IGNORED

The NEW! Official Seller Silliness Thread

RH

Oh man, looking through that auction is a feast of WTFs, but I think this one takes the cake:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/gran-turismo-greatest-hits-wata-90-cib-ps1-sony-1998-usa/a/312120-68076.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

a 9.0 graded CIB greatest hits copy of Gran Turismo. I mean...why would you grade that? Why would you sell it at HA? And why the hell would anyone buy it? Just holy WTF.

9 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Oh man, looking through that auction is a feast of WTFs, but I think this one takes the cake:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/gran-turismo-greatest-hits-wata-90-cib-ps1-sony-1998-usa/a/312120-68076.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

a 9.0 graded CIB greatest hits copy of Gran Turismo. I mean...why would you grade that? Why would you sell it at HA? And why the hell would anyone buy it? Just holy WTF.

spacer.png

On 5/21/2021 at 5:55 PM, AdamW said:

jeez, what a jackass.

here's someone who's either very brave or very reckless, or possibly both...they bought a 7.0 third print Pokemon Blue for $5000: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393308789204?nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

then immediately turned round and listed it for no-reserve auction, starting at $1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384173844170

that's, uh, quite the gamble! Wonder if they'll regret it. And yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what happened, the feedback count of the new listing's seller exactly matches the feedback count of the old listing's buyer, I don't think it's a relist.

This guy's a fool. There was 1 bid so I highly doubt there are motivated buyers out there, since they didn't bid on this one.

I think it was actually a BIN price; eBay shows some listings as sold after "one bid" when they were really BIN lately, I think it's ones which were listed as dual type, but not 100% sure.

Auction's up to just under $2k, anyone want to place side bets on whether they make their money back? 😄

9 hours ago, RH said:

Well it's not exactly a lie either, it is still sticker sealed.  I'm pretty sure the SNES one of those I have is too.  NES might be as well since I had to replace that one ages ago when NOA still sold new manuals when you called them.

22 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Oh boy, do I have a winner today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124742088304

Yes, it's a rare one-of-a-kind misprint totally worth $40k CIB. So rare I have three of them in this room right now. 🙄

Wasn't sure if it was going to be the ultra rare 7 controllers BOTW or the masterpiece FF7 for 40k before I clicked, but it was a nice surprise.

I was gonna create a similar listing for my three copies for $39,999.98 just to troll the guy (and hopefully catch the eye of any uninformed potential buyers) but eBay won't let me list for more than $1,100. And I don't want someone to actually buy it. 😛

22 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Is it really going to hurt you if by some insanely slim chance someone bought one for that price when you'd still have 2 more?  I'd say troll away.

I like having worse condition copies around as I can open them up and check stuff and take pictures without being paranoid about hurting them. My 'best' "Red text" box is in super nice condition and I really don't want to open it any more than absolutely necessary, because you just can't open double-ended box flaps without hurting them a bit 😞

Also then I would have to deal with actually mailing the damn things off and a good chance that the buyer would complain about something and want to do a return and guh.

I'd understand that, more so the buyer troll factor being a larger more stressful concern.  It's why I have an item or two I'd let go of, but the value is up there plenty enough I'd demand an in person meet up and cash or good as cash paypal(friends and family), zelle, etc where no matter what once it's done, it's done.

Here's one for the real silly seller connoisseur:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265174672139

OK, it's ridiculous enough on the face of it. Mildly crushed Pokemon Emerald CIB listed for $10,000 because "I truly don't want to sell this and chances are I wont. Thus the price is reflected of that, if someone offered me what I wanted I would take it only to go ahead and buy a house."

But the real chef kiss? It comes with this big emotional story about how they got this on release day as a child...but it comes with a -2 rev manual. Nice try.

edit: just to rub it in a bit more - Emerald was released May 1, 2005 in NA. See that DS Lite flyer it also comes with? That advertises the Coral Pink and Onyx colors as "NOW AVAILABLE". Those colors of DS Lite weren't even announced in NA till August 24, 2006. Heck, the DS Lite itself wasn't released in NA till June 11, 2006. 🤣

Edited by AdamW
pronouns!
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2021 at 5:30 AM, AdamW said:

I think it was actually a BIN price; eBay shows some listings as sold after "one bid" when they were really BIN lately, I think it's ones which were listed as dual type, but not 100% sure.

Auction's up to just under $2k, anyone want to place side bets on whether they make their money back? 😄

We are down to T-minus roughly 16 hrs, just over 3500 dollars...

It could still make it to 5 grand, but if I was the seller I would be feeling a little peaky right about...

It's squeaky bum and brown trousers time! 😄

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2021 at 3:14 AM, AdamW said:

Here's one for the real silly seller connoisseur:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265174672139

OK, it's ridiculous enough on the face of it. Mildly crushed Pokemon Emerald CIB listed for $10,000 because "I truly don't want to sell this and chances are I wont. Thus the price is reflected of that, if someone offered me what I wanted I would take it only to go ahead and buy a house."

But the real chef kiss? It comes with this big emotional story about how they got this on release day as a child...but it comes with a -2 rev manual. Nice try.

edit: just to rub it in a bit more - Emerald was released May 1, 2005 in NA. See that DS Lite flyer it also comes with? That advertises the Coral Pink and Onyx colors as "NOW AVAILABLE". Those colors of DS Lite weren't even announced in NA till August 24, 2006. Heck, the DS Lite itself wasn't released in NA till June 11, 2006. 🤣

I wouldn’t even be surprised if the seal is a reseal because the box looks too battered at its bottom and the seal just seems a bit shonky also. The seller here is definitely a dodgy one, and I also wouldn’t be surprised if the K-Mart sticker was slapped on from another item.

I’m noticing a growing trend of sellers selling average/fake stuff but throwing in a heap of description to make it seem more “authentic” to an unsuspecting buyer.

10 minutes ago, AdamW said:

It's not sealed (and not claimed to be sealed). It just has some of the plastic on the box still.

The seal gives it a level of authenticity, but I suspect this is a shop sealed at best or he might have done a reseal job himself. Bottom line is that his listing and items included are more suggestive of a shonky dealer than a silly seller.