IGNORED

Most Graphically Impressive NES Games in 2019

SoleGoose

I know that this question has been asked and answered a lot over the years, but in your mind what are the most graphically impressive games for the NES? We've seen the rise of faux retro games, played and replayed the classics, and maybe found some oddities along the way, so perhaps your opinion has changed. I was really surprised by some of that stuff in the new "Pushing the Limits of the NES thread," so it's time to re-examine. Maybe it is not even one game, but a whole family of games. Capcom does it for me in that regard (Mega Man, Disney games, Little Nemo), whereas Square and Konami are too messy/detailed. Is it the colors, the presence of detail (or lack thereof), or composition of levels that do it for you? What about perspective? The NES was great for platformers, but what about overhead views? I found some images today that blew me away and that I had not see before (Chaos World). And then there are sub-screens like the map from Little Samson, or the stylized feel of Castlevania III. Enough from me, what say ye all?

*Images are MORE than welcome. I have none, although I guess that this would be a good test to see how easy it is to upload images on VGS.

• Like 2

I guess I'll be the guy to instantly not follow the rules, lol. 

But the one thing that comes to mind for me personally when someone asks "Impressive things on the NES?" isn't a game but instead the Axelay tech demo by French dev, upsilandre

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=186530

Edited by TylerBarnes
  • Like 2

Everything about Castlevania III. I know it's a common answer, but the color palate, art style, even some effects are the finest on the NES even if it's not the tippiest top of what the NES can do technically. Gloomy reds and purples and blues and greens. It looks soooo good.

spacer.png

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out is amazing, it consistently makes me go "whoa, this is on NES" despite being one of the most classic titles. Very emotive characters and even in their fighting styles they have real personality.

spacer.png

The same year, this static end screen is how these tiny characters showed emotion😴

spacer.png

• Like 2

That Axelay demo is great. I had one fellow ask me "can you just do this?" and that was a hard NO. Too smart for me.

CV3 is one that I need to play and fully appreciate. Impressive doesn't have to mean not said before, but also is it still impressive even after the hype? You bet for CV3, and many others. Thanks for posting images!

Batman Return of the Joker always comes to mind for me when this topic comes up. The sprite of Batman is almost 16 bit quality.

Sticking with late-release Sunsoft titles, I think Mr Gimmick & Super Spy Hunter have some very impressive graphics.

A few others I’ll add off the top of my head are Little Samson, Crisis Force, Isolated Warrior, Shatterhand, Kirby’s Adventure, & Mega Man 6.

+1 for MTPO and CV3.

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, TylerBarnes said:

But the one thing that comes to mind for me personally when someone asks "Impressive things on the NES?" isn't a game but instead the Axelay tech demo by French dev, upsilandre

So dope.

15 hours ago, Fleck586 said:

That Axelay demo is insane

Yeah, I wish he made it into an actual game. Even a short Blade Buster style game would have been awesome.

I understand that he was just experimenting, it's all good, but that would have been legendary if it was realized.

18 hours ago, TylerBarnes said:

That's really cool.

I've heard somewhere that Super Mario Bros. was originally intended to be the perfect cartridge game you could make on stock Famicom/NES hardware. Because after that Nintendo released the Famicom Disk System which introduced additional hardware performance. And not to mention the many MMCs that would alter be used. So from a modern perspective you could probably just list most MMC games, but back then SMB was state-of-the-art.

Btw. @SoleGoose How did you come across Chaos World? It's such a rare and elusive game.

9 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I've heard somewhere that Super Mario Bros. was originally intended to be the perfect cartridge game you could make on stock Famicom/NES hardware. Because after that Nintendo released the Famicom Disk System which introduced additional hardware performance. And not to mention the many MMCs that would alter be used. So from a modern perspective you could probably just list most MMC games, but back then SMB was state-of-the-art.

Btw. @SoleGoose How did you come across Chaos World? It's such a rare and elusive game.

Super Mario Bros. is outstanding for a 1985 console release. It was one of the first games to feel like a more modern platformer as opposed to Donkey Kong and the like.

17 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Yeah, by graphically impressive I meant graphically impressive in a subjective sense, not a technical one. There are a lot of MMC games that aren't impressive in any way from the player's perspective. SMB1 has very good use of color and well defined objects.

I don't recall how I found out about Chaos World, either perusing files or ROMHacking.net. I'm always looking for new titles that I have not heard about (especially RPGs), often as the result of random image searches, and I keep files of interesting things that I find. Always looking for influences or ways to make a better game.

Events Team · Posted

Ima throw another homebrew out there.  Lucky Penguin uses flickering to layer additional colors on the backgrounds.  Pretty rad.  

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=175732&StartRow=1

Edited by JamesRobot

On 10/24/2019 at 12:38 PM, Strikezone1 said:

A few others I’ll add off the top of my head are Little Samson, Crisis Force, Isolated Warrior, Shatterhand, Kirby’s Adventure, & Mega Man 6.

+1 for Crisis Force. If you like shooters, it is well worth a look. There are some cool effects, even by the end of the first level (~2:45)

• Like 1