IGNORED

The NEW! Official Seller Silliness Thread

RH

1 minute ago, MiamiSlice said:

I’ve already seen graded game collectors chasing down green screenshot games. Saw someone bragging about getting a Tennis with green screens. It’s Tennis. I hope he does very well with it.

Green screenshot SML will be the next Left Bros. I’m not convinced that it is rare but I’ve been told that it is. I’m happy for people to believe that. It did take me a bit of work to get mine:

C630A01B-FA98-4AE0-ADEB-F7242856E28F.thumb.jpeg.9c9e525394186ee5e3c38d070e469222.jpeg

Maybe later I’ll check the cart to see if it’s actually first print...

did the plastic tray have a recycle logo in the bottom?  and did it come with a poster of SML

2 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

did the plastic tray have a recycle logo in the bottom?  and did it come with a poster of SML

No recycle logo. Poster is DMG-USA, one of the games on it is SML. 

It might be frankensteined though. I had a few carts and went with the nicest looking one. What else should I look for? How can I identify a ROM-0?

to me the best part of collecting aside from the childhood memories, is the chase but when you have gvnwataha causing the casual $20 game to highs of 26K then there is no room for fun.  i have paid my share of overpriced games.  it out there and it is real..  all we can do is educate each other and just laugh at the buyers cause the sellers are laughing all the way to the bank. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

No recycle logo. Poster is DMG-USA, one of the games on it is SML. 

It might be frankensteined though. I had a few carts and went with the nicest looking one. What else should I look for? How can I identify a ROM-0?

Post a pic of the label lower right hand...

12 minutes ago, RH said:

Should I add this into the discussion?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284255498208?ul_noapp=true

To be fair, if it were $999, I'd be snatching it up.  It is in cherry condition.

@RH its a very nice one but the seller is a weasel i had in on the truck for 400 and he recalled it saying it was a tracking error.  a few weeks after he hit me up and said he would let me have it for 1500 i told he where to put it. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

IGS definitely isn’t as knowledgeable as Wata or VGA. They are not specific to video games. They grade whatever.

I love IGS so much. Their cases that are intentionally poorly sized in them name of uniformity. Their stock, completely incongruous army stencil font that the owner just picked because he thought it was cool. Naming your company "Investment" anything and the first thing on their website is a Pirates of the Caribbean blu-ray. The fact that the guy on Ebay grades his own stuff, then debates his his self-given grades in his Ebay item descriptions. The cornucopia of subgrades. All around, just *chefs kiss*

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

BDED95BC-9A91-4029-BD55-82714B83577B.jpeg

@MiamiSlice you have a rom 1 cart sorry.  this is a 34A  you would have wanted a 05 or 12 or 22 maybe a 23 (which i have not see yet) with out the "A". your cart to my guess would be a 2 or even 3 print run as it is also missing the Circle R for the "nintendo"  on the OSQ seal...  IRC the circle R OSQ early 90 and

the missing of the R from Nintendo was a 89  to late 91

• Wow! 1

12 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@MiamiSlice you have a rom 1 cart sorry.  this is a 34A  you would have wanted a 05 or 12 or 22 maybe a 23 (which i have not see yet) with out the "A". your cart to my guess would be a 2 or even 3 print run as it is also missing the Circle R for the "nintendo"  on the OSQ seal...  IRC the circle R OSQ early 90 and

the missing of the R from Nintendo was a 89  to late 91

Ha! This means I might have sold or traded a Rom 0. Time to find one. The hunt is on!

• Like 1

Not that i have to give a head up but i will.  most sellers have no clue what they have so be aware. 

Look for a DMG-BBA-01 cart that is the real first run.  DMG-BBA-02 is a 2 run.   This is the for the PCB not the IC chip..  Also the back will not have a copyright or a year / months on the pcb date area. 

On IC Chip Dates might be from 8929-8934 just around . 

If you need help DM..

