IGNORED

The NEW! Official Seller Silliness Thread

RH

On 4/13/2021 at 2:06 PM, JVOSS said:

not only no but HE)) no.  just goes to show that GVNWATAHA is a market multiplication leader.  or is it a sign of good time ahead?   IMO its a setup to a bad down turn... 

Side note the green box may not have a ROM 0 cart.  ie a first run cart

Did this one get posted yet? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Land-Nintendo-Game-Boy-1989-GREEN-Screenshots-First-Print-Edition/402794665879

Same idea, it has green screenshots, but in one of the pictures you can see the side says "For sale and use in USA and Canada only." 

33 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Did this one get posted yet? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Land-Nintendo-Game-Boy-1989-GREEN-Screenshots-First-Print-Edition/402794665879

Same idea, it has green screenshots, but in one of the pictures you can see the side says "For sale and use in USA and Canada only." 

Isn't it weird that the manual has "1" in the end? I thought this should mean not first run.

That's the one we're tentatively counting the second print: green screenshots, but has that "for sale and use in" text. The $880 one was that print, and HA's $26k sealed one looks like it was that print to me (you can just barely see it if you zoom in the back pic).

There is another green screenshots print which is the same but does not have any "for sale and use in" text. We think that's probably the first print.

@sg17box prints, manual prints, cart label prints, cart ROM versions and packin prints have very complex interactions. You usually can't be sure any given box always had the same cart, manual and packins in it, it is often not that simple. (I have found all kinds of different relationships in cataloguing Pokemon prints, for e.g.). The print code for any given thing (box, cart label, manual, packin) is a code for that thing alone. It does not necessarily simply "match" any other thing.

So we can say that manual is a second declared print manual (by 'declared' I mean, we don't necessarily know that Nintendo didn't make 'ninja changes' to the first declared print, the way they changed the box three times without changing the declared box print code). We don't necessarily know what box(es) it would've been found in, without more research and cataloguing.

Edited by AdamW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, GPX said:

I laugh when seeing the type of posts on here. 

I weep when I think this level of seller silliness is increasing exponentially by the day. 

Unfortunately, when we get to the point where there are more of them than us, they will be setting the market prices and we will be the "silly" ones.

3 hours ago, RH said:

Unfortunately, when we get to the point where there are more of them than us, they will be setting the market prices and we will be the "silly" ones.

If clueless people will create most of the demand and pay whatever insane prices the sellers are putting out, then the new normal also means the games you got for cheap can be sold for insane price. It's not going to be sustainable though, hypechasers at large tend to get bored of x thing in a few years, a few will turn into long time collectors and investors shouldn't be so stupid to not scout the market before investing in it. Even the investor types are paying insane prices for weird items and undervaluing some other significantly more worthy items - many of them don't know what they are doing but it's affecting the market big time. There are many players that are making big bucks by hyping the market up, if you aren't long time sealed collector you shouldn't invest on something without population reports. Something like Pokémon is extremely common to uncommon max (for some prints I suppose) for the mainline series in non-sealed form and yet stuff can pull 4 figures. These two pictures from eBay's video game section speak volumes about the market: 

chrome_2021-04-27_17-10-01.png.e14669241776e77e35e23ae9db71fe7c.png

chrome_2021-04-27_17-10-07.png.56015d35c92c4350f30cabe515821258.png

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

4 hours ago, AdamW said:

@sp1nzspeaking of "can pull 4 figures" - check this guy who just sold his entire collection:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/50centgunit/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

He got $23k just for the cardboard. Nothing sealed. Another 9k for sealed copies of most DS/3DS games.

I thought Canadian variants were supposed to be fools gold? Also wtf at that Emerald selling so high with an obviously fake cart.

6 hours ago, AdamW said:

@sp1nzspeaking of "can pull 4 figures" - check this guy who just sold his entire collection:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/50centgunit/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

He got $23k just for the cardboard. Nothing sealed. Another 9k for sealed copies of most DS/3DS games.

Didn’t that guy used to be on NA? I think I recall he sold a CIB Shantae in 2019 for $1500

5 hours ago, chuppy44 said:

I thought Canadian variants were supposed to be fools gold? Also wtf at that Emerald selling so high with an obviously fake cart.

I wouldn't say "fool's gold" exactly but they usually sell at about a 10-25% discount on US prices, yeah. All those prices are pretty high even by current market standards; most of the cardboard is in really nice condition which explains it to some degree, but there's not a lot of excuse for the prices on the DS and 3DS games. I wonder if there's a kind of "lot effect" when someone sells off a whole set like this at once? I saw it happen one time before, too. I guess people click between the seller's items and get caught up in things, or something? It's odd.

Emerald actually did sell at a clear "discount" relative to the rest of the lot (look at the FireRed and Ruby prices) - usually it goes for more than any other GBA game. So people did I guess price in the fake cart, and also probably the missing poster. And still paid nearly $800. 😵

oh hey, more eBay gold today. Check the stones on this person:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184737432911?nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true - bought a CIB Pokemon Emerald for $420, condition claimed "good" (even that was a stretch)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303983195414 - now reselling it for $690, condition now claimed "very good", didn't even retake the pictures

🙄