IGNORED

International Politics / Current Events Thread

almaty-kazakhstan.webp

Another post-Soviet ‘ruler for life’ faces upheaval, as enormous protests sweep Kazakhstan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/06/kazakhstan-nazarbayev-protest/

This week, after three decades of Nazarbayev-led rule, demonstrators in Kazakhstan launched into the fiercest protests of its post-Communist era. They began Sunday amid outrage about rising fuel prices, but soon the anger turned on the country’s first independent leader. Though Nazarbayev, 81, formally stepped down as president three years ago, he has become a target of demonstrators who are saying: “Old man, go away!

That slogan has become a rallying cry for protesters, many of whom are angered at Nazarbayev’s lingering role as a de facto ruler for life. Social media is flooded with footage of a statue of Nazarbayev being pulled down, while a presidential palace was reportedly stormed in Almaty, Kazakhstan’s largest city.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/troops-protesters-clash-almaty-main-square-kazakhstan-shots-heard-2022-01-06/

Police in the main city Almaty said they had killed dozens of rioters overnight into the early hours of Thursday morning. The authorities said at least 18 members of the security forces had died, including two found decapitated. More than 2,000 people had been arrested.

• 2 weeks later...

Anxious Ukrainians react to Biden's prediction on Russian invasion

https://www.yahoo.com/news/anxious-ukrainians-react-to-bidens-prediction-on-russian-invasion-210204039.html

“Take a deep breath. Calm down,” Zelensky told his countrymen. There was absolutely no reason to panic.

Hours later, however, President Biden sounded a very different tune about Russian President Vladimir Putin’s intentions, one that made Ukrainians anxious. “My guess is he will move in. He has to do something,” Biden said at a White House press conference on Wednesday when asked if Russia would actually invade Ukraine. Biden’s comments sparked panic in the former Soviet republic.

It was “absolutely absurd,” Oleksiy Sorokin, political editor for the Kyiv Independent news site, told Yahoo News. “We followed Zelensky’s speech and we’re like, ‘OK, so this is the strategy now — don’t panic.’ And then two hours later, we get the president of the United States confirming that Russia will invade and the whole speech of Zelensky, his whole plan, just goes to pieces.”

But what really dropped jaws in Kyiv was Biden’s take on how NATO might respond to a Russian attack on Ukrainian soil. “I think what you’re going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades,” Biden said, adding, “It depends on what [Russia] does. It’s one thing if it’s a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do, etc.

“My first reaction was, ‘Oh, my God, what am I hearing right now?’” said Sorokin. “It felt like he was giving Putin a green light to invade Ukraine. I was thinking, ‘When should I wake up tomorrow, so not to miss the Russian invasion?’”

Have to agree, that sounded like a stupid thing for Biden to say...

Putin 'won't stop' with Ukraine: Why Americans should care about Russia's aggression against its neighbor

https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-wont-stop-ukraine-why-230015017.html

Another Russian invasion of the former Soviet republic would be “the most consequential thing that’s happened in the world, in terms of war and peace, since World War II,” Biden said.

A Ukrainian government minister warned Britain’s Sky News in December that a full invasion of Ukraine would spread conflict around Europe and could even trigger World War III. “It is unpredictable as to what will happen,” said William Taylor, former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine. He noted that throughout history, conflicts often start small with an assassination or a strike on one country that then spreads to other parts of the world.

Years ago some people were already sending out early warning messages that Russia and China have gone beyond "the Cold War" mentality, and it was "funny" how many people were "naaah, it's all good mate! nothing is going to happen" and here it is, happening.

Here are some thoughts from a "progressive" news channel:

Edited by avatar!

1 hour ago, Californication said:

The real title should be, "America Looking to Start a new War - Which Country will it be?"

Also, who calls former Fox host's progressive??

Yeah, because Russia and North Korea are super peaceful loving countries, eh?

I used it in quotes because the news channel considers itself progressive - do a bit of research.

10 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Yeah, because Russia and North Korea are super peaceful loving countries, eh?

I used it in quotes because the news channel considers itself progressive - do a bit of research.

Mmm I don't understand your point.

And not sure what that matters, the U.S. starts more wars than any other country in the world so not sure if that should be the justification for anything.

Now whether Russia wants to go to war with Ukraine is their business. Russia has had a redline for former Soviet country's forever. I could give two shits whether or not Ukraine is added to the U.N and it certainly isn't worth going to war over.

