laws,” wrote Mr Konanykhin.

“Putin is not the Russian president as he came to power as the result of a special operation of blowing up apartment buildings in Russia, then violated the Constitution by eliminating free elections and murdering his opponents.”

His post included a photo of Mr Putin, with the caption, “Wanted: Dead or alive. Vladimir Putin for mass murder.”

Kosovo parliament urges government to start NATO membership bid

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kosovo-parliament-urges-government-start-123549721.html

Putin has done more to push Eastern European countries westward than anything since the fall of the Soviet Union! Good job Putin, now hopefully you'll die and rot in hell soon!!

On 3/2/2022 at 7:33 PM, avatar! said:

Wowsy, wow wow ... yup, some people have guts 😮

Screenshot-from-2022-03-02-19-30-39.png

Entrepreneur Alex Konanykhin made the promise in a post on social media site LinkedIn and called it his “moral duty” to take action and help Ukraine following the unprovoked attack.

“I promise to pay $1,000,000 to the officer(s) who, complying with their constitutional duty, arrest(s) Putin as a war criminal under Russian and international laws,” wrote Mr Konanykhin.

“Putin is not the Russian president as he came to power as the result of a special operation of blowing up apartment buildings in Russia, then violated the Constitution by eliminating free elections and murdering his opponents.”

His post included a photo of Mr Putin, with the caption, “Wanted: Dead or alive. Vladimir Putin for mass murder.”

I'm sure it was somehow shut down but many years ago, there was an anonymous app built on top of Bitcoin that posted rewards for specific actions.  Anyone could contribute to the award and though verification was human, posted "evidence" would give the posted of a given BTC address those rewards.

The system was quickly used to post "hits" on people, which is why I think it was likely disbanded.  I think DPR was in the middle of that.  Anyway, if such a function still existed, I could see potentially millions in bitcoin being donated to such a hit fund.  There are still a lot of guys out there sitting on piles of BTC and throwing 1-10 on such a pile would be small potatoes for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Very illuminating read

Russian intelligence isn’t all it’s cracked up to be

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/spy-story-the-myth-of-russian-intelligence

It is true that there is one area in which Russian intelligence agencies are a step ahead of their western counterparts: clandestine operations aimed at spreading misinformation. When Putin came to power, he created his own foreign intelligence organisation. Today it is known as the Fifth Service and its deputy leader Anatoly Bolyukh is also in charge of ‘fake news’ for use in Russia and abroad. On this, Western agencies have much to learn. But in the great spy game, this appears to be Russia's only advantage.

Screenshot-from-2022-04-17-18-32-59.png

https://qz.com/2155842/an-80-km-line-of-russian-trucks-is-trying-to-escape-eu-sanctions/

The sanctions against Russia, and the pileup of trucks at the Polish border, shows how wide-spanning Western sanctions are reshaping economic borders and forcing countries to turn inward, reducing their dependency on some international trading partners. The EU was a top trading partner of Russia’s before the war, importing more than €158 billion worth of goods from the block in 2021. But the trucking ban will further cripple trade, even if Europe tries to retain access to essential commodities such as energy and fertilizers. Not only is Europe cutting off trade with Russia by land, it’s also cracking down on Russian ships entering its ports, as well as seeking to wean itself off energy imports from the country. In the US, automakers are rushing to secure their own supplies of raw materials used to make electric vehicle batteries, and the government is turning to its own strategic petroleum supply to try to make up for a loss of Russian oil.

While it will take months before Russia bears the full brunt of sanctions, the lines of the globalized world are being redrawn as Putin’s war in Ukraine continues, and they are unlikely to go back to the way they were.

Screenshot-from-2022-04-19-22-22-16.png

“The war adds to the series of supply shocks that have struck the global economy in recent years,” said Mr Gourinchas.

“Like seismic waves, its effects will propagate far and wide -- through commodity markets, trade, and financial linkages. Russia is a major supplier of oil, gas, and metals, and, together with Ukraine, of wheat and corn.”

A long time coming, and I'm not surprised one little bit. Russian and Chinese leaders have for decades now demonized the West, and the West in turn has placated them. Now, things are going to change. It will be painful at first for all, but in the long-run, it will be good to decouple from Russia (gas) and especially China.

Exclusive: Russian media's reach in U.S. limited after invasion, DHS document says

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-russian-medias-reach-in-us-limited-after-invasion-dhs-document-says-212208772.html

Russian disinformation experts told Yahoo News the assessment tracks with what they’ve seen in recent months but strongly cautioned against downplaying or underestimating Russia’s capabilities.

A former senior government official involved in aspects of the investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 elections put it more bluntly. “They don’t need China; they don’t need state media,” said the former official, who also requested anonymity. “They just need social media and Tucker Carlson."

Ain't that the sad truth.