IGNORED

Fire Emblem 30th Anniversary: Original NES game coming to Switch for the first time in English and a limited collector’s package coming to select retailers

6 hours ago, avatar! said:

Looks like Nintendo is funneling more money to scalpers. Seriously though, I don't know of any company that purposely and idiotically limits their products which are bound to become popular like Nintendo.

Yep my thoughts exactly. Imagine if Rockstar were like hey GTA remakes coming but you can only buy it for a few months. There would be riots across the internet. Nintendo do it and everyone shrugs and says typical Nintendo and supports their bullshit.

I supported the Mario release because I thought it was a one off. Looks like artificial FOMO is their new marketing strategy. The funny thing is the scalpers are making more money than they are.

I was reading (but can’t confirm) this was released for free on the Japanese online service. Should be that way for the west considering how slow they release games on there.

I’m very excited about the game but the tchotchke “physical” release reeks of something Limited Run would do.

Off-topic but related to other posts in this thread: I’ve loved Nintendo since I was very young (and still do, obviously) but the Nintendo fan base as a whole needs to stop kidding themselves when they act like Nintendo doesn’t do many of the same shitty things that the other gaming companies/devs/whoever the internet is mad at this week do.

It’s like your favorite grandparent who you love spending time with but says something shitty every now and then.

Time-limited digital games are truly a harbinger of the coming all-digital apocalypse. I'd spend $50 on a physical copy of the game for my collection for NES's sake, but not a knick knack box. The price isn't egregious and I'm sure the art book will be cool and all, but no software, no deal when you're targeting the collector side of my brain Nintendo.

Interesting times we're in for sure.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Yep my thoughts exactly. Imagine if Rockstar were like hey GTA remakes coming but you can only buy it for a few months. There would be riots across the internet. Nintendo do it and everyone shrugs and says typical Nintendo and supports their bullshit.

I supported the Mario release because I thought it was a one off. Looks like artificial FOMO is their new marketing strategy. The funny thing is the scalpers are making more money than they are.

I was reading (but can’t confirm) this was released for free on the Japanese online service. Should be that way for the west considering how slow they release games on there.

100% agreed. Nintendo absolutely gets away with shite because of their fanbase. Consider a new RPG that  had the following flaws:

1)Framerate drops

2)Can't fully explore in a supposedly fully 3D explorable world e.g can't go underwater

3)Large lack of enemy variety

4)Repetitive dungeons

5)No book to hold things such as recipes 

6)Inability to repair weapons

7)Random resetting of enemies and items - completely random

8)Frustrating puzzles because of terrible controls schemes (puzzles themselves are trivial)

9)Random weather that purposely limits exploration and the only thing you can do is then wait and wait

10)Very limited voice acting for a supposedly AAA game

11)Rehashed bosses

Now, if said game was overall aesthetically pleasing and mostly fun, even with said problems I think it would get somewhere between a 7 and 8 out of 10. BUT, when that game has the word Zelda in it "Oh wow! this is the best game ever made!" says Nintendo fanpeople... yeah, NO. 

Perhaps President Bowser is running the show and laughing it up in his flying ship? Otherwise, like ChickenTendas, I'm at a loss as to explain how people are fine with Nintendo releasinga 30-year old NES games DIGITALLY for a limited time? I do not see any logic nor reason behind it, other than Nintendo just wanting to annoy people and make headlines. Nintendo is really making me eager for the PS5 to be out already!

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Nintendo isn't perfect but I don't mind this.  It's a long overdue translation of a 30-year old game for a $6 digital-only download.  If you want extra trinkets to fill your shelves it'll be an extra $44.  No physical release for now if you don't count the DS remake.  

Someone in the Switch hacking community is going to dump the rom. Then its inevitably gonna get flashed onto boards.

Some people (im guilty) will inevitably pickup one of those boards and plug it into this official replica shell to make their own semi-official physical release.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

BotW is a 10 though 😝

Thank you. I can't hear how a 10/10 game isn't a 10/10 game. Facts are facts here guise. 

