IGNORED

Goku vs Superman

phart010

I found some interesting videos on the topic of Goku vs Superman. To my disappointment, most of them seem to conclude that Superman would beat Goku (even considering Mastered Ultra Instinct form).

I don’t know too about Superman. But I do know that in addition to movies, and animated films, there are tons of Superman comics. I don’t remember seeing Superman being anywhere near as strong as they claim he is in the movies or tv shows.. are these claims of infinite strength displayed in any of the movies or animated films or is it just in the comics?

Infinite powered Superman is the most boring character ever. There's no excuse for him not to punch Lex Luthor and every other baddie into the sun in seconds, and who the fuck could stop him? Usually they try to pay some lip service to limiting his powers in the movies and TV (like the animated series made it so he had to wear a space suit, stuff like that.)

I know in the comics they'd occasionally have him manhandle black holes and such, but I think it was just comic writers trying to one up each other and keep him as the strongest character in the DC universe.

Superman gets his power from the sun. At one point he lived ON the sun for 15,000 years and became Superman Prime 1,000,000.

latest?cb=20131230001603

Goku however is close friends with God's God's God...........'s God. (Goku > Kami (god of earth) > King Kai (god of the northern quadrant of the universe) > Supreme Kai (God of the universe #7) > Zeno (god of the universes) who at will creates and destroys entire universes and is bestest friends with his future self.

Ah yes, the greatest of the internet debates. I generally like DEATH BATTLE's take(s) on the match-up

Spoiler

On 8/15/2020 at 10:20 PM, phart010 said:

I don’t know too about Superman. But I do know that in addition to movies, and animated films, there are tons of Superman comics. I don’t remember seeing Superman being anywhere near as strong as they claim he is in the movies or tv shows.. are these claims of infinite strength displayed in any of the movies or animated films or is it just in the comics?

Short Answer, yes. Most movies and cartoons drastically power down Superman, but in the comics... ho boy. Most notable is "Silver Age Superman" who would just make up new powers on the fly, and that's not even counting the ridiculously overpowered things he's done which include;

• Blowing out a sun and not breaking a sweat
  • Dragging a galaxy around no problem
  • Sneezing out an entire universe from existence
  • Flying out to/at "literal infinity"

"Modern Superman" aka the Superman that (generally) is the focus in comics after Crisis on Infinite Earths is considerably less ridiculous... but still is way over powered. It's generally accepted he has no upper limit to his power and is essentially just as powerful as the plot/writers dictate... where as Goku, even through they are extreme & ridiculous in his own right, has set limitations, which he has to constantly overcome. It boils down the storytelling; Goku works to become powerful, while Superman is simply as powerful as he needs to be.

17 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Superman has a huge weakness, Goku doesn’t AFAIK (kindheartedness, overconfidence?). Why can’t Goku just Kaio-ken-go-get-some-kryptonite.

Yes, because the always Honorable Goku, who gave Cell a Senzu Bean to be full power, in order to watch his (at the time) only child get the shit kicked out of him. Yes he would totally go and find Kryptonite to have the easy advantage over Superman 😛

An old go-to for Superman haters (I used to moderate/admin for the ScrewAttack forums with @fox, the website/company who were the creators of DEATH BATTLE so I saw this a lot lol). I'm of the camp Goku would have never used this, even if he could've even possibly known about it, which he would have absolutely no reason to.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

10 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Short Answer, yes. Most movies and cartoons drastically power down Superman, but in the comics... ho boy.

Would it not be fair to say Goku of the animated series is stronger than Superman of the animated series. And Superman of the comics is stronger than Goku of manga?

That's an interesting take but Goku is back with Super Dragonball where now he basically can transform even further into the form of a demi-god/god with the power he's packing now coupled with his old bag of tricks such as his insanely fast "instant transmission" which is most definitely faster than a speeding bullet.

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I don’t know about super man but Goku never stays dead.  He just comes back later significantly more powerful.

It's actually part of how Sayains increase their power. Everytime one is near death or has died and revived they get a ki boost. 

