IGNORED

PSST! Did You Hear?

DarkTone

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, AstralSoul13 said:

Luigi in Super Mario 64. People would come up with the craziest things like collect exxactly 36 coins, get shot out of a cannon, ground stomp 5 times, and luigi would appear on top of the castle. They were all false.

"L is Real 2401"

That is exactly how I heard it.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:07 PM, DefaultGen said:

I 100% hold B every time I catch a Pokemon, in every version of the game. I don't care that it doesn't help, it helps.

While I have no idea about later titles, but in Green/Red/Blue/Yellow, pressing buttons affects the catch chances, but it is the same as random.

What happens when you attempt to catch something is the game will create a random number using a random number generator. This number will be a number from 0-255, or 0-200, and so on based on the ball you choose. (the lower the final number the better chance) Good random number generators use something like a global counter to grab a seed from. Then that random number runs through the rest of the algorithm that accounts for the other pokemon's state (poisoned, asleep, etc), it's catch rate, and some other factors. If that number at the end of the algorithm is low enough, you successfully caught it. 

What pressing buttons does is uses CPU cycles, and thus advancing whatever global timer the random number generator might be using to seed the random number. 

So pressing buttons does make the outcome different, but there is no way to ensure it is any more favorable than just doing nothing. 

Edited by TylerBarnes
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

In my school, before the Playstation was fully announced/finalized, there was the rumor that it was going to be a Nintendo system that had full backwards compatibility with all of the previous systems AND played CD-based games.

Well that system started it's life as a Nintendo collaboration combining a SNES with a CD-Rom drive. All that would have been 100% true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_CD-ROM

2 minutes ago, TylerBarnes said:

Well that system started it's life as a Nintendo collaboration combining a SNES with a CD-Rom drive. All that would have been 100% true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_CD-ROM

That wouldn't have had NES compatibility, though, which was somehow key to the rumor I recall.

EDIT: and the more I think about it, I wonder if my original memory was toned down by having read about the CD-add-on system years ago on the other forum.

I have the tickle of a memory that the original rumor my friend was circulating was that he read that the Playstation would play EVERYTHING (not just Nintendo). 

Edited by arch_8ngel

4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

That wouldn't have had NES compatibility, though, which was somehow key to the rumor I recall.

No NES compatibility. The 'telephone game' process that rumors propagate through can invent some wild inaccuracies. However the Super NES CD ROM is no doubt the seed by which yours likely originated. 

Edited by TylerBarnes