Edited by JVOSS
Corrected information
  • Like 1

I find I don't mind sellers who list things that seem completely off base...They generally fall into two categories 1) Someone who knows nothing about games and is just wildly throwing numbers out there - In which case they can just be ignored and nobody will buy their garbage, or 2) Someone who is offering up something actually rare and is just gouging the niche collectors that want that item...I have a hard time being upset with them, they are just trying to get the most money out of their game...What if they don't care about games, but just know what they have is rare?  I try not to do this, because I don't like screwing over other game collectors, but if I got a Jackson Pollack at a garage sale for $5, you better believe I'm going to gouge some ultra wealthy art collector for $3M+...not just re-sell to someone who really likes Jackson Pollack for triple what I paid...

On a personal note, I've been trying to acquire 3 GBA game boxes...The value to non-whole set GBA collectors is $0.  The price guide value (pricecharting) for each of the 3 is $0, $12, and $136. I've been offering $500 each and nobody has stepped up...I would love it if a gouger put one up on eBay for $3,000...I might not buy it, but it would give me hope that they were out there...and maybe I could eventually talk him down...but he could also bet on me (or someone else) being so desperate they just pay for it...Hey man, if I feel like paying $3,000 to get a game "worth" $12, I'd rather have the option to do so than not have any avenue to buy the game at all.  What I also like about it is that when one sells for that much, it pulls more out of the woodwork...

I feel like I bring up this example all the time...I was sick of searching for Colin McCrae Rally 2.0 for GBA...I had been looking for 4 years and never seen a boxed copy for sale.  One came up for sale in an auction on eBay...price guide value at the time was like $25...with 3 seconds left, the top bidder was $65.  I bid $700 and was outbid - The guy got it for $710.  The next week, 3 CIB Colin McCrae Rally 2.0s came up on eBay for $800 or more from 3 different sellers...I just waited 2 months, kept making offers, and ended up with one for $300...still WAY more than it is worth, but at least I was able to get one!

Edited by Naked Warrior
spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RH said:

Should I add this into the discussion?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284255498208?ul_noapp=true

To be fair, if it were $999, I'd be snatching it up.  It is in cherry condition.

The seller of that has an absolute ton of GB/GBC/GBA (maybe others too, I dunno) stock they list under several accounts. You can tell because all the pictures are taken on the same awful floor 😛 (and they have a particular format of inventory number, which is handy for tracking their frequent ninja relistings - they often cancel a listing "because the item is unavailable" and then list it again at a different price). They always list BIN and always for high prices at the time the listing goes up, sometimes just kinda high, sometimes insanely high. I think their philosophy is just never to sell for a bargain; apparently it doesn't really cost an eBay seller anything to leave a listing up for a very long time, so if they don't actually need to sell right away, there's no reason for them not to just list at a very high price and then if the market catches up or some idiot pays way over market for it, quids in for them...

It is working great for them lately; a lot of the stuff they listed for "ridiculously high" prices a month ago has sold because it rapidly became the market price. So now they've listed another round of the same stuff for twice as much.

Edited by AdamW
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

here is the best example of graders not knowing what they have or graded. are grades just ignorant or arrogant and what to get their services out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Heartgold-Sealed-VGA-WATA-Graded-Mint-RARE-Not-For-Resale-Nintendo-DS/224422053813?hash=item344098c7b5:g:zw0AAOSwpc9gdHBE

this maybe a NFR but part of a whole.  it missing about a 3rd of the total set.  why would you pay price for a 3 of a graded set?  it just blows my mind. 

as a cart only collector i just don't understand the crazy high prices...

That sold for $1100, btw. Which, yeah, is an odd price when the last two entire boxed copies with the game sealed went under $1000. But they were like weeks ago! That's thousands of dollars in Pokemon market time!

11 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

I’ve already seen graded game collectors chasing down green screenshot games. Saw someone bragging about getting a Tennis with green screens. It’s Tennis. I hope he does very well with it.

Green screenshot SML will be the next Left Bros. I’m not convinced that it is rare but I’ve been told that it is. I’m happy for people to believe that. It did take me a bit of work to get mine:

C630A01B-FA98-4AE0-ADEB-F7242856E28F.thumb.jpeg.9c9e525394186ee5e3c38d070e469222.jpeg

Maybe later I’ll check the cart to see if it’s actually first print...

