IGNORED

Music Debate #75: Talking Heads

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

💦💦💦💦💦💦
I can't possibly not give this band 10/10

Everything about it is unique and inspiring, despite also hitting major mainstream appeal. David Byrne is a musical genius, and the same obviously goes for Eno, whom I'm guessing could be credited for taking the rough sound of the first record, and really putting individual spins on every individual track starting from the second.

To me, Fear of Music is the record that really establishes the band as what they are, and my favourite of theirs. Almost every single track is interesting, but also fun and entertaining. There's this constant of air seething sarcasm, and down to earth comedy mixed with insightful observations in all of Byrne's lyrics. Though I guess, no less through the feat of their "concert movie" Stop Making Sense (which all the videos in the first post are from!), Speaking in Tongues is probably the most popular representation of the band, with hits like Burning Down the House, This Must Be The Place, and Girlfriend is Better.
That said, Remain In Light might be what's most commonly considered their magnum opus, really setting itself apart from anything else at the time, including all of their other albums. That one actually took me a long time to digest, but it really is brilliant. Hell, even Angélique Kidjo's full cover of that entire record is amazing IMO. Especially The Great Curve.

If it's not obvious though, there's not a Talking Heads album I don't love. Even Naked which is often considered their weakest album (and is reportedly really mostly a Byrne solo effort), is still full of great, great stuff. In fact, I think Nothing But Flowers is most likely my favourite Talking Heads song. It's either that, or A Clean Break, which was strangely never released on any studio album.

Seriously, if you have enough time, you should consider going through this band's entire discography before casting your vote. It's magnificent.

• Like 4

Events Team · Posted

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I don't think I've ever really heard a Talking Heads song in it's entirety throughout my life, but having actually sat down and listened to some of the examples given in this thread, I'm gonna go straight for the 9, possibly bordering on a 10. I'm definitely gonna check out their discography over the next few days, I really, really like what I've heard thus far.

1 hour ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

5/10 for me

I think this is the epitome of one of those bands that like "I know that song/band!" when you hear them on the radio but then promptly forget they ever existed until the next time you hear their song then again "I know that song!..." ad naseum lol

Aw, so you gave them a low rating without really knowing their music then 😓

49 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Aw, so you gave them a low rating without really knowing their music then 😓

If by "really know their music" you mean listen to every single song, read their wikipedia three times through entirely, chat with them after work, take them out for dinner and drinks, and maybe get lucky, then no I guess I "don't really know them" lol

I listened to nearly everything that was in the OP, then went and listened to "properly produced" songs elsewhere, and just not feeling it (I personally don't really care for live performance versions of songs, if I wanted to listen to them live I'd go see them in concert, listening to a concert recording after the fact doesn't really do it for me)

3 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

If by "really know their music" you mean listen to every single song, read their wikipedia three times through entirely, chat with them after work, take them out for dinner and drinks, and maybe get lucky, then no I guess I "don't really know them" lol

Yes!!

No, I'm not judging you or anything. I will do the same thing for any band that I don't care for at all and only pointed this out due to this being one of my favourite bands of all time. Nearly everything they made is interesting (so "listening to every song" genuinely pays off), and pigeonholing them as "that kind of band you forget about immediately" just strikes me as incredibly absurd. 😛

I'm not a fan of concert recordings either, but Stop Making Sense is really something different entirely. It's always advertised as a "concert movie" which comes across as somewhat pretentious, but looking at the direction and choreography behind it, it makes sense. It's incredibly entertaining to watch in full, which I couldn't really say for any other band in spite of whatever crazy gwar-like theatrics they might like to pull.

• 2 months later...