IGNORED

Music Debate #84: Rush

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

I'm gonna think about this one, but before I vote on them, I'll say they are one of the most controversial bands amongst their own fans that I've observed.  They seem to be divided by old vs. new.

Maybe that's no an accurate statement, but I've met a lot of people that LOVE them, but they either love their later stuff or the stuff from their very early days, but very rarely both.

So, good pick!  I can't wait to read what you guys have to say. 

Editorials Team · Posted

I've owned most of the classic albums.  I also drove 430 miles with friends to camp out and see them at The Gorge.  They put on a great show.

I'll probably give them a 7

- While I do enjoy them, I have never loved them.  

- I don't hate Geddy's voice, but I've never been fond of it.

- I hate, hate, hate their lyrics.  People dig the sci-fi and "deep" musings, but I find them cringe and unpoetic.

- I find the Rush cult to be highly obnoxious as well.

- I can't be bothered with 99% of the post-Moving Pictures material.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, doner24 said:

I absolutely respect their musicianship, but just can’t get in to them due to Geddy’s voice. Huge fan of Alex Lifeson from his work on Trailer Park Boys. 

6/10

I'm not a huge fan of his voice either, but it doesn't really bother me. When I hear a Rush song, I know it's them and having a distinctive sound is usually a plus for me.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

Even though they were innovators of the style of music I play, I was never personally a HUGE fan, but I had to give em an 8.  Plus, when I was a kid I taped the 1992 Royal Rumble and I LOVED the song that closed the show.  I always thought it was something the WWF put together.  20 or so years later, I found out it was Rush!  Thank god the version on the WWF network still has that song, because without it, it just wouldn't be the same.

• Like 1

I still can't come up with a solid number that I want to give them, but I'm going with 8.  This is one of those bands that I'm mostly familiar with just their popular stuff, but the reason  I can't go further is because it's also my desire to at some point take the time to deep-dive into their music. So, I've avoided them, waiting for that time where I can dig into their back catalog from start to finish, but I've not prioritized doing that just yet.  Maybe I should.

Anyway, I think I'll go with an 8.  I like what I hear and Geddy's voice, for me, is pretty fitting for their sound.  I kind of like it but I can 100% understand how his sound could be hated by some.  I'm sure my vote will likely change if I give this band a good listen, by 8 feels right, so I'm going with that.

10 for me.  Love Rush.  Way back in the days of cds I used to always pick up whatever used Rush cds I found for like $1 a piece.  I even enjoy that late 80s/ early 90s Rush ala Hold Your Fire or Roll the Bones.  They are definitely a band where their radio hits don’t even begin to do their genius justice.  

edit:  Oh yeah.  I forgot,  Geddy Lee is on a level so beyond normal mortals.  Dude is simultaneously one of the most legendary bassists of all time, singing lead vocals, and playing the keyboard with his feet.  Panties moistened.

Edited by Hammerfestus

6/10.  They have some great stuff and are superb musicians. I'll always give them a listen if they are in the radio or a friend is jamming them. I've never purchased anything or sought anything out though but I did have tickets for Primus playing a set of Rush songs. 

Maybe if the world gets it's shit together, I'll be able to go.