You're right, you did use quotes. Off top sounds like bad faith marketing. She's from CNBC and he is from fox, lolz.

3 hours ago, Californication said:

Now whether Russia wants to go to war with Ukraine is their business.

You've gotta be joking?? That kind of mentality is what lead to World War II. That's almost isolationist thinking right there "Why do we care? Let them sort it out! It doesn't involve us" history has taught us how that ends and I'll be damned if I'll let it repeat - well, in the sense that as one individual I can't do much, but I can at least speak out.

Neither the rise of Adolf Hitler to power nor the escalation of Japanese expansionism did much to change the nation’s isolationist mood in the 1930s. Most Americans still believed the nation’s interests were best served by staying out of foreign conflicts and focusing on problems at home, especially the devastating effects of the Great Depression. Congress passed a series of Neutrality Acts in the late 1930s, aiming to prevent future involvement in foreign wars by banning American citizens from trading with nations at war, loaning them money, or traveling on their ships.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/great-debate

2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

You've gotta be joking?? That kind of mentality is what lead to World War II. That's almost isolationist thinking right there "Why do we care? Let them sort it out! It doesn't involve us" history has taught us how that ends and I'll be damned if I'll let it repeat - well, in the sense that as one individual I can't do much, but I can at least speak out.

Neither the rise of Adolf Hitler to power nor the escalation of Japanese expansionism did much to change the nation’s isolationist mood in the 1930s. Most Americans still believed the nation’s interests were best served by staying out of foreign conflicts and focusing on problems at home, especially the devastating effects of the Great Depression. Congress passed a series of Neutrality Acts in the late 1930s, aiming to prevent future involvement in foreign wars by banning American citizens from trading with nations at war, loaning them money, or traveling on their ships.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/great-debate

So let me get this straight, you think it is smart for the U.S. to go to war with a country who has hundreds of nuclear weapons because something, something, Hitler?

1 hour ago, Californication said:

So let me get this straight, you think it is smart for the U.S. to go to war with a country who has hundreds of nuclear weapons because something, something, Hitler?

...wow, you're serious. Hitler murdered millions upon millions of people which led ultimately led to 3-5% of the human population being slaughtered or dying, but in your mind it's "something, something, Hitler"
So, if it doesn't affect your video game collecting in good ol' Cali don't worry, is that the gist?

Anyway, I'll respond regardless of inane and pointless it will be, since after all, "something, something, Hilter" ...
First, the "West" is already at war on a number of fronts including economic and cyber. However, sure, you're talking about conventional/traditional war. Is it smart for the USA to intervene? Yes and no. Biden said it correctly that we will have to wait and see, although I think he spoke out of turn for the record. Letting Russia invade, slaughter, take-over, and brutalize a country that wants to join NATO and is friendly to the West would be a grave disaster and everyone knows it. No one plans to send fighter jets to Moscow, but at the same time you can't allow fighter jets from Russia to attack Kyiv either. Putin is playing a dangerous game here, which as experts have pointed out could easily spill over and who knows what that might lead to - perhaps disasters with millions of deaths.

• 2 weeks later...

So the American government is warning Americans to NOT speak about atrocities that are happening while they are attending the Olympics in Beijing because they could face retaliation from the Chinese government.

This is a perfect example to illustrate what freedom of speech is. Some people misunderstand freedom of speech thinking that they can say anything they want in any circumstances with no consequences in their life. In reality, your employer can fire you, your university can expel you, you can lose friends and reputation, etc.

But freedom of speech protects us from the governments punishment (ie detention to jail/prison time) for simply saying something the government doesn’t like. Freedom of speech ensures that speech, however much we may disagree with it, is never treated as a crime with criminal penalties.

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/4/2022 at 10:50 AM, phart010 said:

So the American government is warning Americans to NOT speak about atrocities that are happening while they are attending the Olympics in Beijing because they could face retaliation from the Chinese government.

This is a perfect example to illustrate what freedom of speech is. Some people misunderstand freedom of speech thinking that they can say anything they want in any circumstances with no consequences in their life. In reality, your employer can fire you, your university can expel you, you can lose friends and reputation, etc.

But freedom of speech protects us from the governments punishment (ie detention to jail/prison time) for simply saying something the government doesn’t like. Freedom of speech ensures that speech, however much we may disagree with it, is never treated as a crime with criminal penalties.

To be fair, Pelosi is saying do not speak while in China. Freedom of Speech is one of the great things about the USA, but it does not apply once you leave the USA. If an athlete speaks out in Beijing, they could easily be arrested and tortured.

