IGNORED

North American Super NES launch titles

Mario_Friend1982

North American Super NES launch titles  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite North American Super NES launch title?

• F-Zero
    • Gradius III
    • Pilotwings
    • SimCity
    • Super Mario World

Although a week later, some more games were released, including UN Squadron and Super R Type, and ActRaiser came along about two months later. Final Fantasy II(IV) was also in those first few months, as was Final Fight.

It wasn't like the NES where 18 or so titles were released and then nothing for nearly eight months.

Edited by Tulpa

13 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Although a week later, some more games were released, including UN Squadron and Super R Type, and ActRaiser came along about two months later. Final Fantasy II(IV) was also in those first few months, as was Final Fight.

It wasn't like the NES where 18 or so titles were released and then nothing for nearly eight months.

17 for the NES. Mach Rider wasn't released until the next summer.

19 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Well the New York test launch has something to do with that.  The next wave of NES releases wasn't really much of a wait if you're counting from the NES's nation-wide roll out.

I think this poll should have been "What's your favourite SNES launch title that was not the pack-in?"

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

Well the New York test launch has something to do with that.  The next wave of NES releases wasn't really much of a wait if you're counting from the NES's nation-wide roll out.

I think this poll should have been "What's your favourite SNES launch title that was not the pack-in?"

It was still a couple of months, while SNES rolled out new titles every week or two.

11 hours ago, Tulpa said:

It was still a couple of months, while SNES rolled out new titles every week or two.

For how console launches worked "back in the day" -- it is probably worth considering two concepts:

(1) the literal "launch" of what was truly available on day 1 (even though the equipment may not have been in all stores on day 1)

(2) the first Christmas/holiday season  (which, as a kid at the time, was the first time I actually saw/knew anybody that actually had an SNES after having read the hype for months in Nintendo Power)

7 minutes ago, Estil said:

I think this would've been a better poll if it was favorite SNES launch title besides Super Mario World.

Or what was your favorite AT THE TIME.

Because in terms of what I'd rather play today -- of those titles SMW wins out.

But back when the system was new, FZero would potentially win among those 5 (and gets more interesting if you stretch to Christmas of that year and include Final Fight and a few others)

29 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Or what was your favorite AT THE TIME.

Because in terms of what I'd rather play today -- of those titles SMW wins out.

But back when the system was new, FZero would potentially win among those 5 (and gets more interesting if you stretch to Christmas of that year and include Final Fight and a few others)

At the time it was a toss-up between Final Fight and F-Zero.  

Today honestly it's still F-Zero for the quick pick up and play ability.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

At the time it was a toss-up between Final Fight and F-Zero.  

Today honestly it's still F-Zero for the quick pick up and play ability.

Don't get me wrong - FZero is still fun.  But a discrete-input racing game is a really rough-feeling game in an age of analog control inputs.

5 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

They need an F-Zero compilation already (including a translated Climax)

Best arcade experience I ever had in my life was in the summer of 1999 in a big city arcade that had a fully enclosed SR-2 motion base with some kind of FZero-clone.

Cost about $2 per play, and you could have an additional passenger along for the ride.

Edited by arch_8ngel

I didn't (and still don't) care about SMW and really only picked up an SNES after a second friend who'd gotten the system at launch showed us SimCity.  I had a blast playing that and ended up asking for a console only after they started offering the system-only setup plus a copy of SimCity.  I think my brother got me Populous that same Christmas, then I went without a new game for it until around the time Mortal Kombat came out, when I picked up a copy of that.  I rented a lot of SNES titles, but up until a few years ago, only ever owned a literal handful of titles.

• 1 year later...