IGNORED

Lego NES Console Announced

Events Team · Posted

Rumor has it Lego is releasing an official 1:1 NES console on August 1st this year for $229.99  Comes with a TV that scrolls SMB too.  As rad as it is, I don't know if I can justify spending that cash. 

Anybody gonna grab one of these?  Shelf candy only or would you build it?

tu2imO8.jpg

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/nintendo_will_reportedly_release_a_usd250_lego_nes_console_next_month

Edited by JamesRobot
Updated official price.
  • Like 5
  • Wow! 1

It's a lot of money but, that is just how much lego sets of that size cost. 

I totally want one, but there have been a few other sets over the years where I've said the same thing but then couldn't ultimately bring myself to drop the cash.   

Legos IMO are severely overpriced and are only able to charge that much due to the nostagia of the kids that used to play with them finally adults now and have full time jobs and can afford to spend $69.99 for a kit of something they think their children would like.  I go to the Dollar Store and buy a couple of their dollar ones and my kid loves them.  I refuse to support Legos so I will not be buying this, Nintendo related or not.  

22 minutes ago, DannyTheDonk said:

Legos IMO are severely overpriced and are only able to charge that much due to the nostagia of the kids that used to play with them finally adults now and have full time jobs and can afford to spend $69.99 for a kit of something they think their children would like.  I go to the Dollar Store and buy a couple of their dollar ones and my kid loves them.  I refuse to support Legos so I will not be buying this, Nintendo related or not.  

That's actually not entirely true.  It's been about 5 years or so, but I saw this looong blog post that some LEGO nerd made asking the question and answering "are LEGO more expensive than they were when we were kids?"

He took sample, retail prices of various sets, grouped them together with small, medium and large pieces, priced out each piece of lego, and then re-priced them for inflation.  LEGO have gotten cheaper with time, consistently, when accounting for inflation.  Now, that's not to say they are "cheap" but I think the reason why they have lasting power is because they are high-quality products and they give really, really good instructions without having to read.  Nostalgia may keep them in business, I suppose, but kids love them as much to day as they did in the 70s and 80s and on a piece-by-piece basis, they are not more expensive.  We're just seeing bigger, more complex sets because that's what older, more mature LEGO fans want.

And in regards to this set, I'm actually quite surprised this happened.  Nintendo already had licensed LEGO-like products.  I can't recall the product but I was bummed when I saw them.  I am a LEGO fan (and my kids therefore have plenty of them) but I was disappointed to see that Nintendo went with a knock-off company to make a builder-type product.  I'm glad to see that license must have expired and we are getting an official LEGO/Nintendo product.  I doubt I'll be buying a set at that price, but if this opens the door for smaller, licensed sets, I'll be all about that.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

That's actually not entirely true.  It's been about 5 years or so, but I saw this looong blog post that some LEGO nerd made asking the question and answering "are LEGO more expensive than they were when we were kids?"

He took sample, retail prices of various sets, grouped them together with small, medium and large pieces, priced out each piece of lego, and then re-priced them for inflation.  LEGO have gotten cheaper with time, consistently, when accounting for inflation.  Now, that's not to say they are "cheap" but I think the reason why they have lasting power is because they are high-quality products and they give really, really good instructions without having to read.  Nostalgia may keep them in business, I suppose, but kids love them as much to day as they did in the 70s and 80s and on a piece-by-piece basis, they are not more expensive.  We're just seeing bigger, more complex sets because that's what older, more mature LEGO fans want.

And in regards to this set, I'm actually quite surprised this happened.  Nintendo already had licensed LEGO-like products.  I can't recall the product but I was bummed when I saw them.  I am a LEGO fan (and my kids therefore have plenty of them) but I was disappointed to see that Nintendo went with a knock-off company to make a builder-type product.  I'm glad to see that license must have expired and we are getting an official LEGO/Nintendo product.  I doubt I'll be buying a set at that price, but if this opens the door for smaller, licensed sets, I'll be all about that.

As a LEGO collector I can confirm this is all accurate.

LEGO recently acquired the license for Nintendo so we will be seeing more of these sets aimed at the adult audience in the future. 
LEGO have realised that a big part of their revenue comes from AFOLs (adult fans of LEGO) and have increasingly started making sets like these for display purposes.

This isn’t actually too badly priced for a licensed set. I think it will probably be around a 2500 piece set so it will be only around 10cents a piece. The Star Wars sets can be worse.

The beauty of LEGO is that you could use all those parts and build something else with it. That’s where I think non LEGO people don’t understand the value.

$250 is a good price range and if you think $250 is a lot then don’t even look at prices for older sets. Makes video game collecting seem like loose change.

Also, a fun fact, the plural of LEGO is LEGO not LEGOs.

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted

I was initially interested, but then I remembered how expensive LEGO is... 😅

I'd love to have one, but yeah, I simply cannot justify the price. I personally was kind of hoping it'd be smaller, like the size of the NES Classic, since that probably would've been a lot more affordable than 1:1.

57 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Super cool but I can’t throw down Lego’s crazy prices I don’t think. Can’t wait to see how people mod it.