100$ The canadian “freedom” envoy is being supplied and supported by US right wing dark money. Fox news wont shut the fuck up about it. If you have Ted Cruz on your side, then you are obviously something terrible and repulsive. 

The Trumpublicans arent happy destroying just our country lol “were coming for you Canadians you pleasant cold bastards!”

I know Canadians are nice and all, but shit 85% of Ottawa is vaccinated? And 90% of truck drivers too? You guys should not be taking this from such a loud stupid minority. If this was Florida, it would be legal to shoot them or run over them with your vehicle. Literally. 

No right to hold people who trust science and common sense hostage. 

Im not up to date on Trudeaus mandate? Or whatever the vaccine requirement is, but is there an “out” like bi-weekly tests, masks, etc.?  Just out of curiosity. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

100$ The canadian “freedom” envoy is being supplied and supported by US right wing dark money.

Someone on my Facebook was praising it and when I shared that article that protesters harassed a homeless shelter and demanded food from them etc, they said that the homeless shelter must either be lying or receiving funding from someone opposed to the protests.

Fucking. Idiotic. 

15 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

100$ The canadian “freedom” envoy is being supplied and supported by US right wing dark money.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they're financially supported by US right wingers. However, it sounds like protesters themselves are Canadian

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/07/world/canada/who-are-canada-truck-protesters.html

A key organizer of the “Freedom Convoy” that arrived in Ottawa last week is Tamara Lich, who was previously secretary of the relatively new Maverick Party, a right-of-center group that was started to promote the separation of Canada’s three western Prairie Provinces from the rest of the country.

Another main organizer of the truck convoy is a group calling itself Canada Unity, which has published a “memorandum of understanding” calling on Canada’s appointed senators and Canada’s Governor General (the representative of Queen Elizabeth II in Canada’s constitutional monarchy) to abolish all Covid-19 related restrictions and to allow all unvaccinated workers whose employment was terminated because of vaccine mandates to get their jobs back.

Screenshot-from-2022-02-11-07-28-14.png

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/china-bought-none-of-the-200-billion-it-promised-from-the-u-s-in-phase-one-trade-deal-study-reveals-11644505449

Even on the day two years ago that the trade deal was inked, there was skepticism that China would live up to its pledge to spend $200 billion more on U.S. goods and services. But a new study finds China didn’t even spend an additional dime on U.S. products.

China must think we're idiots... apparently so! After all, making this deal with China and thinking they would do anything that might assist someone other than themselves = joke!

ho-hum, so another Olympics, another Russian doping scandal... yawn

2022 Olympics: IOC confirms Kamila Valieva's failed drug test. Here's what happens now.

https://news.yahoo.com/2022-olympics-ioc-confirms-kamila-090217621.html

Russian figure skating superstar Kamila Valieva did test positive for the banned substance trimetazidine, the International Testing Agency confirmed Friday on behalf of the International Olympic Committee, and her case will be considered at an expedited hearing of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) before the women's individual competition begins Feb. 15.

The International Test Agency explained Friday that a Swedish lab found trimetazidine in a sample taken from Valieva on Dec. 25, after she won the Russian national championship, but for reasons not yet disclosed, the lab only reported the positive result on Feb. 8. The Russian anti-doping agency RUSADA immediately suspended Valieva from the Games, but a disciplinary committee lifted her suspension on appeal Wednesday.

I like that, "for reasons not yet disclosed" - here's the reason: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Video Games Esports GIF by 100 Thieves

Screenshot-from-2022-02-13-18-09-53.png

https://www.thedailybeast.com/vladimir-putins-army-forces-ukraines-frontliners-into-fight-or-flight-hell

...there is now little doubt that the Russian president will make the earth-shattering decision to invade neighboring Ukraine, according to multiple reports citing NATO and U.S. officials that emerged on Friday.

Meanwhile, the U.S. and its allies have been working on getting “the mother of all sanctions” ready to deter Russia from an invasion. It is still unclear what exactly these measures will look like, but they’re expected to include personal sanctions against Russian President Vladimir Putin and his inner circle, as well as the closure of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline in Europe.

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Just when you think this tool couldn't get any more useless... he opens his mouth.

Screenshot-from-2022-02-16-18-20-09.png

Bro thats the top rated show on fox. The good news is the majority of his viewers probably dont know what a Ukraine is.

That wont save conservatives from actively destroying America, however. But I would wager old Tucker probably has some property in Russia.