IGNORED

Moderately easy but fun co-op games?

MaddenCollector

Hey guys - 

Looking for some new games for my fiancé and I to play - neither of us are exactly superstar gamers so it can’t be anything too challenging. At the same time, we don’t want something that’s too easy and boring.

Some games we’ve enjoyed:

LEGO Harry Potter

LEGO Star Wars 

Currently playing New Super Mario Bros Wii

Games we didn’t enjoy:

Wii Tangled

Epic Mickey 2

Toy Story 3

Systems we have:

NES, SNES, Genesis (full libraries on Pi)

N64

PS1/PS2

Xbox, Xbox One

Wii/Gamecube

Switch (would prefer to stay away from these until my controller comes back from joycon repair)

As you can see by the games we’ve played, we play stuff she likes haha. I play my games after she falls asleep, which is thankfully around 9pm 🙂

Edited by MaddenCollector

Events Team · Posted

A Way Out, which I believe is available on Xbox One. It's a 2 player co-op game, one of the best I've ever played. Me and one of my friends played it on PC a couple years back, and it was an amazing experience, easily some of the most fun either of us have ever had in a video game.

I will give a warning though that, while it is probably my favorite co-op only game, it is fairly story driven, and the story has a more serious tone to it, so I'm not sure if it would be the type of thing you two would enjoy judging by the games you've played. And also, fair warning, the story has a couple sad moments to it. The difficulty is good though, it has a couple fairly tough sections, but it's certainly not anything incredibly challenging.

Like I said, not sure it would be the type of thing you'd enjoy, but I'll always take any chance I can to recommend A Way Out to people, I had a ton of fun playing it.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

Starsky and Hutch PS2 with the Gun Con.  One person drives while the other shoots.  It's a blast. 

TG4OIbm.jpg

Earth Defense Force 2017 (or 2025).  Local coop blasting giant bugs and robots with 100% destructible environments. (Should be able to play the 360 versions on the Xbone I think.)

uiUSp3m.jpg

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 1

Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers comes to mind.
And Kirby Super Star or Fun Pak or whatever it might be called in your region.
Zombies Ate My Neighbours is fun in coop, takes a while to get really difficult if you play from the start.
All the Super Bomberman games aside from #2 have co-op, as well as Saturn Bomberman, definitely underrated!
Super Bomberman 5 especially is amazingly good. 3 and 4 are on the very easy side, but they might fit the request better.

Seconding Goof Troop also. That game feels like it was designed for co-op.

• Like 1

TMNT Hyperstone Heist - Genesis 

Super Double Dragon SNES (Fully trained hack)

Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES

Contra - NES

NBA Jam - system of choice 

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - SNES (double check but IIRC it is co-op)

Psychic Detective - PS1 (one player but logic through it together)

I've been doing a lot of co-op games with my son, he’s 5.  If we can handle them you guys probably can too.

• Like 1

On N64 I would say the best co-op game is probably Duke Nukem 64. Me and my brother or my mates would ALWAYS go back to that one time and time again, because essentially the game basically doesn't really change at all depending on whether there are one or two people playing, and only one person needs to actually finish the level to progress, so you can each play at your own pace. Plus, obviously Duke Nukem is a right laugh anyway, and there's jet packs and all sorts of fun stuff to do and explore!

Perfect Dark also has a co-op mode, which can also be very fun, but due to the way the level objectives are designed, that game is best played with two experienced players who know what they're doing. Otherwise you can end up failing objectives and having to restart levels, which isn't ideal. There are also plenty of racing games and sports games that you can play through like career and championship modes together too, the N64 has a lot to offer on that front.

8 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

Sad to say, this is the only way I have ever beat it.

Give it a few tries. Contra really isn't that hard. You get a ton of extra lives throughout a game, and as long as you can keep hold of your spreadshot, it's quite easy to stay afloat.
The claim that "the 30 lives code is the only way to beat contra" has become a bit of a regrettable self-inforced proverb on the internet. It really doesn't hold true at all. It's a fine way to practice the game though - but play it few a through times, and you'll know well enough which chokepoints to watch out for.