Same here. I like lego's but not in my budget. I can use that money for games. I do like to see what people do with them though.

4 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I was initially interested, but then I remembered how expensive LEGO is... 😅

I'd love to have one, but yeah, I simply cannot justify the price. I personally was kind of hoping it'd be smaller, like the size of the NES Classic, since that probably would've been a lot more affordable than 1:1.

Build your own dude! That's the great thing about LEGO you can do what you like with it! 🙂

8 hours ago, GameboyRicky said:

Awesome!  I can't imagine they're going to make a ton of these with that price.  I WILL be trying to get one!

are u new? this is going to sell like hotcakes. Lego collector set pricing has been those prices for years. This is going to sell out at every lego vip buck promotional time. People who love lego, is the same demographic that likes nintendo. Its going to sell very well. Im def getting one.

11 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

are u new? this is going to sell like hotcakes. Lego collector set pricing has been those prices for years. This is going to sell out at every lego vip buck promotional time. People who love lego, is the same demographic that likes nintendo. Its going to sell very well. Im def getting one.

Am I new to what?  Making and selling are two different things.  These will be in limited production in comparison to cheaper sets priced between say $50-$100 and that are based on more recent pop culture.  This particular set targets a very niche market of people like the people on this site.

20 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

I think this set will be around for a year or two at least, so people shouldn’t have to go too crazy. Might be harder to buy at release, but people definitely shouldn’t pay scalper prices if they miss out. 

My advice would be to sign up for LEGO VIP (it’s free) and you will be able to buy it directly from LEGO a few days before the official launch.

• Thanks 1

Just now, GameboyRicky said:

Am I new to what?  Making and selling are two different things.  These will be in limited production in comparison to cheaper sets priced between say $50-$100 and that are based on more recent pop culture.  This particular set targets a very niche market of people like the people on this site.

I doubt you see these in a store thats not a Lego Store. Itll be online purchases. Theyll make plenty. Itll initially sell out, go to 30 day backorder, then ramp production. Its how all these big themed sets go. Then will go back to backorder every time there is a special promotion for rewards vip bucks.

Are u new? is a joke. Its from boy meets world early seasons. Corey always said, Are you new? . I was refering to your lack of knowledge how lego sells high priced sets and production of them. 

Honestly, if this set is at all limited, I have no doubt it will sell out fast and in a few years be worth $$$. This will especially be the case if LEGO Corp gets whatever insanity bug Nintendo got when they thought the Nintendo Mini would be super niche and only sell 50,000 units.

Edited by RH

8 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I think this set will be around for a year or two at least, so people shouldn’t have to go too crazy. Might be harder to buy at release, but people definitely shouldn’t pay scalper prices if they miss out. 

My advice would be to sign up for LEGO VIP (it’s free) and you will be able to buy it directly from LEGO a few days before the official launch.

yea thats what i was just saying as you replied in a follow up post. Its not going to be limited at all. Itll do what every lego collector set like this is. Sellout at post and go on 30 day backorder where they still take orders just delayed. Then it gets ramped up and available for purchase again. They occasionally go out of stock after every vip promotion so they can limit how many people get all those double vip bucks.

Lego generally carries sets for a couple years. There will be plenty over time. No need to buy a marked up one. Lego doesnt operate like nintendo did with amiibo and the classic edition consoles

The one dude was saying it wouldnt be made as much as the 50-100 sets. Well no shit, because these nintendo sets are marketed for adult lego purchasers, and not a kid impulse buy at a store. Kids dont buy the expensive sets. The NES Sold millions of units. This has way more cross appeal than the dude thinks. For instance, the NES classic edition, millions of units. NES Sells.

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Quest4Nes said:

yea thats what i was just saying as you replied in a follow up post.

Haha yep just saw that as I posted.

As you said, no need to go crazy trying to get this if it sells out initially.

LEGO aren’t like Nintendo and make some super low number of units and then act surprised when it sells out in a day.

If people miss out, just wait for the next production cycle.

The only advice I’d give to people is actually buy the set during the release years because one LEGO stop making it that’s when the sets will start sky rocketing. I think this set will definitely be around for a while. We don’t know the licence agreement terms with Nintendo but I’m pretty sure LEGO didn’t make a crazy deal where they can only make a limited supply.

Hopefully this is successful and we see other consoles in the future.

1 minute ago, Shmup said:

Haha yep just saw that as I posted.

As you said, no need to go crazy trying to get this if it sells out initially.

LEGO aren’t like Nintendo and make some super low number of units and then act surprised when it sells out in a day.

If people miss out, just wait for the next production cycle.

The only advice I’d give to people is actually buy the set during the release years because one LEGO stop making it that’s when the sets will start sky rocketing. I think this set will definitely be around for a while. We don’t know the licence agreement terms with Nintendo but I’m pretty sure LEGO didn’t make a crazy deal where they can only make a limited supply.

Hopefully this is successful and we see other consoles in the future.

yea def dont wait till after production cycle in a couple years. Worst time to buy lego