IGNORED

PSST! Did You Hear?

DarkTone

Can you think of any well known video game rumours?

I was just thinking about the Rumour that Akuma was playable in RE2. You had to beat the game a few times using the hand gun and knife only, Can't take a single hit, and Akuma would be unlocked (From EGM magazine, I believe).

Anyone got some they remember?

Guile handcuffs and gun in SF2. The handcuffs turned out to be somewhat true and based on a glitch in the original arcade version.

Polybius.

Tomb Raider nude code.

If you loop Kung Fu 50 times then you would get to fight your girlfriend.

Edited by mbd39

Administrator · Posted
43 minutes ago, Makar said:

Best one I can think of was that marill in Pokemon was going to be named Pikablue. 

Another common one was that you could use strength on the car outside of the S.S Anne ship and find mew underneath. 

This is one of my favorites. The Pokemon rumors have always been close to believable too, like, you CAN get to the truck, and WHY is it there? 

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

This is one of my favorites. The Pokemon rumors have always been close to believable too, like, you CAN get to the truck, and WHY is it there? 

Lol exactly. There are so many more examples like 100 space shuttle launches in 3rd gen would take you to the moon to go catch deoxys.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:15 PM, Makar said:

Lol exactly. There are so many more examples like 100 space shuttle launches in 3rd gen would take you to the moon to go catch deoxys.

Pokemon rumors, especially for mythical Pokemon like Mew and Deoxys, have caused me to waste soooooo much time. Thankfully that crap stopped happening as much when the internet became more of a thing. This is the only way I know to catch Mew "legitimately" without a Gameshark.

7 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

Pokemon rumors, especially for mythical Pokemon like Mew and Deoxys, have caused me to waste soooooo much time. Thankfully that crap stopped happening as much when the internet became more of a thing. This is the only way I know to catch Mew "legitimately" without a Gameshark.

You can catch several Mews if you have a pokemon leading your party with a special stat of 21 (the key factor driving the glitch). The reason that Youngster is commonly used is because his slowpoke has a special stat of 21.

You just need trainers to battle to unlock your pause menu, then instead of heading to route 8, you just fly to where all of the ditto nests are. Once  you encounter a Ditto and it transforms into your party leader, run from the battle, then fly to Route 8 (like it says in that walkthough).

The special stat value of the last pokemon you encountered before going to route 8 determines which pokemon you will encounter to complete the glitch. (for Mew it's 21)

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

As a kid, I spent a lot of time trying to get the flying boots in Link to the Past. You have to buy a Super Bomb (so you have to have completed most of the game) and take it all the way to the lost woods to a place where there are 3 tree stumps, making 3 corners of a square. Bomb the 4th corner and a hole will appear. It... didn't turn out to be true.

I also think fondly on the Luigi in Mario 64 online scene. I had a gameshark, so I was one of the researchers who would try to find codes that scrambled the in-game textures, to try and find hints of a hidden level or Luigi skin or something. I consider the Zelda-flying-boots time all wasted, but the Luigi research was somehow a ton of fun.

I remember a friend telling me if you stood in front of the vending machine in the Celadon department store for one hour and hit A it would open and reveal a hidden room. I can no longer remember what he claimed was there.  Probably masterballs or Mew. 

I remember leaving my game on while watching TV and keeping an eye on the clock on the TV Guide channel.  It didn't open.  Must have been a second or two off.

1 hour ago, Br81zad said:

You can catch several Mews if you have a pokemon leading your party with a special stat of 21 (the key factor driving the glitch). The reason that Youngster is commonly used is because his slowpoke has a special stat of 21.

You just need trainers to battle to unlock your pause menu, then instead of heading to route 8, you just fly to where all of the ditto nests are. Once  you encounter a Ditto and it transforms into your party leader, run from the battle, then fly to Route 8 (like it says in that walkthough).

The special stat value of the last pokemon you encountered before going to route 8 determines which pokemon you will encounter to complete the glitch. (for Mew it's 21)

Wow. I never knew the mechanics behind the glitch. That's super interesting. I'll have to try your way on my next run. 🙂

Administrator · Posted
44 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I dont think I ever remember hearing one cuz I didn't play or discuss video games with anyone.  Thats not weird, right?

I got beaten up a few times for being so into video games so probably best to have kept it to yourself depending on your area and age.

21 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I got beaten up a few times for being so into video games so probably best to have kept it to yourself depending on your area and age.

No it wasn't even that.  I lived in an apartment on a huge block with other apartments.  So instead of being inside I mostly played outside cuz there was so much to do.  But it never even dawned on me to ask other kids!  I lived in Queens NY, but once I moved out to the suburbs, it seemed to be more of a thing to go to peoples houses and play games.  I never did that as a kid.

Edited by guitarzombie

32 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

Wow. I never knew the mechanics behind the glitch. That's super interesting. I'll have to try your way on my next run. 🙂

I've spent countless hours fooling around with this glitch. You can actually initiate this glitch WAY before you reach the gambler used in the walkthru you linked. If you catch an Abra in the patch of grass to the west of the nugget bridge, you can 'Teleport' away from the trainer just above that grass. Pause and save your game when you're in the position shown in pic 1. Then step down 1 space and immediately pause/teleport to begin the glitch. Just be sure that the PokeCenter in Cerulean is the most recent Center you've been to (that's where the teleport will take you). After you battle a trainer to unlock the pause menu again, teleport once more (to the Cerulean Pokecenter) and walk up the nugget bridge. Walking north on the bridge will trigger the encounter the exact same as walking west on Route 8 does.

stand-here.png

trainer-teleport.gif

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

I've spent countless hours fooling around with this glitch. You can actually initiate this glitch WAY before you reach the gambler used in the walkthru you linked. If you catch an Abra in the patch of grass to the west of the nugget bridge, you can 'Teleport' away from the trainer just above that grass. Pause and save your game when you're in the position shown in pic 1. Then step down 1 space and immediately pause/teleport to begin the glitch. Just be sure that the PokeCenter in Cerulean is the most recent Center you've been to (that's where the teleport will take you). After you battle a trainer to unlock the pause menu again, teleport once more (to the Cerulean Pokecenter) and walk up the nugget bridge. Walking north on the bridge will trigger the encounter the exact same as walking west on Route 8 does.

No way. That makes my life so much easier since I always choose Charmander. Getting Mew before dealing with Misty instead of having to track down a Pikachu or overlevel a Beedrill, Butterfree, Magikarp, or Kadabra is a dream come true. You're the man.

4 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

No way. That makes my life so much easier since I always choose Charmander. Getting Mew before dealing with Misty instead of having to track down a Pikachu or overlevel a Beedrill, Butterfree, Magikarp, or Kadabra is a dream come true. You're the man.

I think every pokemon caught with this method will be at level 7. so you'll have to level up the Mew (of whatever else you catch) a little before Misty

4 hours ago, Alder said:

Everyone used to believe that in Pokemon Red/Blue, some combination of holding A/B and a direction on the D-pad (usually up) would make it more likely that a capture was successful.

I 100% hold B every time I catch a Pokemon, in every version of the game. I don't care that it doesn't help, it helps.

• Like 2