There are 2 versions of the green screen box. First print is with warranty info only. Second print has warranty info and for sale in info

• Like 1

I thought they changed the screenshots before the warranty? Pretty sure I've seen yellow screenshots with the older warranty style.

Edit: e.g. the one in this listing. Yellow (newer) screenshots, but older warranty style. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Land-1-2-6-Golden-Coins-Both-Boxed-Original-Very-Good-Condition-/174697730692?nordt=true&rt=nc

Edited by AdamW
example

21 hours ago, AdamW said:

I thought they changed the screenshots before the warranty? Pretty sure I've seen yellow screenshots with the older warranty style.

Edit: e.g. the one in this listing. Yellow (newer) screenshots, but older warranty style. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Land-1-2-6-Golden-Coins-Both-Boxed-Original-Very-Good-Condition-/174697730692?nordt=true&rt=nc

I thought he said that was the newer warranty style? Either way, it's true there are 2 versions. I just found out the other day that 2 of my 3 SML boxes were green screens. Checked just now and one has the "for sale and use" and one doesn't. Though, if the one without it is the first then that means that $880 sale was not even the first print like it claims.

3 hours ago, chuppy44 said:

I thought he said that was the newer warranty style? Either way, it's true there are 2 versions. I just found out the other day that 2 of my 3 SML boxes were green screens. Checked just now and one has the "for sale and use" and one doesn't. Though, if the one without it is the first then that means that $880 sale was not even the first print like it claims.

OK, wait, we may have gotten wires crossed at some point 😄

I thought the earliest warranty text style is the one on the $880 copy, like this:

smlold.jpg.25efab0f06fb7748521486b5be764602.jpg

and the newer style is like this:

smlnew.jpg.5d4429794a4a46d085442979e61cf26c.jpg

are you saying they're the other way around? Or that there's another style I didn't know about? Thanks!

edit: in https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Land-supermario-land-Nintendo-Game-Boy-GBC-box-boxed-working-origina-/392904809801?orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc you can just about see that the tab code for the 'newer style' (as I called it) is DMG-ML USA-1. I believe both yellow and green screenshot boxes with the 'earliest style' (as I called it) warranty have tab code DMG-ML USA.

edit 2: aha, found the style you mentioned in this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Land-Nintendo-Gameboy-Complete-in-Box-with-Manual-1-Owner-/284154063311?orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc : the older warranty text, with no "FOR SALE AND USE IN" text, and green screenshots. The font is actually different, too. Unfortunately, tab code and print date are not visible.

smloldshort.jpg.d2a9a61faaaf6390aae379b74f4af1ce.jpg

Could you post the tab print and date codes from your copies? It'd be really interesting to compare them.

edit: looking at HA's high resolution pictures, it looks like that $26k copy had the "for sale and use in" text. If it turns out the one with no text is earlier....eheheh.

Edited by AdamW
found the other style

2 hours ago, sg17 said:

Both new and authentic!

Have to get my hands on this rare variant lol, obviously this one of a kind item is under priced at $60.

fhAfvcn.png

I've started to notice that some (cough, dirty) sellers through "First Print" at the end of all of their game auctions now.  I kid you not, I found one guy who had a bunch of random games, across many eras, and even the Greatest Hits and Players Choice items had "First Print!" tacked on at the end. (Along with things like "Rare, Such Wow!, IMG1! BUY ME NOWS!"  Well... I embellished a bit, but you get the idea.

• Haha 1

Ah, so no date codes 😞 The yellow screenshot, color-background warranty print at least does seem to have them. Not sure about the other prints. I'm going to spin out a new thread for this so we can try to nail down what's what, if anyone's interested.

And I'll give you fifty bucks for it. 😄

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Ah, so no date codes 😞 The yellow screenshot, color-background warranty print at least does seem to have them. Not sure about the other prints. I'm going to spin out a new thread for this so we can try to nail down what's what, if anyone's interested.

And I'll give you fifty bucks for it. 😄

I’m very interested! *

* in the thread. Not your piddling offer 😜