I think the only way Superman would have a chance against Goku would be through cunning plots, not strength. Goku has an indestructible body and a host of range attacks that Superman can't match.

Goku doesn't share the moral conflict that Superman shares either. He's dimwitted and light hearted. His motivation for fighting of keeping his home and his friends safe. He wants to get stronger bc fighting is fun and martial arts is a life long journey. 

What's more predictable is that they would fight for a little and at the end become friends. 

On 8/17/2020 at 9:33 AM, phart010 said:

Would it not be fair to say Goku of the animated series is stronger than Superman of the animated series. And Superman of the comics is stronger than Goku of manga?

Superman of specifically the "DC Animated Universe"? Probably. If you get less specific and/or start amalgamating Superman's various incarnations in animated or movie form, then would lean more often towards Superman winning.

On 8/18/2020 at 9:51 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

What's more predictable is that they would fight for a little and at the end become friends. 

There was a parody video of this that I recall seeing some time ago. It was wholesome 😛 lol

I think part of the reason why this is such a debate is because many Dragonball fans (like myself) only watch animations. I don’t really read comics. So when I hear about Superman’s amazing strength, I watch all these different animated films of Superman and it’s extremely underwhelming. Goku would destroy the heck out of Superman.

Meanwhile Superman fans are thinking back to all of the Superman comics they have read. And they’re basically thinking to themselves “nobody can beat Superman, he has infinite strength !” In my opinion that doesn’t count 🤣

I think Superman needs to step it up in the animated films. Ok Some may say it would be boring if he had infinite strength in animation.. to that I say, why would it not be boring in a comic book, but it would be boring in an animation? There are many comic book adapted films that have translated well..

Also, I think we need an official Superman versus Goku to finally settle things during my lifetime. Like Funimation and DC need to sign a deal and make a movie. It would be a bigger hit than the Dragonball Super Broly movie.

Edited by phart010

On 8/16/2020 at 12:08 PM, ThePhleo said:

Superman gets his power from the sun. At one point he lived ON the sun for 15,000 years and became Superman Prime 1,000,000.

latest?cb=20131230001603

Haha. Have to admit, when I first watched this video, and Superman turned gold, I busted out laughing so hard I cried, I had to pause the video for at least minutes before resuming it again. I did not realize golden Superman was actually a real thing. 

Edited by phart010

On 8/21/2020 at 10:35 PM, phart010 said:

Also, I think we need an official Superman versus Goku to finally settle things during my lifetime. Like Funimation and DC need to sign a deal and make a movie. It would be a bigger hit than the Dragonball Super Broly movie.

That will probably never happen. Sure Superman is about to enter the public domain, be more likely that he turns up in some form in "official DBZ" or w/e in 2025 when that has occurred lol

9 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

That will probably never happen. Sure Superman is about to enter the public domain, be more likely that he turns up in some form in "official DBZ" or w/e in 2025 when that has occurred lol

How does that work anyways? Can they make him public domain while DC is still actively making new content with him?

16 hours ago, phart010 said:

How does that work anyways? Can they make him public domain while DC is still actively making new content with him?

Yes, DC Simply won't be the only people making Superman stories anymore, but I'm sure they will hammer the point of them being the only place for "official Superman Stories".

A good example of how this all works would be the character of Sherlock Holmes. Holmes (as well as Watson) are characters in the public domain therefore anyone is allowed to use them in (almost) any way they see fit. However not all creations connected to Sherlock Holmes are public domain, as Conan Doyle estate still holds copyright to a few more stories written within the limitations of copyright, so those are not subject to public domain.

While Superman himself will be a character freely usable by anyone making a story, other elements will not be. For instance Jimmy Olson didn't appear in comics until a couple years after. Supergirl was not created until about 20 years after Superman originally debuted. Also this is the Golden Age Superman (1938's Action Comics #1 debut, or Superman of Earth-Two for anyone going off of Crisis on Infinite Earths denotations lol), Silver Age Superman and beyond will still be under copyright for a while.

A video by NerdSync a few years ago provides a pretty solid summary of how it all works, and a fun factoid in where Superman was actually a public domain character for a very brief time lol