I think it a bit of. A stretch to say BOTW isn't a master piece bc Nintendo released a faux cartridge for a 30 year old game.

Meanwhile, LRG sells an empty INL SNES shell and a CD-RW and we collectively cheer and howl.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I think it a bit of. A stretch to say BOTW isn't a master piece bc Nintendo released a faux cartridge for a 30 year old game.

Breath of Rain is overrated. But, I suppose if I had never played say Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, or other such games I too would think it was a masterpiece 😛 

Just my opinion but my original point , which I feel some of you have helped justify, is that people let Nintendo get away with shit that were it any other company you would call them out. 

• Angry 1

Call it gamer outrage, at least I'm consistent and not hypocritical as it was pointed out earlier where it's ok if LRG does a game-less box fluff package, but it's ok because Nintendo for FE 30th.  I find neither acceptable and wouldn't waste coin on any.  I wanted this box the moment I heard about it, before I did the look up on it when I had time to see it's a lame piece of paper for a download with all the other trimmings.  That's just unacceptable.

Do we know what the digital copy alone will cost?  $5?  $10?  I could see just doing that, but even then I'm not sure if I'd want to.  I've got Shadow Dragon on the DS complete with the first party guide no less too.  Something tells me I'd just be better off sticking to what I have.

So on September 18, we got a Mario 3d compilation on Switch. It caters to people who may have grown up in the N64, GameCube or Wii era, but they must get a Switch by March 31 or else they’ll lose the chance to play it. 

On October 1, we got a Switch exclusive, Mario 35, which caters to people who may have grown up in the NES era. Free to play, but again you have to get a Switch now to enjoy playing until expiration of March 31.

We will be getting Fire Emblem on December 4th which presumably caters to an older JRPG audience.. Again you have to have a Switch and buy it before March 31.. 

Anyone starting to see a pattern? What’s special about March 31?? Wouldn’t it make sense to make the cutoff date for FE a month or two later than the Mario games since it comes out later??

I wouldn’t be surprised to see more limited games for Switch coming out that will only be available until March 31. What’s next.. Four Swords Anniversary Edition on Switch?? 

Nintendo knows that limited supply is one of the strong motivators in making sales. It appears that Nintendo is really putting on the pressure to convert any remaining potential buyers that may have stopped playing games into first time Switch owners. And they want them to hurry up and buy a Switch before a certain date. Maybe after that special date they’ll have a special announcement to make?

Once someone purchases the *NEW* Switch, there’s no chance that they’ll purchase an original Switch. But if someone buys an original Switch there’s always a chance that they’ll buy the *NEW* Switch at a later time.

Edited by phart010

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Do we know what the digital copy alone will cost?  $5?  $10?  I could see just doing that, but even then I'm not sure if I'd want to.  I've got Shadow Dragon on the DS complete with the first party guide no less too.  Something tells me I'd just be better off sticking to what I have.

$6 for digital only from what I have read.

I personally don’t have a problem with them selling a box of random stuff or the price.

What annoys me is that there is a cut off date when this game will be removed and it is a very short one. It just promotes piracy for those that miss out. They will get a short FOMO boost but will lose money on the long run.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, B.A. said:

The end of Nintendo's fiscal year is March 31st.  So their incentive is to probably drive sales for this year. 

Wow you nailed it. 

I think it’s possible maybe something else will come along April 1st that they aren’t telling us. Maybe these games eventually come back in another format. 

They'll probably just re-issue them making it look limited before April 1.  They can come back a month or two later and go, hey screw scalpers, we're doing more and out this summer with a June/July date with an indefinite date or maybe through 2021.  By then it would be so well seeded in physical format it would crush the trolls as it did with the NES CE reissue, and the Wii SMAS package too.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:42 AM, Tabonga said:

Scalpers are selling these on ebay - but  Best Buy and Playasia show it as coming soon rather than out of stock or sold out.

Gamestop just says not available. 

I just went in store to Gamestop to preorder mine. It’s not available online but is instore